DISCUSSION THREAD -- SEPTEMBER 2022 -- 75 Word Challenge

It's Open Genre this month, so, no, doesn't have to be SFF.

It's Open Genre this month, so, no, doesn't have to be SFF.
Since people tend to consider that when they vote, it may be a good idea to emphasize that entries do not have to be SFF themed when the voting page goes up.

Well, sorry to say, but after warning others to be sure to count their words in the story carefully, I lost this month's story to word count. My word count was indeed 75 but in the last line I wrote “Somethings last and others don’t. Don’t be confused as to which is which.” A line I was extremely happy with, but if you are observant you will note that somethings is not a word, it should be some things which is two words and pushes me to 76. Sigh! I am so sad about this.
@Parson ,

I've seen far worse. One had 96 words and received a vote! Given your preemptive mea culpa I vote to reinstate!

Since people tend to consider that when they vote, it may be a good idea to emphasize that entries do not have to be SFF themed when the voting page goes up.
That's a good idea. It's probably my story that drew the question. I indeed saw it was open season for genres so chose alternate history.

@Parson ,

I've seen far worse. One had 96 words and received a vote! Given your preemptive mea culpa I vote to reinstate!
It wasn't "preemptive." I received a personal "conversation" note which informed me of the action and the reason. But if I had been preemptive I still would have asked that it would be taken down. I am not happy with myself when I find myself breaking the rules.

-----------

@Starbeast ..... 2012: Courtroom Smoking Ban Effective .... S. B. shows us that neither honor nor judges have to have a single set of actions to make it effective.

It wasn't "preemptive." I received a personal "conversation" note which informed me of the action and the reason. But if I had been preemptive I still would have asked that it would be taken down. I am not happy with myself when I find myself breaking the rules.

-----------

@Starbeast ..... 2012: Courtroom Smoking Ban Effective .... S. B. shows us that neither honor nor judges have to have a single set of actions to make it effective.
That kind of 1.3% word advantage would've swept you into the winner's circle.
(Or should I have said "would have"?)

HM
@Raz2k13 - did you just experiment with adding instead of reducing?
@Iwroteathing - no clue why but i ambit sea sick after reading this story… gonna grab some grog, me think…
@Bowler1 - no little geishas after all but i am gonna stick to my original misread of your title and initial “Total War” vibes :D
@Phyrebrat - have no clue where is the honour in here, but i like the voice in here
@Hugh - smart, funny, with message, close vote but theme seems forced
@Elckerlyc - did enjoy this one… kinda nonobvious. Usage of honor within story.
vote
@Astro Pen you had me at the title :p
Probably i could HM more but i failed to understand some and this might be due to my non-native english..

Well, sorry to say, but after warning others to be sure to count their words in the story carefully, I lost this month's story to word count. My word count was indeed 75 but in the last line I wrote “Somethings last and others don’t. Don’t be confused as to which is which.” A line I was extremely happy with, but if you are observant you will note that somethings is not a word, it should be some things which is two words and pushes me to 76. Sigh! I am so sad about this.
I know how that feels. In my case I once used thankyou instead of thank you.

I voted for The Burden of Command by @BigJ for its perfect display of honour.
I also liked One Last Step by @Troyzan787 for another honourbale suicide but with a twist
And 2012: Courtroom Smoking Ban Effective by @Starbeast for making me laugh

Bruce MacLean honors the power of conscience.

Astro Pen honors the willingness to accept one's failures.

Bren G honors learning from the wise.

Starbeast honors the strength of satire.

Ursa major honors skill at wordplay.

Short list:

Raz2k13

JS Wiig

Jo Zebedee

sule

The Judge

Bren G

VOTE:

johnnyjet

Last edited:
My Long List, Short List, and *** Favorite ***: