DISCUSSION THREAD -- SEPTEMBER 2022 -- 75 Word Challenge

It wasn't "preemptive." I received a personal "conversation" note which informed me of the action and the reason. But if I had been preemptive I still would have asked that it would be taken down. I am not happy with myself when I find myself breaking the rules.

-----------

@Starbeast ..... 2012: Courtroom Smoking Ban Effective .... S. B. shows us that neither honor nor judges have to have a single set of actions to make it effective.
Very honorable, @Parson.
Other honorable mentions for this month's entries:

My vote went to @The Judge, for a startlingly, elloquently beautiful poem.

Bowler1 walks on stage, where he belongs, with the spotlights on him.

Mentions
Jo Zebedee, an Irish entry and thought provoking - Big J - BT Jones and great minds indeed - AnRoinnUltra with something off the wall that was too left field for me, but with two votes as I type this, so go for it buddy - PM - Mosaix and my vote, well done - and last but not least Starbeast, with an entry that had no relation to this months theme that I could see but who cares, it made me laugh.

Bowler1 draws his samurai sword, and poses with menace - this month only, get your swords here.

@JS Wiig I really struggled with this month's because, to be honest, I have no idea of what a code of honor I could live by would look like - and didn't want to write something that was just me being negative about the month's subject.

@Victoria Silverwolf @Parson thank you for the reviews and thank you to all the writers for sharing your stories!

Seems that for many, honor involves suicide, which I find . . . curious. In that light I voted for @Jo Zebedee for a well written and less self-offing offering.
Yeah, that bothered me as well. I even wrote a 75-word story about that. Not the one that I entered, though. I'll post it later.

@Victoria Silverwolf @Parson thank you for the reviews and thank you to all the writers for sharing your stories!

Seems that for many, honor involves suicide, which I find . . . curious. In that light I voted for @Jo Zebedee for a well written and less self-offing offering.
Yeah, sorry…
I really wanted not to do this but instantly after reading title and genre I saw the scene of ‘love/death story with falling cherry blossom in the background’ and it was kinda beautiful…
Couldn’t resist, and had to get it out of my head.

@JS Wiig I really struggled with this month's because, to be honest, I have no idea of what a code of honor I could live by would look like - and didn't want to write something that was just me being negative about the month's subject.

I couldn’t get “no honor among thieves” out of my head, and when I did a bit of searching found out it actually started out as “honor among thieves”, which is where my story came from.

Just a gentle reminder, in case things inadvertantly veer that way, that explaining one's story before the voting is over is against greatly frowned upon.

Oops and yikes! Sorry ‘bout that.

Time to vote:

Shortlisted:

For Peace by @Jo Zebedee because it speaks of an honor which is deeply true.

The Burden of Command by @BigJ because it shows how honor is about saving lives not taking them.

Watchman by @Phyrebrat for its very evocative use of language and metaphor.

The faith and the love and the hope are all in the waiting by @The Judge because it strikes an honor giving act that near everyone can recognize.

A Promise Made... by @Elckerlyc because it speaks about the honor which comes to the one who is acting honorably at considerable cost, while pillaring a false honor.

----------

This was an easy choice for me. For Peace by @Jo Zebedee is a gem, and more importantly it underlines the fact that honor is about enhancing life, often at great personal cost, and not about taking it to satisfy some arbitrary code.

I think its a little strange that several people are voting along some sort of moral line. "Honor" is many things, including a highly violent personal code. Fiction can be moral, amoral or immoral and illustrate itself with both moral and immoral character behavior.

But that has nothing to do with the quality of the fiction. Which is what I thought we were here for.

I think its a little strange that several people are voting along some sort of moral line. "Honor" is many things, including a highly violent personal code. Fiction can be moral, amoral or immoral and illustrate itself with both moral and immoral character behavior.

But that has nothing to do with the quality of the fiction. Which is what I thought we were here for.
If we all chose favourite fiction based on its ‘quality’ and not its resonance with what makes us tick -including our beliefs and moral code - I’d be amazed,

Back