What was the last movie you saw?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Pt 1)

Dark, enjoyable, close to the book, but an awful lot of camping....

Aw man, there's a scene with a jumbo jet!? Gotta see me that film...

Meanwhile, I've seen The Expendables and have to say I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It wasn't just nostalgia either (though there was, undoubtably, a bit of that involved), but rather just some cracking action. Nevermind the plot, of course - that's as bog-standard as can be.

Watched The Usual Suspects earlier. Seen it before, but not paying all that much attention, so awesome to watch it properly.

And poof, like that, she's gone...

Meanwhile, I've seen The Expendables and have to say I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It wasn't just nostalgia either (though there was, undoubtably, a bit of that involved), but rather just some cracking action. Nevermind the plot, of course - that's as bog-standard as can be.

Great film, i loved it. one DVD i'll be investing in. Loved Jet Li in it.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Not having read any of the comics, I still thought this was a reasonably well told story, for what it is.

Dial M for Murder
Not one of the best Hitchcock films but a decent one all the same, with a droll performance from Ray Milland as the murderous husband.

Black Sunday/Mask Of Satan. Yes, Barbara Steele. But still, not a particularly original or gripping movie. Or perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it. And despite all that, there are one or two moments where the imagery well and truly hits home.

Bride of Frankenstein - one of the films I had been meaning to see for years but had never got around to it! I was very impressed, and will now endeavour to catch up on more classic universal horror!

Black Sunday/Mask Of Satan. Yes, Barbara Steele. But still, not a particularly original or gripping movie. Or perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it. And despite all that, there are one or two moments where the imagery well and truly hits home.
I love this. Granted the plot's a hodge-podge - are these devil worshipers or vampires? But Bava's technical finesse more than compensates. It has great mood (with some hilarious moments) and I think it's quite the thing for a lazy afternoon/night.

I used to think Barbara Steele was the hottest thing, right behind Haley Mills. Kids them days!

Just watched the remake of "Clash of the Titans" on DVD.
It seemed as if the production team lost pages of script because the story chopped, danced, and otherwised refuse to flow. The effects were just okay, not as neat as I expected from a remake, given the potential. But in terms of acting and writing this one has to be one of the worst in recent years. Uggh.

I would agree with the latter option, and with Ravenus' take on it. The film definitely has its flaws, but it is chock-full of atmosphere, and Bava's direction and the cinematography are exceptional. However, if you're not in the right mood for it... yep, it can go pffft rather quickly, as I know from experience....*wince*

Easter parade

Now, that's not a title I expected to see around here! Wonderful little film, though....

Bride of Frankenstein - one of the films I had been meaning to see for years but had never got around to it! I was very impressed, and will now endeavour to catch up on more classic universal horror!

It wasn't until I was in my late 20's that I managed to catch that one -- it was then being shown as part of a film class my wife was in, and I attended the screening. Definitely worth the wait; a lovely film on so many levels, with (at times) an almost balletic movement to it....

I used to think Barbara Steele was the hottest thing, right behind Haley Mills. Kids them days!

Okay, I think I just did my psyche some serious damage trying to get my head around that combination.....:p

Most recently, I went back and re-watched Beyond the Wall of Sleep (2009). This one has had a strange effect on me, and one I've not been able to quite define. To put it simply, it's a gawdawful film in nearly every way (save for the score, which is actually rather good, often atmospheric, and at times quite lovely). The acting is, by and large, so over the top that it loses any possibility of connecting with the audience even as farce (there are one or two minor roles where this is not the case, but it remains true for all the major ones); the alterations to Lovecraft's story are, by and large, ludicrous, unnecessary, poorly constructed, unoriginal, and frankly lame; the research on the level of medical/scientific knowledge/practice at the period is nonexistent (a definite no-no when dealing with a period Lovecraft piece); and the editing -- ye gods!!!!!!

I've never been a fan of this tendency for slash-cuts, jumpy cinema verite, vacillating between black-and-white and color, montage-gone-mad which seems so popular -- at least since someone saw the credits for Seven and thought that was the way to do an entire film; but, when used sparingly, or for particular purposes, it can be quite effective and get across a particularly psychological or dramatic point. Here, it is used for roughly 95% of the actual film and, while in certain parts it is done to make a particular point or to foreshadow a development, etc., on the whole it is gratuitous and annoying as hell!

Yet, for all that... I found myself going back and watching it. I must admit that I feel slightly more kindly toward it this time (though obviously not much), but I still would love to knock together the heads of the people responsible for butchering what actually had the potential to have been a rather fine film, if they hadn't vomited everything "kewl" about every cheap horror movie made for the past 40 years back into a single production!

There are some fine touches here and there; a melancholy feel to some of the early portions of the film (greatly enhanced by the score); some interesting ideas about the interrelationship between the dream world and our own waking experience; even an attempt to link this to the "Cthulhu Mythos" which had some potential but ended up being simply silly... but had some nice elements along the way. But all of this goes for naught, as the film as a whole is one of the most amateurish, overblown, nonsensical, moronic, and simply bad efforts at filmmaking I've seen... and I've sat through numerous exhibits of student films in my time.....

Finally got a chance to watch the new restored version of Metropolis.

Personally, I didn't think that the new footage (extremely poor quality when compared with the rest of the movie) added much to the existing versions. It certainly didn't propel the plot or produce any major surprises. It did, however, flesh out the character of The Thin Man a bit more.

There are still bits and pieces missing (e.g. the fight between Rotwang and Frederson that allows the real Maria to escape Rotwang's clutches) but this is probably about as whole as we will ever see it.

I don't think people who have only seen previous versions will have missed out on an awful lot if they never get around to watching this newest reconstruction.

It's been a while since I've watched Metropolis and any excuse to see this masterpiece should be utilised so - on that alone - I urge every fan of Metropolis to go get yourself a copy, press play, turn down the lights and enjoy.....:)

Is this the film where the guy is always putting gel in his hair, and when queried about it he opines 'Dry hair is for squibs!'?t

Too late, I've wiped that viewing experience from my memory so I can't say yea or nay.