Imperial Assassin

I can't wait for this book, alll the books end so sudden it makes you want to read on

Red Phoenix said:
I can't wait for this book

Mark,

Just wondering whether you could give us all an update on progress with 'Imperial Assassin'? Is the November publication date still firm? How is everything going with the publication process? I, for one, would be really interested to hear from you during the coming months, to get a better appreciation of what's involved in bringing a novel out into the public arena, particularly in the UK context.

Cheers,
Patrick.

Patrick,

At present I am buried in editing! My editor made several very astute observations about the plot (as did you) and I am juggling text, re-writing certain sections and generally tweaking. I currently have four story/English proof readers of my own whose advice and comments I take very seriously. I met with my editor yesterday in London and discussed the changes I had made to the script to strengthen the areas of weakness, change the plot to smooth the storyline and keep the characters feeling true to themselves. It seems I have solved all the major problems. What is left is the polish.

Over the next week I will go through all the comments of my proof readers again to see whether I've missed anything, then I'll send the final manuscript back to the publisher. They will then put it through their own proof reading/line editing process. However, I would expect them to produce an uncorrected proof at this stage, which will then be sent out to shops/reviewers for them to read in preparation for the launch in November.

The proof read copy with suggested amendments will most likely return to me in a month, or two. I will then have to check that I agree with the amendments suggested by the proof reader. This becomes a bartering match between the editor and I to ensure that we are both happy with the finished result.

It's an involved process, but it does produce a polished product. The bottom line is that November is still good. I hope this answers some of your questions.

AmazingAmanda253 said:
Are you still taking editors?

Welcome to Chronicles, Amazing Amanda. I'm afraid the final version of Imperial Assassin has now gone to the publisher, so I'm not looking for any more comments on that particular manuscript. However, I'm currently drafting Imperial Traitor, which will eventually need readers to go through it. Are you simply interested in being a proof reader, or have you done such work before?

Wait a minute thats unfair buildning up suspense like that !!!

Sending off the final version in may so you'll have it back by July easy, i should be ready by august: Why realease it soooo far away, you know we are all ding to hear your work, why the build up Mark?

Ah, but that is how he got those first 15,000 sold - our Mark is an excellent salesman and knows what he's about! Of course, those that bought that first 15,000 are now hooked and don't need the sales pitch, but he's working on any new people he may drag into his cult :=)

Just kidding, anyway, I'm sure that this is all in the interest of keeping us, his fans, aware of what is going on, not really to tease us (though he knows it does). This way he won't be bugged with a million emails and PM's asking when the next book is due and whatnot.

Red Phoenix said:
Wait a minute thats unfair buildning up suspense like that !!!

Sending off the final version in may so you'll have it back by July easy, i should be ready by august: Why realease it soooo far away, you know we are all ding to hear your work, why the build up Mark?

Sorry it's taken so long to answer this. I should point out, Red, that 8 months between titles released is actually very quick compared to most. The fact that I'm ahead of schedule means nothing to the publisher. They have control over when the book is launched. You should think yourself lucky - on the original publishing schedule it wasn't due for launch until April 07!

I'm currently re-reading for (im embarrassed to say) the third time The Darkweaver Legacy and have read Imperial Spy and i'm so glad that you don't take years to complete your books. I think i can do the wait until November. Thanks for writing them!

blinky said:
I'm currently re-reading for (im embarrassed to say) the third time The Darkweaver Legacy and have read Imperial Spy and i'm so glad that you don't take years to complete your books. I think i can do the wait until November. Thanks for writing them!

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad that you've enjoyed them enough to re-read them. That is a great compliment.

escapism into the worlds within books is a necessary thing during exam time!

I will re-read them, but at the moment im very deep in homework, exams, other books etc.

Wont be long until i can get this book, looking forward to seeing what happens next :D

The next one is at Cheltenham, during the Literary Festival. If you look at the news page on my new website, you will see all the links, times and info. That will be your chance to get the very first copies of Imperial Assassin (nearly 3 weeks before the official launch!). :)

in one week i can finsih the book and wright 2000 word essay about it! ("i luv it" 667 times counts wright?)

but sadly friday at 10 am, school, as much as i would luv to go and see you again i have school, i prob wont get off school now that i got gche's starting, *sigh* o well

charles said:
in one week i can finsih the book and wright 2000 word essay about it! ("i luv it" 667 times counts wright?)

but sadly friday at 10 am, school, as much as i would luv to go and see you again i have school, i prob wont get off school now that i got gche's starting, *sigh* o well

It's not a Friday, Charles, it's a Sunday morning. You did get the time right, though. I hope that you might manage to get there. I'd hate to think I'll be talking to an empty hall!