DISCUSSION THREAD -- MAY 2024 75 WORD WRITING CHALLENGE

@Phyrebrat .... Sea Oats .... This pretty piece of poetry provokes a perception of perfect poets past.

@reiver33 .... Ascension .... This a story that for a moment lifts the curtain between what is sensed and what hoped for.

@Drone Zone .... Mutuality .... This is a beautiful story of symbiosis.

@M. Robert Gibson .... Over at Grandma's House .... This is a story which reminds us that you often don't know what's brewing at Grandma's house.

@Christine Wheelwright .... Black Green Magic .... This is a story for all of those who hope for a magical solution to climate change.

I have been spiritually absent. Not even lurking (a great deal). But you have summoned me home with this month's theme. My friend just came up with an infinitely better title for my poem: Death and Taxus.

Last edited:
I've been out all day, visiting a couple of impressive gardens as it happens, wandering among flowers and trees for hours. And no *bleeping* help were they in giving me any ideas, dammit!

However, for some reason best known to my recalcitrant muse, she decided a song was called for this month. Greensleeves came to mind, but by this time she'd left me to my own devices and I couldn't compose** a fantasy tale which involved Green Leaves being my delight...

In the end, I decided just to cram in as many plant names as possible, and was annoyed I could only manage eight. Maid's ruin, love-in-idleness and touch-me-not were among those that had to be jettisoned because of word count. (Who'd have guessed so many plants were apparently considered aphrodisiacs??! Violas alone also were known as Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, tickle-my-fancy, and come-and-cuddle-me!)

** I just mis-typed that as "compost" and was tempted to leave it...

Gosh, I found this month's theme quite a tough one. Glad I managed to come up with something in the end.

Thanks as always to Victoria and Parson for the reviews.

In the end, I decided just to cram in as many plant names as possible, and was annoyed I could only manage eight. Maid's ruin, love-in-idleness and touch-me-not were among those that had to be jettisoned because of word count. (Who'd have guessed so many plants were apparently considered aphrodisiacs??! Violas alone also were known as Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, tickle-my-fancy, and come-and-cuddle-me!)
You have one of my favourite plant names in there... I'm sure you can guess which one it is :D

@Lacedaemonian .... I am I, and yew are yew .... This is a poem that looks at death through a very special lens.

@smellincoffee .... Among the Lilies .... This is a story which goes in a beautifully strange direction.

@paranoid marvin .... The Oddity .... This is a poem which meshes wonderfully with the classic yarn of all time.

@The Judge .... The Floral Ballad of Columbine and Harlequin .... This is a ballad which deserves a tune.
.............................................................................................................................................Because love there is and it's in bloom.

@Bren G .... Happily Never After .... This is a story which gives an interesting alternative to a well loved fairy tale.

@Ursa major .... Seeds of Discontent .... This is a story which deals in just (or is it unjust) desserts.

Mine was inspired by the Cahaba lilies that bloom from mid-May to mid-June in my area. Hoping to get a sunrise shot tomorrow. :)

281157787_10158375949091786_8800834914622584680_n.jpg

M. Robert Gibson: An amusing look at modern sorcery.

Christine Wheelwright: A thought-provoking tale of transformation.

Lacedaemonian: A rollicking chant of otherness.

smellincoffee: A poetic portrait of the miraculous.

paranoid marvin: A merry poem of wordplay.

The Judge: A musical ballad of love, hate, death, and life.

Bren G: A wry variation on an old theme.

Ursa major: A cautionary fable of disbelief.

Voting was easy this time. johhnyjet knocked it out of the park.