DISCUSSION THREAD -- MAY 2023 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Sorry, Grandkids were here for the weekend and I never got the chance to vote. Cograts to @johnnyjet .... Great story.

Thanks @Astro Pen , very happy to have snagged a vote at the last moment.

Congrats @johnnyjet for a well deserved win. I hope Crazy Groupie Missy has a full and happy life as the Singer's tumor.

Congrats @johnnyjet :)

Thanks for the vote @Wayne Mack and for the mentions folks.

I find it really hard to think of titles. In this instance I used a quote from Machiavelli which seemed to fit perfect. I'm sure he wouldn't have minded.

Oh yes! I forgot to thank those that mentioned my effort. So thanks @Yozh @Bren G

As for my entry, I seem to have strayed into George RR Martin territory - introduce a new character; kill new character

I suspect the lack of mentions is that it made more sense in my head. Plus trying to condense what is probably a longer story into 75 words rarely works.

And my title, I wasted time, and now doth time waste me, is Shakespeare from Richard II. You can't go wrong with a quote from the Bard as a title ;)

Well done, johnnyjet. You have a pleasant style of writing, and I'm glad you've received a triumph in the Challenge.

Thankyou Outtalnc for the shortlisting and huge thanks to Bren G for the vote.

Oh yes! I forgot to thank those that mentioned my effort. So thanks @Yozh @Bren G

As for my entry, I seem to have strayed into George RR Martin territory - introduce a new character; kill new character

I suspect the lack of mentions is that it made more sense in my head. Plus trying to condense what is probably a longer story into 75 words rarely works.

And my title, I wasted time, and now doth time waste me, is Shakespeare from Richard II. You can't go wrong with a quote from the Bard as a title ;)

I agree, mine came from Romeo and Juliet 'These violent delights have violent ends'.

Congratulations, johnnyjet, on a fantastic-fanatic win! Well done, Peter V, for the solo second.

Thank you, TJ and Starbeast, for the listings!! CC

Congratulations, johnnyjet! Commiserations after a good fight, Peter! (The pre-unloved bridesmaid's dress is looking more tatty than taffeta nowadays, so feel free to choose your own!)

Obsessively-tweaking thanks for the mention for my piece, Outtalnc!

As to which, I have to admit the idea of someone endlessly tweaking one line has a certain resonance with my own writing (though not quite leading to years on the same sentence!) but the real inspiration was a memory of the character Joseph Grand in Camus' La Peste. Grand is obsessed with the opening line of his novel, a sentence about a woman riding down the Bois de Boulogne, which must in his mind be flawless with the rhythm echoing the trotting of the horse, and he gives justifications for the different phrases and word choices. But he's so obessed with getting it right that he can't write beyond it, so after months/years of work he's got no further. As in everything in life, perfect is the enemy of good.

Back