DISCUSSION THREAD -- September 2020 75-Word Writing Challenge

@mosaix, I was questioning my sanity there, thinking I haven't voted yet although I had decided to vote for you. Is mosaix a mind reader? Have I been sleep voting? Your stealth vote was from @elvet. :unsure: :)

Short list @Victoria Silverwolf, @Cat's Cradle and @The Judge.

Oh dear! How stupid of me! I have no excuse except that my memory is so bad I can't even remember a name from one web page to the next!

Apologies and thank you @elvet for the stealth vote. And thank you for the correction and vote @nixie. (Hope I've got it right this time.)

Well I voted for @Elckerlyc . A really well-written tight little story.

My runner up was @johnnyjet for the truly wonderful Cloud-Weavers

Others worthy of mention for catching my eye:
@Moonbat : as a pensioner I found this targeted advertising well worth investigating
@GalaxyWolf118 for this lovely sweet story
@Danny McG made me smile and sadly believable
@Cat's Cradle: any story featuring a Hippomotapus is worth reading
@Capricorn42 : loved the tendrils
@Bren G : another story appealing to my inner pensioner.
@Hopcyn Miller : good fast-paced action

And many thanks @scarpelius for the vote. It's always such a buzz to find that little mark against one's story and realise that someone has thought my story worth voting for despite all the competition.

Last edited:
I went for The Last Cloud @Wayne Mack - really liked the Apollo 17 reveal.

But so hard to choose from such a great bunch of ideas; really interesting to see the diversity 'Clouds' triggers in different people.
Other ones that really resonated with me:
Passing Touch @Astro Pen - the thought of change
Humanity’s Enemy No.1 @Marvin - an original, and threatening cloud
Waterfall @mosaix - loved the feeling of time and unfamiliarity of weather
Hell Rising @Peter V - made me want to know the whole story, puts Studio Ghibli images in my head.

Ouch! So many memorable. grinding them down to a short list of Cat's Cradle, Elckerlyc, Marvin, mosaix, Perpetual Man and The Judge was excruciating; you could almost hear the rejects scream. I finally went with Marvin.

GalaxyWolf118 I'm afraiot saying d I'm a pedant (and punctuation nutcase). I'm not saying your entry would have won without the mispunctuation, but it'd definitely have been on the short list.Oh, and many thanks for the vote.

Thank you -K2- and Elckerlyc for the mentions, and as usual Parson and Victoria for the continued (and much appreciated reviews.

Five with 2 votes and a pile with 1, is it always this tight? (said the vicar to the..... nope ignore it not appropriate :) )

Five with 2 votes and a pile with 1, is it always this tight? (said the vicar to the..... nope ignore it not appropriate :) )

Not often, from what I have seen. Especially after 23 votes. Normally a couple have started to pull away.
Testament to the quality and diversity on offer.
I know I’m struggling to whittle down to one!

(glad you pulled out of the vicar gag - this is a family friendly area don’t you know :eek: ;))

Not often, from what I have seen. Especially after 23 votes. Normally a couple have started to pull away.
Testament to the quality and diversity on offer.
I know I’m struggling to whittle down to one!

(glad you pulled out of the vicar gag - this is a family friendly area don’t you know :eek: ;))
Okay remember I am offering bribes for votes for starbeast, Mr Kiplings exceedingly goods for each vote they receive :)

So, we had cosmic, atomic, insect, data, dust, sentient, thought, chemical and of course good old water vapour.
I have missed others I’m sure. Kudos to the theme @Bren G inspiring it seems.

Much appreciation to @Victoria Silverwolf & @Parson for taking the time to review so thoughtfully.

Now the rub. I have these guys in the mix...
@Astro Pen - The otherworldly experience of being in mist and fog, captured perfectly.
@paranoid marvin - As a bit of a fan of Norse legend, I found this as amusing as the cloud did.
@Justin Swanton - A gut punch, harsh and emotional.
@Wayne Mack - Beautiful. Hopefully we will return one day.
@mosaix - A most natural and life giving phenomena experienced anew.
@scarpelius - So taken with this whole concept, just great. I want it to be what really happens.

My vote goes to @scarpelius who just pips the others.

Well done all, votes and mentions flying every which way, something for everybody by everybody. Great stuff.

Funnily enough, on a Skype call to some of my friends this week, I was explaining the challenges and that sometimes we get ones that are less appreciated than perhaps they might deserve (or not).

I didn't mention the Tudorpunk challenge (as I'm not sure how they'd have reacted to my entry for that), but they had the "benefit" of a reading of my Kipling-like (as if**) poem. I'm not usually keen on poetry in general -- so it was odd to write a poem -- and yet I have found myself voting more than once (in different challenges, that is) for others' (admittedly better***) poems.

** *** - Please, no slapping, nixie!!

Ah yes the Tudorpunk challenge; another where the initial thought was probably not a positive one, but set the brain gears in motion.
Personally (as I think I've mentioned before) I enjoyed those the most and it's nice to have a curve ball thrown from time to time.

Go @Starbeast!, had to vote for that one cause it made me laugh. love the idea of it.

Firstly, nice to meet you. Thank you immensely for the comment. I wanted to do something with a bit of humor.

Starbeast and Ursa - comic genius! Both made me laugh for different reasons.

I appreciate the fantastic comment from you, Paranoid Marvin. You're one of the potent poets.

Okay remember I am offering bribes for votes for starbeast, Mr Kiplings exceedingly goods for each vote they receive :)

You're making me blush. The awesome, good-hearted, incorruptible people here are not swayed by money............................................................unless it's a huge amount of money. ;)

1601220643220.png

Cloud Formations

@Bren G
@AstroZon
@Margaret Note Spelling
@MikeAnderson
@chrispenycate
@paranoid marvin
@Hugh
@Luiglin
@Danny McG
@Wayne Mack
@Marvin
@GalaxyWolf118
@TheEndIsNigh
@mosaix
@Moonbat
@Peter V
@JJewel
@Elckerlyc

The votes are really spread out, which is probably a good thing.

Long List:

chrispenycate for poetic skill

Hugh for a unique concept

Justin Swanton for a hardheaded sense of reality

johnnyjet for imaginative world building

mosaix for a sense of optimism

Elckerlyc for quiet horror

Short List:

Wayne Mack for a moving sense of history

Moonbat for biting satire

VOTE:

Bren G
for creating genuine empathy for characters with whom it would be difficult for most authors to make us identify.

A big thank you @Victoria Silverwolf for your vote and kind words! Very much appreciated indeed.

Also - @Hugh, @Parson, and @BT Jones for including me among their shortlists.

I also want to thank @Victoria Silverwolf and @Parson for their wonderful reviews! They're like putting a wrapper and bow on top of our little gifts to the world.

Now.. I have some reading to do. In 75 word increments..!

cheers

BG

Tough one again this month. Lost of great stories to choose from. Here are my shortlisters.

@M. Robert Gibson - Kajara and the Nebulous Sentinel - had me lined up for something metaphysical, so I totally didn't see it coming!
@scarpelius - Cry baby - Shows us that even bad intentions can be a good thing for some!
@mosaix - Waterfall - shows us that through perseverance and patience, good things will eventually fall!
@Justin Swanton - Love in the Clouds - a dark tale of unconditional love!
@Hugh - Undercover - those darn clouds always spoil it for us!
@Victoria Silverwolf -Aphrodite Awaits - great scene building and imagery!
@Margaret Note Spelling - Clouds of Witness - a refreshing take on the sentient mist makers!
@Guttersnipe - Rainy with a chance of Sun - really liked the emotive appeal in this one!

Drum roll please...

My vote goes to:

@Moonbat - Cerebrainimus - a cautionary tale that shows us that, despite how advanced we become, we will never change!

Note : this vote now puts seven people tied for first with two votes. A tight race to be sure!

cheers

BG

I had to read the stories through a second time to narrow down my lists - we produced a fine crop this month. Nice theme choice, Bren G!

So, my lists;

Honorable Mentions:
Margaret Note Spelling, Daysman, paranoid marvin, JJewel, Elckerlyc, The Judge

Shortlist:
chrispenycate, johnnyjet, mosaix, Moonbat

Vote:
Astro Pen's Passing Touch

I read this when it was first posted, and loved it right away. It is a gentle, sweet story, and I love the last line, and the thought of someone's life being changed by something as inconsequential as the inhalation of a wisp of vapor. Well done, Astro Pen!

Thank you, @BT Jones, @johnnyjet, @nixie, @Hugh, and @chrispenycate for the mentions. :) And a huge thanks to @Elckerlyc for the vote!! I cannot remember seeing voting running like this in a Challenge. 4+ days in, and the leaders have 2 votes, and anyone could still win. Best of luck, all - I'm excited to see how this plays out. :) CC

Back