DISCUSSION THREAD -- September 2020 75-Word Writing Challenge

@Elckerlyc .... The View .... Eleck makes me wonder if living in the fog is a good thing; or would you rather see the ugly truth.?

@M. Robert Gibson .... Kajar and the Nebulous Sentinel .... M. Rob has caught the Ursa virus, but it's a good thing.

@The Judge .... Trailing Clouds of Glory .... Your Honor, my head hurts, my brain's pâté and my insight is beclouded. --- That's a party I'll avoid!

@Mad Alice .... Help from Upstairs .... Mad Alice puts life in the cloud and brings a cloudy memory to life just in time.

@Ursa major .... Nuages Gris .... Ursa gives us a whole new appreciation for the complex intelligence of the nuages gris.

Lots of very good entries this round. I could have easily short-listed almost everything. Also, a rake of newbies and debutantes, it seems, with good offerings.

Longlist below, shortlist in bold.

@Guttersnipe – Delightfully quirky
@Ashleyne – Wow, genuinely creepy.
@Bren G – Brilliant, Electric Dreams-esque.
@Capricorn42 – The sentient starships from your critique piece. I really liked it this little snippet.
@Cat's Cradle – A delirious confection filled with childhood innocence and wonder.
@Astro Pen – Wonderfully ethereal
@Victoria Silverwolf – A brilliantly rich sci-fi novella crammed into just 75 words.
@paranoid marvin – Masterful poetry.
@Luiglin – Classical Luiglin, after a dabble with the heartstrings last time out!!!
@Marvin – Ugh, a horror I know only to well in Australia.
@johnnyjet – Majestic, visceral sci-fi.
@Moonbat – A wickedly cutting concept.
@Mad Alice – Beguiling.

In the end, I had to vote for @Victoria Silverwolf. Her ability to orchestrate vividly visual and meaningful stories into just a cupful of words never ceases to amaze.

Vote to @johnnyjet Cloud Weavers A quite beautiful concept that is text but could be morphed into poem or painting. Loved it.

Shortlist.
@GalaxyWolf118 A Face in the Clouds A simple tale, yet it nearly drew a tear from me.
@mosaix Waterfall Reminding us that some projects are longer than a lifetime. We may not live to see completion but we can see milestones.

Vote to @johnnyjet Cloud Weavers A quite beautiful concept that is text but could be morphed into poem or painting. Loved it.

Shortlist.
@GalaxyWolf118 A Face in the Clouds A simple tale, yet it nearly drew a tear from me.
@mosaix Waterfall Reminding us that some projects are longer than a lifetime. We may not live to see completion but we can see milestones.
Thanks astro, for a moment I thought it was me you had voted for and I thought, damn I wont be plum last :), lukcily I like plums :)

Last edited:
Man, there are a lot of great stories! Gonna be hard to pick one!

I cast my vote for The Cloud-Weavers of Canopy because it managed to cram some fascinating world-building and an interesting story into so few words. Honorable mentions to Rainy With a Chance of Sun because it was a beautifully emotional story well-told and Cerebralnimbus for a chilling tale told in interesting fashion.

This very interesting theme produced some very interesting stories: Short listed:

Heads in the Cloud by @Bren G ---- Because "Sunny Acres Retirement Awaits" as a message to "Hal" that his "SARA" was there was too clever by half.
Clouds of Witnesses by @Margaret Note Spelling ---- Because this was a truly literalist reading of the Biblical "A cloud of witnesses."
Love in the Clouds by @Justin Swanton ---- Because of it's cold blooded calculation.
Wayvestream by @Hopcyn Miller ---- Because I love a good dogfight story!
The Jupiter Jumper - or, there will always be Idjits by @Perpetual Man --- Because he wrote the truest title.
Untitled by @JJewel .... Because of the sentimental story which touched me.
Trailing Clouds of Glory by @The Judge .... Because she sent me to Google more times than any other 75 Word story.

Usually there's a story or two which speaks to me more than most other stories. In this batch this story was @JJewel's gem.

Okay, sorry about that, is their anymore unspoken rules that maybe should be spoken. :)
And do you find physical violence is the best way to deal with these situations?
Only you must vote for the pixie druid if she submits an entry but no one takes notice of that one:whistle:

Yep violence is the answer:)

Every entry is a winner, even if it doesn't get a vote or a mention.
Its difficult to tell a coherent story in so few words.
For the writing challenges we want words of encouragement and not criticism.

Only you must vote for the pixie druid if she submits an entry but no one takes notice of that one:whistle:

Yep violence is the answer:)

Every entry is a winner, even if it doesn't get a vote or a mention.
Its difficult to tell a coherent story in so few words.
For the writing challenges we want words of encouragement and not criticism.
Hokey, read and understood or as they used to say in Blakes 7, down and unsafe :)
I will need to curb my nature I see, I naturally am dismissive of myself in words, so will keep slaps ready for when I am :)

You're new, I'll allow you this one but next time you put down your challenge entry you will be slapped. It is one of the unspoken rules.
Unless you like regular @nixie slaps that is. You need to be ninja like with your self deprecation. A word stepping assassin, a congratulatory thief, a master of the subtle post :p

Back