DISCUSSION THREAD -- September 2020 75-Word Writing Challenge

Okay, sorry about that, is their anymore unspoken rules that maybe should be spoken.
Actually, there was another unwritten (but passed by acclaim) rule passed about nine and a half years ago - the pixie should have remembered, she was already here - when I one my first challenge, and chose my theme. The decision was "nobody should vote for Chrispy" that's me "ever again. He might choose another subject like that." I had merely requested 'in the style of Rudyard Kipling', and we've all read some Kipling, haven't we?

And a challenge is supposed to be challenging, else, why the name?

But in a way, it was quite comforting as, whenever I didn't receive any votes I could tell myself 'they wanted to, but didn't feel permitted. As I'm not really a writer, and even less of a poet (he ducks rapidly, glancing around for pixies and/or royal goblins) and do this to prove that someone as long-winded as myself can transmit some information in concentrated form, this is no great handicap. And there are always newcomers who havent learnt the dangers yet:…

My Long List, Short List, and ***Favorite***:

Rainy With a Chance of Sun – Guttersnipe
Heads in the Cloud - Bren G
Those That Drift - Cat's Cradle
*** Clouds of Witness - Margaret Note Spelling ***
Passing Touch - Astro Pen
Aphrodite Awaits - Victoria Silverwolf
A Face in the Clouds - GalaxyWolf118
Cerebrainimbus – Moonbat
Untitled – Jjewel
The View – Elckerlyc
Trailing Clouds of Glory - The Judge
Help from Upstairs - Mad Alice

But, everyone's a winner. Well done, all. Thanks for the always wonderful commentaries, Parson and Victoria. Thanks for the short listing, BT Jones, and a very appreciative thank you to Astro Pen and sule for the unexpected votes! That's awesome. (I'm currently tied for first place.)

Actually, there was another unwritten (but passed by acclaim) rule passed about nine and a half years ago - the pixie should have remembered, she was already here - when I one my first challenge, and chose my theme. The decision was "nobody should vote for Chrispy" that's me "ever again. He might choose another subject like that." I had merely requested 'in the style of Rudyard Kipling', and we've all read some Kipling, haven't we?

But in a way, it was quite comforting as, whenever I didn't receive any votes I could tell myself 'they wanted to, but didn't feel permitted. As I'm not really a writer, and even less of a poet (he ducks rapidly, glancing around for pixies and/or royal goblins) and do this to prove that someone as long-winded as myself can transmit some information in concentrated form, this is no great handicap. And there are always newcomers who havent learnt the dangers yet:…

I seem to remember that I have voted for you since that terrible month, Chrispy. Although I must admit, it was with some reluctance and trepidation.

I had merely requested 'in the style of Rudyard Kipling', and we've all read some Kipling, haven't we?

Ah, the joys of being a long timer. I remember that challenge well. And the moaning was EPIC, but I also recall that many people rose to the challenge and some really enjoyable 75 Worders were created.

My understanding of said event was not that it was "style of kipling" so much as it was combined with the fact that the subject was food.
The stories would be Science fiction and Fantasy In The Style of Kipling about Food.

So it would be 42 entries like;
Oh the Space Potato is a weary sort.
One day he forgets his gravity galoshes and the next he's gotten fried to Chips for Tea with the Dragon Mort.
Let's beg the Fairys save him, he's the only blodger with the code to the gravity gun.
And face it my dear fellows, all those nafty Astro Rutabega chaps have gotten in the rum.

I remember that challenge well.
Funnily enough, on a Skype call to some of my friends this week, I was explaining the challenges and that sometimes we get ones that are less appreciated than perhaps they might deserve (or not).

I didn't mention the Tudorpunk challenge (as I'm not sure how they'd have reacted to my entry for that), but they had the "benefit" of a reading of my Kipling-like (as if**) poem. I'm not usually keen on poetry in general -- so it was odd to write a poem -- and yet I have found myself voting more than once (in different challenges, that is) for others' (admittedly better***) poems.

** *** - Please, no slapping, nixie!!

Looks like it could be a close one this time, is bribing with kiplings cakes allowed? ... I accept that offering them for votes for me would be morally wrong but is it acceptable to offer them for votes to starbeast? ... Tactical voting :)

There’s a fairly even spread with about half the votes in, which isn’t unusual. Sometimes one or two favourites emerge as the deadline approaches.

Back