Discussion -- February 2018 75-word Challenge

I did vote, really. My short list was:- Cathbad, dannymcg, HazelRah, paranoid marvin, Pedro Del Mar and TheDustyZebra; vote went to dannymcg.

My thanks to johnnyjet and paranoid marvin for the mentions, and, of course nixie for the vote.

If I've got this right, Abernovo, Ashleyne, ASleepyGiraffe, Cat's Cradle, Cory Swanson, D.A. Xiaolin Spires, DragonAether, Garfunkel, HazelRah, Hugh, Jo Zebedee, Joe Loomis, Joshua Jones, LittleStar, monsterchic, Perpetual Man, Phyrebrat, Shyrka, The Judge and Ursa major have submitted stories without, at the time of writing, having voted, while Lumens and Starbeast voted without submitting.

A second vote! Thanks so much, Calliopenjo. And thank you, Hugh, for the chutzpah mention. ;)

Okay, here are my lists:

Honorables - Appello, pyan, mosaix, Stable, The Judge

Shortlist - Shyrka, ASleepyGiraffe, Bob Senior, TitaniumTi, TheDustyZebra

Finalists - Hugh, paranoid marvin, Garfunkle

I really dug all three of these. Each made me smile, or laugh, or both. But in the end, Hugh's accounts worker just beat out paranoid marvin's pretty flowers, and Garfunkel's Yar and Nar. My vote, then, to Hugh.

Looks like a tight race this month. Best of luck to all! CC

Wow another 3 votes. Thankyou so much to Perp, crystal haven and SB (really missed you not posting this month pal) and the short listings from Cat's Cradle and chrispenycate, Hugh, TDZ and johnnyjet.

I was quite expecting the apocalyptic this month, but odd how gods and goddesses brought out the comic in so many of us. Even more oddly, my shortlist is top heavy with them -- perhaps because a good many of the non-comic ones either I didn't understand or they didn't quite gel for me -- and that shortlist is:

Appello -- The End
Cat's Cradle -- A Big Bang
Jo Zebedee -- STANDING ON MY OWN TWO FEET
Hugh -- So it goes
pyan -- This doesn't Bode well
Shyrka -- Rebranding
Victoria Silverwolf -- The Long Way Home

After a great deal of umming and ahhing, in the end I had to toss a coin to choose between the planet-naming/sharing-out tales from pyan and Shyrka, both of which hit my funny-bone, but Shyrka got heads and therefore the vote, with Appello's bleak ending coming in third.

And some very long operatic aria thanks for the mentions/shortlistings/favourites/runners-up-ships Stable, nixie, Peter (and thanks for the lovely comment) and CC, and a whole auditorium of fat-lady-singing Valkyrie thanks for the wonderful stealth vote, pyan!

Hugh, Thank you for your vote, I'm overwhelmed .
Remarkably, at this point in time, you and I are ahead with all of five votes, though there are plenty others who could speed past.

I've never had more than two votes before. I don't quite know what to say.

Well, many many thanks to @Lumens , @Cat's Cradle , @ASleepyGiraffe , @Ashleyne for the votes, on top of that from @paranoid marvin
And many thanks also to @CTRandall @johnnyjet @Shyrka and @The Judge for the listings.

In shock.

And in the excitement my electric kettle has ceased functioning.

Last edited:
Thanks for the inclusion on the shortlist, @Cat's Cradle! Really made my day. :)

Pretty strong standard of entries this month. I particularly enjoyed:

Shyrka - 'Rebranding'
Cat's Cradle - 'A Big Bang'
CTRandall - 'So sayeth the slug'
Joe Loomis - 'The Choice to Believe'
paranoid marvin - 'Thunderstruck'
ASleepyGiraffe - 'Backspace'
TheDustyZebra - ' Faster, Pussycat…'

In the end, I voted for 'Faster, Pussycat…' by TheDustyZebra, but it was definitely a tough one.

If I've got this right, Abernovo...have submitted stories without, at the time of writing, having voted,
Never fear, Chrispy. The only times I've entered and not voted was when my internet connection died.

I snorted, delightedly, at Jo Zebedee's STANDING ON MY OWN TWO FEET. Ammit Abides, by Phyrebrat was brilliant.

But, the winner for me was another Ancient Egyptian-themed tale, Live Forever, by Bob Senior. Poignant and sad, with a witty dark humour throughout as the narrator tells of an unexpected twist to his now undeniable immortality.

Before this month, I thought pantheon was a hashtag for people who didn't like Eddard's Greyjoy ward.... I'm pleased to say that the Ursa jury has proved less ignorant in coming up with this month's list (in which the stories are in posting order within the categories):

Honourable Mentions:

• This doesn't Bode well.... by pyan
  • Dysfunctional by Mr Orange
  • Faster, Pussycat... by TheDustyZebra
  • A Very Long Night at the Opera by The Judge

Runners Up:
  • So sayeth the slug by CTRandall
  • Thunderstruck by paranoid Marvin
  • Locusts? by mosiax

Winner:
  • Rebranding by shyrka

What do i do now???
You need to PM -- i.e. start a "Conversation" with -- one of the mods** telling them what you want the theme for the March Challenge to be and the the genre(s) in which the stories are meant to be written.

** - I'm just about to head to bed -- it's well past midnight here -- but I can forward what you want to the others in the morning (morning in the UK, that is) if you PM me.

CONGRATULATIONS BOB SENIOR!

Thank you, everyone, for reading my story. I do appreciate it. Even if the story doesn't work.

Congratulations Bob Senior!

I'm so happy for you!

---------

@LittleStar .... A vote! Oh it is so much appreciated! Thank you, Thank you!