Discussion Thread -- April 2017 75-word Writing Challenge

@Coast .... Shows a place where doing your part doesn't have to mean giving a part of yourself to "Community Service."

Well I'm in. Wasn't going to but was guilted into it by TDZ's scathing rebuke in the stats forum. Chopped it down from 165 in about an hour. It's immediate. It's sketchy. But I'm an artist! I draw with words and write with pictures. (See new profile pic)

@Heijan Xavier .... When you hunt from sunset to sunrise you might find a night's love, but you will come to "Hate the Game."

@RJM Corbet .... When you live by your wits and a game of chance, opportunity comes as randomly as a roll of the "Dice."

@Culhwch .... introduces us to the sport of Troll hunting. The problem for the hunter is keeping her trophies so that "What Mama Doesn't Know" will allow the games to continue.

This sounds like the plot for remake of Buffy.

@Alex Darion .... Shows us that a game that's child's play is much more frustrating with a childish witch to ruin "The Card Game."

This sounds like an episode from Bewitched.

Culhwch -- This darkly comic tale takes a look at gender roles and expectations, and those who rebel against them.

Alex Darion -- This lighthearted fantasy shows us the universal complexity of sibling relationships.

chrispenycate -- This imaginative and compelling poem depicts how close we are in character to our fellow creatures.

• @chrispenycate .... Reminds us that there are babies and then there are babies. The biggest of which can cause considerable damage with just a little "Youthful enthusiasm."

Well I'm in. Wasn't going to but was guilted into it by TDZ's scathing rebuke in the stats forum. Chopped it down from 165 in about an hour. It's immediate. It's sketchy. But I'm an artist! I draw with words and write with pictures. (See new profile pic)

I did what? :cautious:

Well, I guess it worked, whatever it was.

Another verse, I fear.Well, at least this month's was cheerful, lightweight and in no way oppressive or pessimistic, unless you're a bronze-age insurance salesman. And comprehensible, I hope. No kittens - the demon kittens I worked with in the first year have become fat, dignified and unlikely to generate a theme for any subject except 'nostalgia'.

Many thanks, Parson and Victoria for your commentaries.

So, it's the last day, and only thirty-five submissions. AstroZon, DG Jones, Droflet, Glen, hazelrah, Hugh, Ihe, Mad Alice, nixie, Phyrebrat, The Judge, TheDustyZebra, Ursa major, Wruter, to mention only those who've got a good recent record, could be bullied to get their stories in before, like Cinderella's coach, they morph into punpkins. Or their are plenty of other, somewhat less bulliable occasional writers, or even newcomers - all are welcome, to a minimum of seven. No maximum, obviously. Life, the universe and everything are waiting, breath bated…

Back to my three hundred worder now, I think.

David Evil Overlord -- This clever and witty fable reminds us that you can't violate the rules of nature.

HazelRah -- The author creates an intriguing theological fantasy which raises many questions about the self.

Last edited:
I'm in, so I've also avoided pumpkinification! (Virtual cake for whoever gets the classical reference.)

Still 4 more stories needed to get the magic 42. Whatever TDZ did in the stats thread, she'd better do again somewhere more noticeable! (She also better get her own story in...)

Three. It's just gone 10pm here British Summer Time, which is an hour ahead of GMT. I think. Either that, or it's an hour behind, so it's less than one hour left. :confused:

Ah, the Judicial Helpmeet confirms it's three hours, just under. If you can believe him, of course... ;)

@David Evil Overlord .... Is playing a high stakes evolution game which will end in a bang. Those in the know call it "Dungeons and Dinosaurs.

@HazelRah .... Shows us an unethical collector with "A Collection Worth Six Million."

@The Judge .... Gives us the River City salesman who can sell anything to anybody except one frustrating game that doesn't sell "Not Even to the One Eyed King."

Back