What did you blog about today?

Nice blog, Juliana. It's an interesting decision, whether to go with an understandable evil, as it were, or a moustachioed, black cape-wearing, top-hatted villain who loves being evil.

I think it's sometimes wrapped up in the tone of the writing generally. If you're going for gritty realism, pure evil does happen (ISIS springs to mind) but it's pretty rare. Mindless bullies and people just happening to be on the other side are more common. Of course, the fun with medieval villainy is that the morality of the period was so dark even the 'good' guys can end up doing pretty dubious things. /endramble

Blogged about "wands for wildlife", which is a whole lot less wizardy than it sounds. It's about a request from Appalachian Wildlife Refuge for old mascara wands. There's a video about it in the post that goes into more details, but basically these old mascara wands work really well for combing through injured and/or orphaned animal fur and feathers for parasites and their eggs.
Wands for Wildlife!

Without having yet read the above link (will do imminently), I hope this doesn't count as too much: Wandering Phoenix and Roaming Tiger will be out soon. On course for May release: Thaddeus the Sixth: Wandering Phoenix and Roaming Tiger – Coming Soon

Edited extra bit: oh, and those with books already out should check the third SPFBO (self-publishing fantasy blog-off, for independent/self-published authors who have a fantasy book already released). There's 250-300 free spaces, the window opened yesterday and there are already 142 entries:
Mark Lawrence: SPFBO 2017 - A call to authors.

When does promotion become too much? Where is the line in the sand?

Promotion... *sigh* 'Tis a scary, scary world to navigate.

If you're in the mood for something silly and Friday-ish, today's blog is part 2 of my villains post. This time, looking at baddies we can't help loving. Villains We Hate To Love (Part 2)

(And yes, I realize how big the disparity between male/female characters on my list. Are guys just plain allowed to get away with things more than women? I guess so... But didn't want to derail what was supposed to be a fun blog post into a deeper discussion. Still, it is interesting!)

Promotion... *sigh* 'Tis a scary, scary world to navigate.

If you're in the mood for something silly and Friday-ish, today's blog is part 2 of my villains post. This time, looking at baddies we can't help loving. Villains We Hate To Love (Part 2)

(And yes, I realize how big the disparity between male/female characters on my list. Are guys just plain allowed to get away with things more than women? I guess so... But didn't want to derail what was supposed to be a fun blog post into a deeper discussion. Still, it is interesting!)
I think having a female villain is rarer and I think some of that is tied to the whole maternal instinct thing. Certainly any time I've made the mother the villain it's made for interesting responses

I don't know, Jo. We've all been brought up on stories with wicked stepmothers, where the maternal instinct gone bad is the very place where the villainy comes from. The comparative rarity of female villains in SFF may have more to do with the fact that a lot of SFF readers and writers don't want to cede a female character the kind of power that would allow her to work evil on a large scale.