DISCUSSION THREAD -- APRIL 2024 75 WORD WRITING CHALLENGE

Congrats, @Victoria Silverwolf! You got my vote for a story that was just spot on in concept and execution - one of those ones I read and think, I'd have never thought of that in a million years.

I was shocked - shocked! - to find four votes against my name. Thank you very much, @Ursa major, @BigJ, @Mad Alice, and @Astro Pen! And thanks also for the mentions, @reebee and @johnnyjet.

Hm, I thought that word was near universal. It means a thought out practical joke intended to make someone look (feel?) really stupid.
Jace later revealed his punk, ruining Trump-News.

Ahh! I'd wondered about what you meant - I didn't think it could be a typo for 'prank'. I'm not aware of this meaning being in use in the UK.

It's obvious that my own story was written out of frustration. My observation is that every news outlet is something pretty close to a purveyor of one sort of propaganda or another. Some are less and some are more subtle than some others, but none of them seems immune. And what I once thought would be a bit of a tonic, lots and lots of news sources, has instead become a driving force for more and more radical shaping of the news to fit a predetermined agenda, probably because people want to hear stories that fit with their predispositions.
A frustration of mine also. My preferred news is mainly leftyish liberalish UK press but it seems increasingly unable to give any perspective other than ridiculing those with whom it disagrees. Its rivals on the other side of the divide seem just as bad, if not worse. Hence I only get part of the picture. Part of what drives this seems to be the need to provide online clickbait.
But let's not stray too far down the political wormhole....

Many thanks for the votes to @nixie, @chrispenycate, @Parson and @emrosenagel.

I honestly didn't expect any votes this month. I had the germ of an idea but couldn't mold it into anything that didn't seem, to me, a bit mundane. Also, I would have liked the final line to have more punch, but couldn't come up with anything else.

Strange isn't it? Some months I'm really happy with my entry and think it's a winner and it gets practically nothing then I get months like this.

Congratulations, Victoria Silverwolf! You've achieved the rare 'consecutive wins' (isn't it rare?). I knew we were in trouble as soon as I read your entry. :)

To my earlier 'Thank yous' I'd like to add Hugh, Bowler1, emrosenagel, Daysman and reebee for the listings (and thank you, @reebee, for the insightful reviews you gave for the stories you listed; spot on, with mine!). Huge thanks, too, to johnnyjet, for the vote.

Thank you, Victoria and Parson, for the fine reviews. Looking forward to May's Challenge, CC

Missed the vote.

Sorry had to move this weekend. Mum has been given the dreaded best-before date and I want to spend as much of the remaining time with her as possible. So we were a little busy over the past few days. Even my 300 worder was done during cleaning and packing breaks.

My vote would have went to @Culhwch I think. Shortlist would have been something like:

@astrojosh - great challenge debut, welcome to the community
@Peter V
@Victoria Silverwolf
@Daysman
@Luiglin

Maybe others, but I remember liking these ones first time through

But let's not stray too far down the political wormhole....
That's always good advice. But I don't see this discussion as political, especially because we are not picking sides and have said that all parties participate. --- I feel the same as you about my preferred news sources. I am in a zone that is close to not catered to by news organizations. I am quite conservative on moral issues. I am quite liberal on social issues. And I am middle of the road on financial issues. But my main problem is that most of my friends and associates get there news from very Conservative outlets and they hear about things I don't, and my more liberal choices in news mean that I hear things that they don't. We have a hard time agreeing on facts without a lot of research to see what the other is talking about. It is all very frustrating. --- So with you, we probably better let this drop here. If you want to get into specifics we probably should make this a personal conversation.

Okay I think things are calming down on the home front. Essentials like the coffeemaker and clean underwear have been freed from their prisons.

Congrats to @Victoria Silverwolf . Well done, nice wordplay. Thank you for the mentions @Phyrebrat and @johnnyjet , they are much appreciated for a story that wasn't up to my usual level (IMO).

And thank you to @Starbeast for the Star Wars medal. Who could turn down one of those sweet babies?

Back