Discussion Thread - 300-word Writing Challenge #52 (January 2024)

As usual, one or two stories I simply didn't understand, despite multiple readings, so apologies there. Rather less usual, for a 300 Worder anyway, I felt some stories didn't actually hit the genre, but I enjoyed a couple of them so much I've squeezed them onto my shortlist, which is a little longer than normal as a result, but it meant I didn't feel I could vote for them.

And that shortlist is:

Bren G -- A Labour of Love
Cat's Cradle -- The Tithing of Grains
Christine Wheelwright -- The Taxidermist
cyprus7 -- Rhyme and Reason
Elckerlyc -- Mice-en-scène
johnnyjet -- All in a Mouse's Night
Luiglin -- Is the light on?
Provincial -- The Fish Can
Yozh -- No Pets Allowed

My first two votes were easy, going to Luiglin's sweet tale of deathbed revelation and johnnyjet's story of a house computer who finds grateful occupants. For the third, I was torn between Elckerlyc's tale of life-saving mice and CC's story of a starving man's self-sacrifice and compassion, and after some cogitation, CC just squeaked in by a whisker.

As for my piece, Many Intricately Carved Overmantel Mice Thanks for the lovely mentions Provincial, Parson, Starbeast and Elckerlyc, and Myriads of Limewood Snout-twitching Mice Thanks for the stupendous votes Stable, Peter, Christine, Pyan, johnnyjet, ZroSkeerd and CC. Oh, and More Playful Mice Thanks for the ninja votes nixie, mosaix, elvet and emrosenagel!

My votes: Hoffeldon Mouse and the Importance of Good Manners by @AnRoinnUltra, Is the Light On? by @Luiglin and Mousehole @The Judge

My shortlist: Fancy Mice by @donrmontgomery, Dear Pen Pal by @THX1138, All in a Mouse's Night by @johnnyjet, The Taxidermist by @Christine Wheelwright and Small Honour by @Stable

Thanks very much for the votes @Lacedaemonian, @chrispenycate and @Elckerlyc ! And thank you for the mentions @Starbeast and @M. Robert Gibson !

I had a tough time deciding which ones to vote for, since there were so many great stories! Well done, everyone :giggle:

Congratulations, Christine! (Again!!)

I'm very grateful to everyone who liked my piece -- and Many Carved Pomegranate and Mouse thanks for the late ninja vote, Ursa!

If anyone was confused by comments in my post when I announced my story

Unusually for me, I had an idea several days ago, courtesy of a Lord Peter Wimsey story....
In the story, it's noted that the Wimsey coat of arms involves mice, and I have an image of Harriet Vane looking at an overmantel where there are mice, though I'm not now sure whether that was actually in the novel or something I've invented myself with memories of Marguerite St Just seeing the scarlet pimpernel flower in the portraits etc of Percy Blakeney in the films!

... the setting got junked... leaving only the overmantel behind -- Grinling Gibbons crossed with Robert Thompson
For those who haven't come across him, Grinling Gibbons was an English/Dutch wood carver in the late 17th/early 18th centuries famous for his highly detailed and realistic work eg

CosimoPanel.jpg

Petworth House in West Sussex has an entire room with examples of wood carving of this kind, much of it by Gibbons and his employees -- there's a short talk here which might be of interest Grinling Gibbons: The Carved Room at Petworth House | HENI Talks

Gibbons' signature on his carvings was a peapod. A much later English designer in wood who is perhaps less well known is Robert Thompson who used a mouse as his signature on furniture and church furnishings to the extent that the work is known as Mouseman furniture:

mouse-1.jpg

This carving is one of several in St Peter's Church in Birstall, West Yorkshire -- the motif apparently arose from a conversation about being as poor as a church mouse, which I also thought was too good a phrase not to use when I merged the Gibbons' technique with the Thompson mice for my story.

Congratulations, Christine Wheelwright! And a So Close to The Judge and johnnyjet. Terrific stories, all.

Thank you, Phyrebrat for the listing. I'm very pleased you enjoy my entries. And a huge thanks to TJ for the vote. :)

See you all back in the 300 in April, CC