DISCUSSION THREAD -- December 2022 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

@M. Robert Gibson .... Breakdown .... M. B. G. helps us to understand that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

@David Evil Overlord .... Untitled .... D. E. O. Reminds us that hype makes the world go round; or something.

@Elckerlyc .... The Flood .... E.L.C. writes us a most unusual post-apocalyptic tale.

Last edited:
Well, I had a visit from the flu fairy or her sister, the flu-like-illness fairy, and have been out for the count all week under the occasional care of Drs Benylin and Paracetamol. I really thought I'd miss this month, but I began to re-enter normal space last night and cobbled an entry out of notes I'd made earlier in the month.

I've been rushed off my feet for the last few days getting ready for the weekend (helpful tip for those who don't like housework -- don't have a sister who can spot cobwebs and enjoys drawing them to your attention) but while tidying, dusting and general cleaning, I've been thinking of snow drifts, sand drift, drifiting off to sleep (I wish...) and couldn't get a story out of any of them.

Then at 5 this morning the name Lucy came to me, along with a story, and in between making the semifreddo, mince pies, ginger shortbread and meringues, I managed to write it down, research it, prune it heavily, and revise it umpteen times until it was nearly intelligible. Am now going for a lie-down.

@Hugh .... “The Origins of the Petros Teachings” .... Hugh lets us understand how it is possible to drift into great truths.

@Daysman .... till sunbeams find you .... Daysman brings us to a drifting edge of creativity.

@The Judge .... Lucy in the Sea with Plastic .... T. J. shows us a drift toward destruction.

Daysman: Life is but a . . .

The Judge: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing . . .

Ursa major: Pay no attention to that . . .

Short List:

THX1138

Cat's Cradle

reiver33

johnnyjet

therapist

mosaix

The Judge

VOTE:

Guttersnipe

Last edited:
Well, I knew I'd be reviewing these stories overseas. Didn't think it would be stuck in Baku airport. Voting and writing this now, I am at least sat on a comfortable bed in the Baku Marriott (courtesy of Qantas airlines, whose plain broke down).
A very interesting round I enjoyed reading.

Honorable Mentions
Short List
  • @Ashleyne - I love a story that cracks me up straight off the bat
  • @JS Wiig - Unsettlingly existential
  • @reiver33 - Portentous!
  • @The Judge - Riffs on a despair of humanity that I can very much sympathize with
VOTE

@Elckerlyc, your story was just so vivid and out there; a chilling portrait of the long-term effects of a planet-wide apocalypse.

Merry Christmas everyone, and stay warm all our American and Canadian friends!!

courtesy of Qantas airlines, whose plain broke down
So you were on the plane that was diverted following a (possibly faulty) sensor reporting smoke in the hold, were you? :(

It's been reported in the news that an A380 is on its way to you from Australia, with an estimated time for your arrival at Heathrow being "early on Christmas morning".

So you were on the plane that was diverted following a (possibly faulty) sensor reporting smoke in the hold, were you? :(

It's been reported in the news that an A380 is on its way to you from Australia, with an estimated time for your arrival at Heathrow being "early on Christmas morning".

Yep, @Ursa major that was us (and still is). We are flying out from Baku 5am tomorrow, landing 6;30 am London time. 48 hours later!! But, like most things in life, it could always be worse.

There were two stories that impressed me a great deal this month: the more serious mosaix and the more silly M Robert Gibson. I wish that I had 2 votes, but as I have only one I went with the entry that gave me a good laugh when I needed one.

JS Wiig and Christine Wheelwright made my (short) shortlist.

Every once in a while a particular story hits me and sticks with me until the polls open. @paranoid marvin ’s lovely tale of till death do us part did that to me this time. Well done!

And everyone else, thank you for sharing your stories and cheers to a blessed holiday season for all.

And as always, a warm thanks to @Parson and @Victoria Silverwolf for the reviews.

@Ursa major .... It Isn’t Turtles All the Way Down .... Ursa shares with us a theory of drifting that turns everything on its ear. (That's as the saying goes.)

------

Voting later, probably on Christmas Day as by then all our Christmas parties are past.

Shortlist:
Accidents Happen by BigJ
The Better Angels of Our Nature by Cat's Cradle
Like Father, Like Daughter by Peter V
Boats Against the Current by Victoria Silverwolf
Corpus Derelicti by johnnyjet
The Flood by Elckerlyc

Vote:
Simply Drifting Apart by Guttersnipe

Back