DISCUSSION THREAD -- December 2022 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Mine was an abbreviated version of a story I wrote some years back, itself from a dream that I tried to exorcise by writing down.
The imagery of that alien explorer's death still haunts me though.
Thank you for explaining the source of the story. It's stayed with me more than any of the others. I'm not surprised now to find that its 'haunting' quality derives from a dream. For me it captures something of the human condition, of being 'asleep' (or 'dead') while at the mercy of currents far beyond one's control.

"Hello, you've reached the AA. What's your emergency?"

"Hi. I've been space truckin' for 2000 light years in my interplanetary craft and was about to re-enter Earth's stratosphere when my thrusters failed. Now I have no control over my craft. I'm eight miles high and floating in a most peculiar way, sort of sideways through time and..."

"Can I just interrupt, Mr. Spaceman? This is the Automobile Association. I think you need the Astroship Association."

On the remote chance that anybody is even slightly interested, the answers to the 'hidden' songs and lyrics in my little effort are

Space Truckin' - Deep Purple
2000 Light Years From Home - Rolling Stones
Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft - Carpenters
Eight Miles High - The Byrds
'floating in a most peculiar way' from Space Oddity - David Bowie
'sideways through time' from Silver Machine - Hawkwind
Mr Spaceman - The Byrds

Space Truckin' - Deep Purple
2000 Light Years From Home - Rolling Stones
Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft - Carpenters
Eight Miles High - The Byrds
'floating in a most peculiar way' from Space Oddity - David Bowie
'sideways through time' from Silver Machine - Hawkwind
Mr Spaceman - The Byrds

Although those are all, save Hawkwind, bands that I listened to. But I'm not sure I recognize any of those songs at all. Leading me to believe that those were really deep dives of someone who loved contemporary music a lot. Well done.

Although those are all, save Hawkwind, bands that I listened to. But I'm not sure I recognize any of those songs at all. Leading me to believe that those were really deep dives of someone who loved contemporary music a lot. Well done.
I imagine that if you heard the songs you would probably recognise them, or at least those that were singles
eg Carpenters

and David Bowie

and possibly Eight Miles High

Okay, I did know "8 Miles High" and "Space Oddity" so I guess the real problem is my age and that I don't listen to much Rock any more.

Back