Regional variations of words: Word-atlas

D63D7A64-7653-43BF-9B4A-5786AFE287EF.jpeg

What arbitrary divisions. The lowest goes from 0 to 59.5%. The next covers 1.8%, followed by 1.4%, 2.1%, 2.9%, 5.6%, and finishing with 26.7%. Seeing as the start is well past 50%, I'm not sure this says anything about the distribution of trucks. Given the broad definition of truck, it tells even less.

As a British kid raised on 'Yum Yum' I find the increasing use of 'Num Num' and 'Nom Nom' in the UK intensely irritating.
Are they American or possibly Indian terms?

As a side note I remember my mother saying:
" See, Mummy likes it. Yum Yum."
As she forced down a spoonful of cod liver oil to try to persuade me that it was edible. :giggle:

Agree with @Wayne Mack - overly broad definition of truck.
Coming from the FDA it undoubtedly means they are priming the public psyche for a 'reclassification' and draconian regulation of some of the above listed vehicles.
If you drive an SUV or crossover, it will be you they are targeting, watch this space. :giggle:

Since Africa came up, here are a few words that don't have quite the same meaning in Sah Theffricun Inglissh:

"Shame!"- cute (can also mean a pity) "Doris het a little girl." "Ag shame!"
"Klap" - sounds like "clap" but it means hit. "Ah'll klap you ay!"
"Robot" - traffic lights
"Check you"- see you later
"Skinner" - gossip
"Tune" - annoy. "Tune me lahk that ou boetie and ah'll moer you."
"Uncle" - can mean uncle, but also any friendly figure who's older (and male).
"Is it?" - a nothing phrase that generally denotes boredom with what your interlocuter is telling you. "En mah cousin wen tootha dentist on frahday." "Uzzit?"
"Just now" - some time in the not-too-distant future, but certainly not just now. "Ag Mork, when you gonna mow the lawn?" "Jus now."
"Sharp" or "sharp sharp" - pretty much anything you like. Denotes enthusiasm, thanks, yes, goodbye....take your pick

And then there are all those words you find only in STI but that would derail the thread.

Oh, the South African term for sneakers/running shoes is takkies.

Last edited: