Regional meet ups?

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
Do we ever organise regional meetings for members in a pub or wherever?
I know there is a Sussex contingent who seem to know each other.
There are probably quite a few of us within a 50 mile orbit of each other.
For info I'm in the picturesque Cynon Valley, South Wales.

It has happened before - the north west used to do one, from time to time, and the guys down in London do, too. I've met most of the Irish contingency from time to time. I guess it's just up to people to say they're interested

Down here in the South West, we've met three times, twice in Exeter and once (just before Covid) in Taunton.

There were a few of us met up in Carlisle - but that was a long time ago, and most of the participants aren't around these days. TJ, nixie and I had a minimeet in Winchester, as well.

Heading to Octocon in Dublin tomorrow. Think @Jo Zebedee is a guest, and Richard Sparks will be there too. If there are any more Chronners about and want to chat or grab a drink I'll be wearing a T shirt with the eye walker logo dealie from above this post.

Heading to Octocon in Dublin tomorrow. Think @Jo Zebedee is a guest, and Richard Sparks will be there too. If there are any more Chronners about and want to chat or grab a drink I'll be wearing a T shirt with the eye walker logo dealie from above this post.
Hiya sadly won’t make it after all - just so much going on here :( (and I loved my panel items so bah)

sadly won’t make it after all
Looks to be loads on offer, wasn't sure if I'd make it myself but with a 5am kick off I can get down for the half ten shows and head back at round four. Have never been to a convention so looking forward to seeing what the craic is. Pity you can't be there, anyways it's good to be busy.

Looks to be loads on offer, wasn't sure if I'd make it myself but with a 5am kick off I can get down for the half ten shows and head back at round four. Have never been to a convention so looking forward to seeing what the craic is. Pity you can't be there, anyways it's good to be busy.
Ah, it's always a nice friendly convention. With the train not running from Belfast, it's just really difficult to get down and up in one day, and I only have Sunday alas.

get down and up in one day
It's a spin allright -had planned to make Jack F's Idiom workshop at half ten but it means a 5am kick off and I'm on late night family taxi duty tonight, so will prob end up just making a few hours of the afternoon. The gang seem really friendly and I know they do stuff on Discord, but I can't make head nor tail of that setup ...prob a sign of age. Be good to chat to folk in person. See ya next time (y)

It's a spin allright -had planned to make Jack F's Idiom workshop at half ten but it means a 5am kick off and I'm on late night family taxi duty tonight, so will prob end up just making a few hours of the afternoon. The gang seem really friendly and I know they do stuff on Discord, but I can't make head nor tail of that setup ...prob a sign of age. Be good to chat to folk in person. See ya next time (y)
Are you coming up to Eastercon/Reconnect in Belfast at Easter?

Eastercon/Reconnect
Looks great -I've never been to a convention before so didn't know about it. To be honest I've only ever known one other SF fan in real life (and his mind boggling thirteen books a week gave me proper perspective on the lightweight outer space adventurer that I am). I've stuck Eastercon in the diary -a lot handier than Dublin, will def spin up for one of the days.

Looks great -I've never been to a convention before so didn't know about it. To be honest I've only ever known one other SF fan in real life (and his mind boggling thirteen books a week gave me proper perspective on the lightweight outer space adventurer that I am). I've stuck Eastercon in the diary -a lot handier than Dublin, will def spin up for one of the days.
It’ll be a good sized convention too - lots going on! I will defo be at it as on the committee for my sins

Good stuff, was just thinking yesterday that it might be fun to have two or three lost extraterrestrials wandering about bickering in the canteen/ after panels -just doing random 3 min comedy bits. There is a gang living here called the 'Toxic Dogs' who go around the music festivals dressed as steampunk folk in wacky vehicles and it's great for atmosphere. I know a couple of comedians here that would be up for doing a milder SF equivalent if it's something you reckon might work. Just a thought -convention was great, made the Idiom workshop which was interesting and funny (seemingly the constitution as gaeilge refers to the Irish flag as green, white and 'really really yellow' :ROFLMAO: ).

Good stuff, was just thinking yesterday that it might be fun to have two or three lost extraterrestrials wandering about bickering in the canteen/ after panels -just doing random 3 min comedy bits. There is a gang living here called the 'Toxic Dogs' who go around the music festivals dressed as steampunk folk in wacky vehicles and it's great for atmosphere. I know a couple of comedians here that would be up for doing a milder SF equivalent if it's something you reckon might work. Just a thought -convention was great, made the Idiom workshop which was interesting and funny (seemingly the constitution as gaeilge refers to the Irish flag as green, white and 'really really yellow' :ROFLMAO: ).
Pop it in as a programme suggestion :)