Book Search Resources

I thought, though I may be well wrong, that Jinn was the group name for the beings. The type of being a Jinni (or genie) is. The Plural in English being Jinnis (Genies).

Like 'Human' or 'Humanity' is to a man or a woman.

I value this site for its files of an excellent defunct London-based magazine, Encounter, to which innumerable lights, from Arthur Koestler to Vaclav Havel to W. H. Auden, contributed. The conversation of Kingsley Amis, Brian Aldiss, and C. S. Lewis about science fiction was reprinted there from an obscure magazine. If some jinni were to offer me the complete file of some 20th-century magazine in English -- Encounter would be the first thing to come to my mind, I suppose. Said jinni not having materialized, I will visit the Unz site despite my disagreement with some content there.
@Extollager Do you have a link to the UNZ article where Aldiss, Amis and Lewis discuss SF? That sounds fascinating and I'd love to read it. I've searched for it but am not finding it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Here it is, Orcadian, from the March 1965 issue of Encounter.

Looking at subsequent issues to see if the letters column had any comments (no finds so far) I ran across an Isaac Bashevis Singer story...

...and a Borges piece...

I really would invite anyone to browse issues of this fondly remembered magazine and then to make a case that there was a better magazine of ideas and literature in English anywhere at the time.

Last edited:
Here's a reminiscence in Encounter by John Christopher (No Blade of Grass) of C. S. Lewis and his American sf fan wife Joy.

I like to think that, had he lived long enough, George Orwell would've been a contributor to Encounter. I think he'd have felt at home there.

I appreciate his remark in his essay “Notes on Nationalism”: “One has to belong to the intelligentsia to believe things like that: no ordinary man could be such a fool.” A book about any decade in the 20th century, and I suppose in our own, organized around that theme, could be quite a worthwhile project. But to read articles in Encounter issues that discuss current ideas can be to wonder where it went, that ability to discuss seriously but not ponderously or abusively the ideas circulating among the "intelligentsia."

Orcadian -- wow, what a resource! It's great to see that it includes short stories as well as novels.

This has loads of mini reviews of old short SF stories in anthologies and magazines, however there's no search so you need to click on each item to get a list of the contents

Science Fiction Novel and Short Story Review INDEX by Author

You could use Google's site: switch
I.E. type in the search bar:
Code:
"Joanna Russ" Novel site:sciencefictionruminations.com
to show entries with (in this case) "Joanna Russ" and "novel" in them.

I use it a lot in places with no built in search.

I might not need to buy a book ever again!

1669151379654.png