I am searching for a book author and title of a paperback published since 1950

GLC3

Plot: competing expeditions from earth are sent to investigate a miles long ship discovered beyond Jupiter's orbit. Upon arrival they determine that the derelict is inhabited by laboratory animals not from earth whose mechanical feeding troughs have failed.

Protecting themselves from attack, the humans explore and determine that the ship is experimental and may have had a crew of 2 intelligent beings from a planet subject to a windy environment. After losing human astronauts to attacks by hungry alien animals, they open an area that may hold the surviving crewmen. They had earlier discovered a dead alien crewmember, whom they surmise was one of a mated pair. When they enter the unexplored area of the ship they are being followed by hungry alien animals. In a final attack by those animals the humans exhaust their ammo and are fighting the animals hand to hand. One man who is losing the fight hears a hatchway open, revealing the last alien astronaut who has lost several of its limbs and whose caterpillar-like body is badly scarred by wounds from earlier fights with the lab animals. But the alien astronaut is carrying a very obvious weapon with which it opens fire upon the renaining lab animals, thereby rescuing the humans. At the end of the novel, the humans have brought their smallest space capsule inside the hold of the alien ship (as a gift). In return the alien gives them photos of its planet and other small items. The humans repair the alien ship's hyperdrive which had been disabled earlier when they didn't want to take an unexpected trip if the alien ship happened to return to its home world automatically. That is the gist of the plot, although the Americans are returning home in a Russian capsule with other Earth astronauts.

I don't speak Krell or Vulcanese or Gort's language.

That sounds Like All Judgment Fled by James White. I read it just recently.

JameS White is best know for his Sector General Hospital ship novels . He's a terrific writer , his books are very difficult to put down once you start reading them. :)

Last edited:
That sounds Like All Judgment Fled by James White. I read it just recently.

JameS White is best know for his Sector General Hospital ship novels . He's a terrific writer , his books are very difficult to put down once you start reading them. :)
You may have hit it on the nose. I'll check that out. Thank you so much for sharing!!

The ship has similarities to the "Ecological Service" ships in the stories by good ol' what's-his-name.

The ship has similarities to the "Ecological Service" ships in the stories by good ol' what's-his-name.
The book is Tuf Voyaging by George R R Martin. Tuf is the name of the 'hero.'

The book is Tuf Voyaging by George R R Martin. Tuf is the name of the 'hero.'
Very similar but in Tuff Voyaging, the humans all try to betray each other rather than working together, and whilst there are alien nasties, I do not recall intelligent aliens. I think that the ship in Tuff Voyaging basically works: at least the protagonist runs it solo after the others are killed off.

Very similar but in Tuff Voyaging, the humans all try to betray each other rather than working together, and whilst there are alien nasties, I do not recall intelligent aliens. I think that the ship in Tuff Voyaging basically works: at least the protagonist runs it solo after the others are killed off.
True-- but the humans split into at least 3 camps-- Tuf, learning how to clone a cat (and run the ship); and the others in 2 groups, aiming for each other (so to speak). And aren't humans the most alien of all? :) Tuf does set some of the stored creatures free-- I seem to remember a T-Rex...
I just added it to my Kindle list and am re-reading it.