Ideas for the casting of the 14th Doctor?

CriticalCarrot

I was wondering what ideas you all had for the casting of the 14th Doctor, I personally think it'd be cool if Michael Sheen took the mantle of the doctor, I feel like he could deliver the witty and damaged performance that's needed for The Doctor. Whoever is cast as the 14th Doctor will hopefully give us some great episodes to make up for the sh*t show that was Jodie Whittaker's run as The Doctor.

Have you a source? I think Jodie is doing great, and any falloff could be due to there being too many companions or, you know, just some sh*t writing (do they REALLY have to force environmental issues down our throats like that?). I'm not sure Michael Sheen would be a great choice; I watched "Staged", the shut-in lockdown comedy he did with David and it was great, but I didn't see the flashes of brilliance I expect from the Doctor there. I'm not familiar with the rest of his work though, so I guess I'm not a reliable critic in that case.

But with all this diversity in the BBC, surely the next Doctor has to be a dustbrush and pan? What do you mean, they're not real people? Well, that's just utensilist, that is! I suppose YOU think dustpans and brushes should stick to sweeping up floors and dumping in to bins, do you? You don't believe in allowing household items to realise their full potential? Next you'll be saying what was Dusty Bin doing on 3-2-1? Or that vacuum cleaners suck! Shame on you, having such notions in this supposedly enlightened twenty-first century! Shame, I say!

Have you a source? I think Jodie is doing great, and any falloff could be due to there being too many companions or, you know, just some sh*t writing (do they REALLY have to force environmental issues down our throats like that?). I'm not sure Michael Sheen would be a great choice; I watched "Staged", the shut-in lockdown comedy he did with David and it was great, but I didn't see the flashes of brilliance I expect from the Doctor there. I'm not familiar with the rest of his work though, so I guess I'm not a reliable critic in that case.

But with all this diversity in the BBC, surely the next Doctor has to be a dustbrush and pan? What do you mean, they're not real people? Well, that's just utensilist, that is! I suppose YOU think dustpans and brushes should stick to sweeping up floors and dumping in to bins, do you? You don't believe in allowing household items to realise their full potential? Next you'll be saying what was Dusty Bin doing on 3-2-1? Or that vacuum cleaners suck! Shame on you, having such notions in this supposedly enlightened twenty-first century! Shame, I say!
Here's my source Doctor Who suffers lowest ratings since 2005 revival

The BBC will never go back to a male Doctor.
For a regeneration or two.
Their response to all complaints is to highlight the initial "spoilt man child whining about women ruining their fun" response.
JW is the greatest ever, to claim otherwise is to be one of these haters.
That's the problem with organisations composed of straight white privately enducted men, they get terrified people will catch on and want them to change, so they over-compensate..

So I say Vicky McClure, that gaze of utter comtempt turned upon Daleks is worth the license fee alone.
But this would detract from Line of Duty, so sorry folks, cancel Dr Who...

I read that article, and it seems to contradict what you say, Mr. Carrott. If Jodie was the reason why ratings slumped, then why was her first series the highest ratings in however? Surely, then, if the ratings are slumping it's due more to the bad (often terrible) writing and the need to crowbar god-damn "messages" and "morals" into every other story than the person playing the title role?

Personally, while it might be a painfully obvious move, I see a black Doctor next (shut up, Basil Fawlty! Times have changed, you know) and maybe even a black female one, as already foreshadowed in one of the last episodes. Hey, for total PC cred make her a lesbian too, or a "gender fluid" timelord. But yeah, another male is going to do nothing for their ratings and to be honest would be a step backwards after Jodie. Wonder why it always has to be a human? Can't the Doctor regenerate as some sort of cool alien, like maybe Kiff from Futurama (sigh)?

I read that article, and it seems to contradict what you say, Mr. Carrott. If Jodie was the reason why ratings slumped, then why was her first series the highest ratings in however? Surely, then, if the ratings are slumping it's due more to the bad (often terrible) writing and the need to crowbar god-damn "messages" and "morals" into every other story than the person playing the title role?

Personally, while it might be a painfully obvious move, I see a black Doctor next (shut up, Basil Fawlty! Times have changed, you know) and maybe even a black female one, as already foreshadowed in one of the last episodes. Hey, for total PC cred make her a lesbian too, or a "gender fluid" timelord. But yeah, another male is going to do nothing for their ratings and to be honest would be a step backwards after Jodie. Wonder why it always has to be a human? Can't the Doctor regenerate as some sort of cool alien, like maybe Kiff from Futurama (sigh)?
Oh sorry I must have worded it wrong, I didn't mean to blame Jodie, I meant the actual episodes, they're poorly written and some of them mess with the rules that have already been established.

Yeah maybe I read it wrong. But some of the stories have been dire. I get a sense of self-congratulation from some of them, as if they're saying "look! Look what we did! Isn't it cool? Bet you couldn't write this!" I particularly hated that mad one about planets being stolen and put in jars or something? Christ let me check. Hmm, may not have been her: I did have to catch up on some Matt Smith eps I hadn't seen before, so maybe that was one of them. But as for Jodie's run, well, Orphan 55 was pretty laughable, with a terrible ending. It Takes You Away, Tsurunga Conundrum, Nikola Tesla... and that's another thing: why the need to have famous figures in episodes? We have Byron and the Shelleys, Tesla, Rosa Parks... can't these stories stand on their own? And what is with the Daleks and the Cybermen always being behind everything?

Someone who can bring a bit of eccentricity to the role...
Noel Fielding, Russell Brand or Stephen Mangan types

I have no interest in trying to make Dr. Who pc my making him female, or black.

Stephen Mangan is actually a great choice. I’ve liked him in everything I’ve seen him in and he has a genuine quirkyness that makes him appealing.

What about Mark Strong? An excellent actor who’ll bring quite a dark element to the role.