(Found) Looking for a science fiction book based on a court case about whether development of a resort would be allowed on a remote beautiful planet

Chris Vivian

I am looking for a science fiction book that read around 1980-1985 so it could have been published in the 1960's, 1970's or early 1980's. The plot centered around a series of court cases in a universe court that was about whether a developer could develop a resort on an unspoiled remote planet. The book started when a roving individual discovered (crashed on the planet I think) the remote beautiful planet and recognized that it would be spoiled by any development. Before he died on that planet, he wrote a plan for the inhabitants of the planet of how to approach a court case to get any development defeated. When the planet was 'discovered' a large corporation thought it would be a great resort and that was when the inhabitants initiated the court cases. The plan meant that all the court cases were lost except the final one when the developer was completely defeated. I cannot remember why it was necessary to go through the losing cases but I think it was critical to the final result.
I had thought the book was written by Larry Niven but I could not find any such book in his publications.

This is actually one of the most concise descriptions I have seen in the search forum.
Good work, great memory for plot; even if not for title and author.
I talked sh*t about title but, after further review, agree with the helpful concision.

Back