DISCUSSION -- JULY 2017 300-word Writing Challenge (#26)

Really annoyed...

Reading through all the stories and there's a mistake in my piece I never picked up on, a repeated word that should not be there.

Ack. I'm pissed off at my wooden headed self right now! :D :devilish:

v

Really annoyed...

Reading through all the stories and there's a mistake in my piece I never picked up on, a repeated word that should not be there.

Ack. I'm pissed off at my wooden headed self right now! :D :devilish:

v

You're not the only one. I managed to post the wrong version - last but one iteration. Didn't spot until today.

Reactions: Vaz
It's a terrific story, Vaz, and the doubled word wouldn't matter to me when I'm considering my votes. The brownies, though, have caught my interest. ;)

dannymcg -- This subtle tale of the bizarre is sure to send a chill up the reader's spine.
Thanks Victoria.
My character "Barney Hopkins" is an amalgamation of Barney Hill, (the first alien abduction) and Budd Hopkins (Communion by Whitley Streiber) .

But hey, I'm sure a lot of Chron members noticed that right away

Starbeast -- With tongue firmly in cheek the author creates a new variation on classic themes of popular literature.

It was getting late, I was sitting at my cluttered desk, visiting my favorite sci-fi/fantasy website, when I noticed I got a review for my latest 300 tale. Lady Victoria, has the gift of gab, and knew exactly how to comment on my entry. I was about to thank her when, two dark grey, inch and a quarter long silverfish crawled near me on the left wall. I hate those rotten, filthy mugs... so I rubbed them both out. I'm glad I spotted those bad guys first, because they get you in your sleep. Nasty buggers. The heavy rains must be forcing them indoors.

Anywhoo.

Thank you, Lady Victoria.

I have a completed story whose main characters are a pine, an oak and a poplar...and I've just now read Victoria's, and Vaz's wonderful entries, *sigh*. Maybe I'll just hang on to my little story for awhile. ;)

Don't sweat it pal. It ain't easy thinking up another forest tale. Our last 300, also took place in the woods. I don't like to read other stories until I can come up with something. But before I post, I skim through the tales just to be sure I'm not too similar to another person's work. It happened a few times where I had to scrap a story and start again.

Keep working at it, you've got time. Try not to think too hard Cat's, let the muse come to you.

:) Thank you, Starbeast, for the sound advise! I'm not happy with my first story. My (odd-little) muse comes to me most often when I am surrounded by trees; I plan on going for a forest walk today, so I will be as close to my muse, and the challenge's inspiration, as is possible.

Don't know what I'll do if that fails (is there a challenge-story black market on-site?). I'm suggesting all kinds of nefarious goings-on this month!

Just a reminder to everyone....

The image is only there to inspire you. Your story does not have to include anything in the image.

Dan Jones -- A combination of historical realism and poetic myth results in a compelling tale of good and evil.

Alex Darion -- Classic themes of fantasy are used to create a bittersweet love story in this gentle story.

Cory Swanson -- This modern myth mixes science and magic to great effect.

Last edited:
I'm in. I don't care what you say, I'm happy about this one. Up against some stiff competition. Great job everyone!