DISCUSSION -- APRIL 2017 300-word Writing Challenge (#25)

I fought to get rid of those extra words and I got them. Yay!. I even counted by hand to make sure. Twice.

Now, it's time to start coming up with that other story.

So many compromises, in cutting a story from 500 words to 300 (or in this case, 299:)). I hope/think the essence of the story is still there.

Looking forward to reading all of the entries! Good luck with the writing, gang, CC

It's been a protracted birth for this month's 300, going through a couple of failures before settling on something concrete. As of this morning, I had a decent core story concept but I was fretting that it didn't really click, that there was too much to tell in too little space. Changing two lines - two words almost - and it suddenly seemed to fall into place, blossoming into something far more potent than I'd expected.

Only a few words to trim now. I think I'm...

Jo Zebedee -- The complexity of human relationships is depicted in this dark fantasy of love and hate.

Ashleyne -- This psychological chiller reveals how that are motivations stronger than family loyalty.

Calliopenjo -- A matter-of-fact style and the use of details make the fantastic seem real in this story.

Cat's Cradle -- The unpleasant facts of the past are brought to light in this alternate history.

Mice Helium

Sorry all, couldn't resist inducing a few groans :)

btw - it's a chunk of chapter four of a WIP that I tweaked slightly for the challenge (so critique if you want)

Last edited:
btw - it's a chunk of chapter four of a WIP that I tweaked slightly for the challenge (so critique if you want)
Just in case any newbie sees this and thinks to oblige Danny, we don't allow critiques here in the Discussion thread, and only positive comments on the stories put up, so no, please don't critique it.

Danny, if you want feedback on this story, you'll have to wait for voting to finish here in the 300 Worder, and then you can put the piece up in the appropriate "Improving..." thread. We can't allow it to be critiqued further in the meantime, since that might give you an unfair advantage compared to stories which don't have specific feedback of that kind.

Of course, if you want part of your WiP critiqued, by all means put it up in Critiques, subject to the 1500 word limit, at any time, though not the chapter 4 which this specific tale comes from, please. If you want that looked at, then again leave it until after voting has finished here. Thanks.

Just in case any newbie sees this and thinks to oblige Danny, we don't allow critiques here in the Discussion thread, and only positive comments on the stories put up, so no, please don't critique it.

Danny, if you want feedback on this story, you'll have to wait for voting to finish here in the 300 Worder, and then you can put the piece up in the appropriate "Improving..." thread. We can't allow it to be critiqued further in the meantime, since that might give you an unfair advantage compared to stories which don't have specific feedback of that kind.

Of course, if you want part of your WiP critiqued, by all means put it up in Critiques, subject to the 1500 word limit, at any time, though not the chapter 4 which this specific tale comes from, please. If you want that looked at, then again leave it until after voting has finished here. Thanks.

Fair enough. I should have read rules first.
Once votings over I'll do just that and post stuff in critiques.
Apologies all round (always had probs with blundering blindly in)

Doh!

I had my entry straight away from seeing the picture. A idea that seen floating around in my head for a while now... I just hope I managed to get it written down right on the page, because i love it.
It's one of those stories that is brilliant in my head, but you can never get down everyting just how you want it, can you? And certainly aren't in any position to judge if you did :confused:

Luiglin -- This lighthearted look at a classic legend brings heroic figures down to earth.

Jason McGraw -- The realistic style and local color of this story makes the amazing seem very believable.

dannymcg -- This exciting science fiction adventure adds the spice of humor to its savory mixture.

HoopyFrood -- The mysteries of aging as seen through a child's eyes is depicted in this nostalgic dark fantasy.

LittleStar -- The author ponders the nature of time in this moving and imaginative tale.

Rafellin -- This surrealistic chiller reveals the emotional power of family connections, for good or evil.

Stuart Suffell -- The way in which the bonds of love hold us is shown in this compelling, moody story.

Thanks Victoria. I'd probably go with 'atmospheric' rather than 'moody'...lol.

Have to say, reading through the entries, it is quite amazing how much can be achieved with so few words.
A great writing exercise, and a great display of what's possible is such a tight word space.
Looking forward to the new ones.

Quick query on the voting..
It seems I am allowed three votes.
Could I give a vote to story 'D' and further through the list give a vote to story 'Z'
Then, after going through all the stories again, could I award a SECOND vote to story 'Z'?
Is that allowed?
Just curious and got no idea of those two stories respective merits