DISCUSSION -- APRIL 2017 300-word Writing Challenge (#25)

Quick query on the voting..
It seems I am allowed three votes.
Could I give a vote to story 'D' and further through the list give a vote to story 'Z'
Then, after going through all the stories again, could I award a SECOND vote to story 'Z'?
Is that allowed?
Just curious and got no idea of those two stories respective merits
One thing to be careful about us that all three votes must be cast at the same time.

I don't understand why we can't vote for our own stories? And multiple times.
I mean, are we to encourage self hatred of our own work?
Is that where we are now?
Is it??
Is it???

(answers on postcards only)

Quick query on the voting..
It seems I am allowed three votes.
Could I give a vote to story 'D' and further through the list give a vote to story 'Z'
Then, after going through all the stories again, could I award a SECOND vote to story 'Z'?
Is that allowed?
It's actually not possible to give a second vote to one story, even if it were allowed. As mosaix says, all three votes have to be cast at the same time, and hitting the same story "button" twice simply removes the original vote. If you don't use all three votes together, then when you come back to the poll it simply won't allow you to vote again. (And if anyone is thinking of creating an alter ego and voting under a different name, getting around the rule that way, having two or more identities on here is actually against the rules of the site, leading to greater penalties, so is not to be contemplated.)

So the wisest course of action, to avoid clicking things by mistake, is not to go anywhere near the poll unless and until you've read all the stories, made up your mind and you're ready for vote for all three -- or however many you want to vote for, since as Victoria says, there's no obligation to vote three times, though we encourage it.

I chose to vote for a single story one month because I really loved it and couldn't make my mind up on others and it caused a holy hullabaloo!

I think I get upset when people only vote once because I want the chance of being your third vote. I think it would be interesting if people had to rank their top three. Maybe you could get three points for a first place vote, two for a second, and one for a third.

Or maybe it's great the way it is because you can win even if you're everyone's third place.

Hmmmmmm....

I also think that the 75s would be more interesting if we had three votes. It would put more stories in contention. Maybe I would have a chance of ever getting more than one vote.

Yeah, that's wishful thinking. I suck at 75s.

Not always. I chose to vote for a single story one month because I really loved it and couldn't make my mind up on others and it caused a holy hullabaloo!

It was only meant as a joke, Jo.
I wasn't accusing anyone of voting malpractice. :)

. I think it would be interesting if people had to rank their top three. Maybe you could get three points for a first place vote, two for a second, and one for a third...

Makes me think of the episode of 'Auf Weiderschen Pet' where they ended up repainting their accomodation hut an awful yellow colour because that was everyones third choice and it got most votes

As a small symbolic gesture for language equality I tend to use "she" as the default pronoun for a person of unspecified sex. (This question would not have come up if I had used "he," I think.)

Fair enough. I would say you're quite right in your assumption, don't think I would even had noticed if you'd said 'he'.

Back