Discussion Thread -- JANUARY 2017 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Well. Wow. What an excellent thing to wake up to on a Sunday morning:D

There is something so special when someone thinks the little story you've written is the best out of so many fantastic entries and authors, which is why it's always an honour to get any vote or mention. But to get so many rooting for my story is very humbling.
Thank you all who voted for me. And everyone who mentioned my entry as well.
Though you have condemned me to two days of umming and ahhing over genre and theme now:p

My story was something that had been rolling around in my brain for a while and fitted with the theme, so I thought it was time to put it to paper.
In all of my stories I try to find the most powerful image, the thing that holds the most heart, and the slow realisation of a child, and the commitment to remembering a lost parent was that image. Sometimes the words just come easily.

On a side note, there seems to be something about January that gets my 75worders running their best. Last Jan I won with 7votes as well. Especially strange as more of my creative focus is definately placed elsewhere... Maybe i should write full time all year;):rolleyes:

Congratulations, LittleStar!
A well-deserved win.

Congrats Star (calling you "little" at this stage of your greatness feels awkward).

Quite a bunch of mentions for me this month and even an "almost". TA!

Thank you Martin321 and Shyrka. Ashleyne had to be a safe vote for me and so it was, but still much appreciated. A mention from Judge should count as a vote, it really should. I'd demand a recount but Littlestar had this months competition in the bag and congratulations Littlestar, the chasing pack were no-where near. Cough... RAY GUNS... hint... cough.

I'll get you next time Perp.

Ditto what Ashleyne said, LittleStar! A terrific victory! I'm excited we'll all be working on your genre/theme pairing in just a few days! :)

And thank you kindly to all of the folks who listed or voted for my story. It was greatly appreciated, CC

Congratulations LS! Spooky - two January wins.

Two months in a row with no votes; I must be losing my touch. Speaking of touch, the trigger on my sniper rifle is hair-sensitive @Cat's Cradle ;)

Thank you for the mentions which seemed quite plentiful this month. I promise not to write anything else about fish or lakes (if I can).

(and @ratsy I see you've finally got a copy of The Fisherman! )

pH

:) You've nothing to worry about, pH! I have a feeling votes will be plentiful on your tally sheet in the very near future.

For those who didn't catch the references**, my story is about a combined fleet sent to avenge the destruction of its predecessor. (All they know is that a dog ate it.) The fleet is so small (nearly everyone had been in the first fleet) that the Earth ship's sensors, cameras and telescopes don't have the resolution required to detect it. (Well, the much bigger, earlier fleet was destroyed by being eaten by a small dog....)

I should also note that there's an advert on UK TV that uses a similar conceit -- although the ships and aliens are much larger (the latter being a few inches high) -- which partly "inspired" my story... by reminding me of the HHGTTG episode.

** - Give or take a misspelling.... Anyway, it's from the HHGTTG.

Congrat's Little Star! a nice story. I like a good tear jerker, and your's certainly qualified.

Congrats on your win, LittleStar!! :)
And thank you again to the folks that mentioned me in their lists. Definitely looking forward to trying more of these challenges in the future. It is such a good writing/learning experience.

Sorry I didn't get this up sooner -- I was enmeshed in the great NYC writing contest -- but I finally managed to compile my list. I squeaked my vote in on time, though. :)

Peter V -- Re-Population Crisis
Droflet -- Turnaround
Robert Mackay -- A Brand New Year
Heijan Xavier -- Unshrinking Resolution
Ihe -- Re-solution Inc.
Perp -- Waiting
mosaix -- Truer Words Never Spoken
Cul -- New Year's Resolutions
TJ -- Devil Child
*Mr Orange -- Craeses Management*

ratsy -- A New Year

And huge thanks and chocolate chip cookies to Droflet, johnnyjet and ErikB for the lovely, lovely votes! :D

Congratulations Littlestar! Well deserved win for a sad but beautiful story.

i was surprised but pleased to get likes for my re-hashing of an old story, but I was keen to complete my second trilogy in two months. This month was the final chapter of a Jenkins and Smythe trilogy. No strangers to the 75 worders, the heroes began their adventure with the continuum destabilising engine in May of last year, came close to productionising their invention the following month, but only in Jan 17 did Jenkins finally realise the catastrophic effects of the machine and give up his dream.

Last month was the final chapter of ‘The pub with no beer’, a three month story set in a plagiarised, apocalyptic Aussie outback.

Two trilogies in two months is a record for me, if not for the site, and I’m on a hat-trick.

Last edited:

Back