Discussion Thread -- JANUARY 2017 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Into the final stretch. I'd make it perhaps 10-12 more votes, so literally everyone has a chance but some are more likely than others.

Holy cow, I got a stealth vote. I wasn't expecting this. Many thanks, Judderman.

He has to save his energy for his RAY GUN... and voting closes at midnight tonight, so he must be ready to "encourage" those who haven't yet voted.

His ray gun works on solar power. Not a good choice for anyone in the UK.

And for once, no complaints from me about stories missing the genre!** I did wonder whether one or two met the theme, however... And as ever there were a good number I didn't understand.

Anyhow, my shortlist:

Bowler1 -- I am THE only cHiLd (how could I not shortlist it!)
Cat's Cradle -- Re:Solutions
Culhwch -- New Year's Resolutions
Ihe -- Re-Solution Inc.
Phyrebrat -- Call me Ahab
ratsy -- A New Year
reiver33 -- High-res Heartbreak
Robert Mackay -- A Brand New Year
Stable -- Contact
Victoria Silverwolf -- Excerpts from the Captain's Personal Log

After some ruthlessness I got it down to two contenders, CC and Phyrebrat, and Cat's Cradle just won by the shortest of short noses for the clever twist at the end.

Some devilish, childish and possibly psychotic -- but sincerely meant! -- thanks for the shortlistings/mentions Parson, Stable, Coast, Ihe, Droflet, johnnyjet, Glen, Cat's Cradle, Phyrebrat, HazelRah and Ashleyne! (This must be one of the most-mentions-without-a-single-vote months I've ever had!)

** Wruter, johnnyjet and mosaix are completely right -- no speculative element was required here at all with the "open" genre -- that's the point of it. You may be confusing it with the 300 worder, where the genre is always SFF/speculative genre regardless of the image, but even then, we don't disqualify stories for missing the genre since it's a question for each voter to assess, and like beauty it's rather in the eye of the beholder.

Lots of great entries this month as always, enjoyable re-read and tough to decide on my shortlist.
I have to give a nod to:-

Ignited Moth
Phyre
Ihe
Cullwch
Judderman

And I don't usually go for the more comedic stories, it's quite difficult to make me laugh I think, but I've read the entry by @Starbeast at least half a dozen times this month, and everytime ive been laughing out loud. Through a simple use of font size I can perfectly imagine to and fro trying to escape exploding candy bars:ROFLMAO: I thought this was brilliantly done. And would have won my vote on another month:eek:

But as brilliant as it is, it comes short of what was, for me, a near perfect entry from @reiver33 This is exactly what I look for in challenges, and stories in general. Its a stunning and powerful image, told with beautiful words, that i was pretty sure had my vote from first read(y)

Wow! I may retire now from Challenges...I have received a vote from The Judge!! :) Honestly, that makes me so happy, thank you TJ!
Also, LittleStar is doing quite well in the voting! ;)

Also, LittleStar is doing quite well in the voting! ;)

I know right!:eek:

I hadn't realised until now when I went to add my vote. Great thanks to everyone who has dropped a stone in my hat.
Id always read about elusive stealth votes, but never encountered one... Now i get two come at once!:LOL:

But as brilliant as it is, it comes short of what was, for me, a near perfect entry from @reiver33 This is exactly what I look for in challenges, and stories in general. Its a stunning and powerful image, told with beautiful words, that i was pretty sure had my vote from first read(y)
That's pretty much how I felt about that one too.

I didn't even set it as a resolution, but I've voted before the last minute... just....

Anyway, here are the results of the Ursa jury:

Honourable Mentions:
  • REVRES by Dave Barsby
  • Call me Ahab by Phyrebrat
  • Re-Solution Inc. by Ihe
  • Riding the Wild Hippocampus by Hugh

Runners Up:
  • Excerpts from the Captain's Personal Log by Victoria Silverwolf
  • Unshrinking Resolution by Heijan Xavier
  • I Am Red by DG Jones

Winner:
  • A Brand New Year by Robert Mackay

(In the above, each category is ordered by time of posting.)

No real shortlist for me. I'll try to get back and put one in, but short for time.

Vote went to @LittleStar. Oh, boy, that one got me. But I resisted the tears coming to my eyes. Well, mostly.

Well done LittleStar! (y) Running away with it in the end!

And my Thank-you's go out to,
For reviewing - Victoria and Parson.
For votes - Stable, Perpetual Man
For mentions - Hugh, Droflet, Cat's Cradle, ratsy.

Oh, and I always mean to, and forget, Thanks to the mods who make it all possible, so this month, Ursa and The Judge. :)

Last edited:

Back