DISCUSSION -- April 2015 300-word Writing Challenge (#17)

...this is London calling and these are the votes for this years Eurovis- Oops, wrong competition. <Slaps head>

Firstly big call out for Ashleyne B. Watts, Victoria Silverwolf, Starbeast, Remedy & DG Jones for putting in all the effort for posting your own reviews. You're all NUTS. But my kind of nuts. (Although DG, I'd probably try and cut down the length of your reviews ;))

Have been pondering for a long time and I'd love to give everyone a point just for succeeding at entering. But I only have three points to give, so the rest of you I will try and send via dream-vision, jaffa cakes and a strong brew of tea so we can toast your fine stories.

Everything made the choice difficult, loads of stories were effective, well written and highly enjoyable. It came down to little quirks and me squinting hard to try and make a differentiation. The ones that made my life most difficult in picking the top three and should be given honourable mentions are:

Jo Zebedee
Denise Tanaka
Jastius
Phyrebrat
Alchemist

The three I have actually voted for are:

Juliana's Whisper in the Wind - a delicate little supernatural tale. Beautiful as a exotic jungle orchid.
Tywin's The Ace - Ok, ok, I was about to snap at the five planes...then the twist got me. A very neat and concise ending.
Luigin's Beyond - A twisted cargo cult-ish bit of horror fantasy. I loved the little touches as the outsider looks in on an alien people.

Finally, as of posting, it has been so lovely to be mentioned in others posts here on this thread. It makes me glow all inside with happiness just to be mentioned.

So big thanks to: Jo, Juliana, LittleStar, Alchemist, Moonbat, Johnnyjet and Chrispenycate.

And a special big shout for STARBEAST and TITANIUM TI for giving me my first points in any competition here.

I'm ever so 'umbled.

Once again I find myself reading through the entries blown away, astounded, totally overwhelmed by the sheer brilliance of each and every entry.

It would be so easy to list everyone in my short list, but then we can't have that can we?

So CC, Victoria and Littlestar get the honourable mentions, and the votes go to:

Tywin
Cascade
Moonbat

and that was a hard call.

Thanks for the vote, Kerry! I'm up to 4 votes. That's the best I've done in a long time. Much appreciated. Like everyone else, I do it for the challenge and the fun. Mentions & votes are icing on the cake. (But I do have to admit, I really like icing.)

Thank you, Victoria Silverwolf, Remedy, Starbeast and Ashleyne B. Watts, for the reviews.

Thank you, Cat's Cradle, johnnyjet and Starbeast for the listings/mentions.

Thank you, Remedy, for the vote. Wow, a vote! (Jumps up and down.)

Finally, thank you to everybody for writing such interesting and thought-provoking stories. IMO, they all warranted a vote. In fact, my first reaction to five of them was, "I must vote for this." With only three votes, a comma influenced my decision. After which, I was so exhausted that it has taken me a couple of weeks to comment on my vote:

Long list
Cat's Cradle
Tywin
Phyrebrat
johnnyjet

Shortlist
Victoria Silverwolf
Remedy
Karn Maeshalanadae
Perpetual Man

Vote
Telford
Juliana
Venusian Broon

Thanks again for the vote, TT. And to Luiglin for the vote. Two votes this month? The world's gone mad. Mad I tell you.

I'm possibly the least contentious person anyone will ever meet, so I am jumping in with a few thoughts simply to answer a point of inquiry (I would be happy if Jo had cast other votes...I enter the challenges for fun and experience, not in the hope of winning). So, two things...it says in the challenge rules for the 300 worder that a person may vote for up to three stories (the implication being, I think, that casting three votes is not obligatory). And second, in any real-world competition I know of abstaining on a ballot in some categories will voting in others is allowed, even recommended when a person is not sure of how to vote...the Academy Awards...MVP awards in every sports league I know of...the Emmy Awards...BAFTA. I'm not saying any of this in a self-serving way, I promise...I'm writing, again, just to answer an inquiry.

And thank you for the shortlisting, Holland! It's truly appreciated, CC

ps--copied from the voting poll thread: "Each member may vote for up to THREE stories..."

I agree with Cat's Cradle, this isn't the Olympic Games where each judge on the panel is required to vote. For me, the point of the challenge is not the prestige of winning or the fabulous prize. I enjoy disciplining myself to the limit of 300 words. I enjoy stretching my brain into new areas using the visual prompt. I enjoy seeing what others came up with, from looking at the same image, and I delight in how different we all are!

I'd like to add that it's very heart-warming to be mentioned on so many short lists. I've hesitated to post my own, but since everyone else is doing it...

Driving into Darkness *
Heads Over Heels
The Ace
Skylarking
Planes & Trains
Dragon Keeper
Untitled by kerry B. *
The Return
Things Die Hard
Last Stand *

Last edited:
Thank you for all the mentions and shortlists, everyone. Much appreciated. :D

If I am allowed*, can I put a plug in here for the 100 word anonymous across in Workshops? If anyone has voted for the 300, submitted their 75, and is now cracking their knuckles waiting for the next one, why not have a dander over** for a look-see here? :sneaky:

*Moderators, please remove if not allowed! :cautious:

**Norn Irish speak. No translation supplied. Google it! :p

Right then, don't start work till 7.30 tonight so thought I should read all the entries and vote.

But first, my thanks to Ashleyene for the review I missed earlier on, and for the mentions my story got from johnnyjet, SB, Moonbat, Venusian Broon & Titaniumti. Extra special red Bounty thanks to Glen, Chrispenycate, Juliana & littlestar for the votes.

I could quite happily have used 8 votes this month but in the end I chose my favourites and votes*.

Jo
Juliana*
Starbeast
Victoria
ratsy*
TitaniumTi
Perp*
Mosaix
Venusian Broon
Chrispy
TJ
TDZ
Ursa

I think I said earlier what a treat it has been to see what you've done with this picture, I guiltily admit that Jo may have been reading my diary of that day in Grenada ;)

pH

Thank you to BluePhoenix for the vote! I'm glad you liked it.

I had a lot of fun with this month's entry, and Phyre I am extremely happy to get your vote this month. It is your picture and that means a lot, since I have had a mostly lackluster response to my entry with almost no listings. (which is okay...it happens sometimes!)

I have been so busy with travelling, yard work, a sick dog, and countless other things that I haven't yet read and voted. I will get to it in the next day or two.

Lots of nice ideas and twists and arriving at a short list was not easy, but I did - no reflection on those not mentioned.

A great start by Cat, well done - free from milking - free from slavery! My cornflakes will never be the same again.
Well done Ratsy, a nice ending.
Ghostly by Perp, cool.
I liked JohnnyJet too and a last flight of old friends.
Mosaix was very novel.
The Cute Bear burning unbelievers - well done.

Jastius managed to bring the all important goats into the plot and in a very clever way - a vote.
Judge, a clear vote winner with a very different idea that worked for me.
Tywin, nicely set up and managed and enough to get you my third vote.

Later everyone.