Discussion -- April 2015 75-word Writing Challenge

Metafuction ... ok ... when I said weird I didn't mean it :)

Narrative involving a parady or satire of well known literature types in a lighthearted or comedic manner?

Didn't we just do this in comedic space opera? Is this an April fools?

Luigin you've got the dark lord genre down with this..

So we get to tell a story....

That's just a tiny corner of the territory metafiction covers. Just one of many possibilities, which need not involve satire, parody, or any other sort of humor. Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metafiction

(And nope. It's not even April Fool's Day yet here in the US. TDZ would have been several hours early or 364 days late if that's what she had in mind when she posted the new challenge for CC!)

Here's one definition, though there are plenty more out there:

fiction in which the author self-consciously alludes to the artificiality or literariness of a work by parodying or departing from novelistic conventions (especially naturalism) and traditional narrative techniques.

Basically, a story that knows it's a story, and tells us so. It doesn't have to be comedic or light-hearted, by any means.

Thanks, Teresa! It's not often (never) that I'm struck with inspiration so early! Although I do like to get my seventy-five out of the way early in three hundred months. Now to procrastinate for, oh, twenty-nine or so days over that one...

Terrific first story, Cul! Also...I'm sorry everyone! I was worried my genre/theme pairing might be unpopular, or seem excessively difficult. I was being selfish...we have such terrific writers here in the challenges, and I honestly wanted to read the stories that could be written from these choices--I hoped everyone would be thrilled with the results inspired by this imagination-expanding genre. I hope people will give this a shot. I think this could turn out to be a very good month for stories. I'll have mine posted later today, I think. But again, wonderful start, Cul!

Thanks, CC! It is definitely a challenging... uh... challenge, but if it sparked my torpid imagination then no one else should have any trouble at all!

It also includes things like your Russian writers, plays like the rhinoceros. Movies that were books like everything is illuminated. (Actually everything is illuminated tried a little too hard with this...) Gulliver's travels, northanger abbey, the illiad, ullyses.. Slaughterhouse five.. The English patient.. Canterbury tales, tales from the crypt, night of the living dead, the evil dead, Scrooged, ferris buellers day off, 1984, the once and future king, don juan demarco, shrek, stranger then fiction, wreck it Ralph, Ella enchanted, the hobbit the book, the illustrated man, Fahrenheit 451, dandelion wine, the box trolls, inkspell, jungle book, David eddings belgarion and. Mallorean. Avatar. A knights tale, a christmas carol, the night before christmas, And Georgette Hayworth novels...

I like these. But sometimes wish that they were five hundred words long instead of seventy five.
For the past five or six challenges I have ended up with a fifteen hundred word short.

Last edited:
Luigin you've got the dark lord genre down with this..

Glad you think so :) I'm genuinely stumped. I've got one idea that matches the conflict part but not sure if it could be really called metafiction.

Mwuhahahahahahahahahahahahah ... sorry don't know what came over me.

Inspiration hit whilst playing World of Tanks :)

Well, I'm in...and I see Luiglin's in as well--nice one, L! :) Happy now to shift over to the 300 worder! Good luck, all! CC

ps--Bowler, NO Ray Gunning of my feet! :)

Bowler1 ... can I borrow the Ray Gun for another month please?

Bowler1 ... can I borrow the Ray Gun for another month please?

Too right you can (cough... feet, cough... feet), I'm sure you can make good use of it.

I've posted. Is there a prize for being in the 75 word challenge the most, by my count this is the 2nd time I've found my self the hero of the storyline (where I rightly belong too).

Last edited:
Hey, you guys. Just a reminder that this is a family friendly site. Please work within those boundaries when you write and post your stories.

(and just to be clear, if we think your story is pushing the family friendliness boundaries, we'll send you a message directly, not leave you to worry if the message in the thread is aimed at you -- I didn't mean to alarm people. Sorry!

As you were.)

Last edited: