Discussion 75 Word Challenge -- MARCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not one who normally enters these challenges, but an image came to me.

Always good to have a challenge that requires some thought regarding genre or subject - to have both even more so!

Can I recommend Angela Carter's 'Wise Children' as an exceptional novel , particularly for those who enjoy vaudeville, Shakespeare or (indeed) magical realism. Quite short in length, but immensely satisfying.

Man Springs, I think you take pride in being the first to post. It must be torture getting through the entire month for the next contest.

:eek:. I just know if I don't get it out of the way I'll second, and third,and fourth guess and then never post. Last month it took a couple of days to get the idea, but I still posted pretty quick when I did. Plus, once posted I can relax and enjoy all the other entries, which I am. :) (
I also try to use it as an exercise each month, this month was grasping a colloquial dialect, cos Bob's was so good last month, so there is an element where I self limit myself... its the second guessing again. :eek:)

So, we've had a hawthorn bush, and a leprechaun; no pressure Alc. ;)

Yup, my first half-idea involved the little folk. After yours, I thought "Nah". After Bowler's, I thought "Definitely nah." Only if I'm desperate now. Which is likely.

The challenge is certainly a bit different this month, it requires a bit of thought, methinks. I really like it though.

Having the day off, I perused Wiki which gave me a list of Magical Realism books. This is not the genre I thought it was; it's looking scarily literary. (or it's "Fantasy for Spanish speaking authors" according to Gene Wolfe).

One library trip later and I've got The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie to read. See y'all in 6 months.

I find this particular genre is going to be very difficult for me. I have written a few pieces in this area, but cutting it to only 75 words will be torture. Not to mention The Uncanny side of it.

I must refrain from reading other entries for inspiration, and come up with it entirely on my own.

My mind was blank and then a few hours ago I had an idea, which I've been dithering over on-and-off ever since.

I usually spend too much dithering. This time I decided not to.

Yup, my first half-idea involved the little folk. After yours, I thought "Nah". After Bowler's, I thought "Definitely nah." Only if I'm desperate now. Which is likely.

One library trip later and I've got The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie to read. See y'all in 6 months.

You were right, poteen... it might make Rushdie easier.... ;)

I did think of trad. faeries ( I now have a lovely story written about them) but avoided them - but I didn't want to ignore the little people.... they're watching us, and we're stuck in faerie land with them.... :D (would you cut down a hawthorn tree? I wouldn't, and I'm not superstitious, but there are limits of my laissez-faire...)

Okay, I'm in. This one had me puzzled and I was giving serious consideration to slinking away unnoticed. Then I read some of the stories (and they're all great, so far, I might add), and it inspired me to throw my hat in the ring. I'm not entirely sure it's as good as it could have been, but the genre had me begging for mercy from the outset. So I thought to heck with it, and posted something anyway - it's the taking part that counts... Well, that's what I keep telling myself, anyway. :rolleyes:

Well, I got something in. It's not exactly what I wanted from it-would have done far better as a 300 entry-but it's the general gist of what I wanted to put down.

And as far as I know, there is no lake of the name I used anywhere in Oregon. I imagine there could be, but I was making the name up, and I'm pretty well sure that there is no lake of such a name in the area I chose to use.

The entries are rapidly piling in and they're good. Good theme and choice of genre, Teresa. Only thing is, I suspect it's going to be tough to choose. AGAIN.:)

Some good entries all round. I'm liking the different tones.

I too was unsure about posting, but the imagery just popped in there - Whether I was able to convey that 75 words is another question.

Howdy,
I wanted to title my story after the Elvis tune in G I Blues, I thought it was "Musi Din", couldn't find anything. Being as how English is difficult for me and I have no second language all I could find was "Wooden Heart". Any help ?
Thanks,
Bob

I'm afraid I took the easy way out and consulted Wikipedia for a definition of 'The Uncanny'. Is there a special book of Awkward Subjects that gets passed from one winner to the next, just to confound us?

Status
Not open for further replies.