Discussion -- June 2011 Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Supporter
A new thread -- though if we transfer earlier posts over, this will be buried somewhere down the first page...

And in view of the thoughts undoubtedly being directed at Chris at this moment, well, you're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din...

Re: DISCUSSION the 75 Word Challenge JUNE 2011

Hey, it's supposed to be a challenge. This should be. I certainly have no idea if I can do it (truly, I've not got anything preprepared, and have not yet decided which of his many styles to attempt to emulate). But I've watched how people here rise to these difficulties, oh my best beloved, and do not believe this will slow them for long…

Besides, there were people starting to think of me as nice.

Well, I could hardly say "braver girl than I am, Gunga Din" could I, Gary? And "person" doesn't scan.

*starts thinking of stories: How the Camel got his Lump of Sugar... The Crab that played with the Tea... The Cat that walked by Himself to the Cafeteria *

A very interesting mix of subject and theme (or should that be writing style) it'll be even harder to vote on the stories for their Kipling-esque-ness.

I have just paid a whopping 69p for his complete works on Kindle. I probably could have got it free somewhere, but when it is less than £1 I find it might not be worth the time spent searching.

Ok, so now to read 500+ kipling stories (as if!) before creating a 75 word kipling styled story on nourishment. Should be a sinch. :)

Thanks Chris! ;) :)

Howdy,
Can I watch the movie instead?

I think I'll be taking myself down to my local second-hand book store over the next few days! It's been years since I read any Kipling. Even if I (God forbid!) draw a complete blank this month, at least I've got a good excuse for a new book :D

Just to confirm if anyone comes straight here and not to the old May Discussion thread (that's if we don't transfer the posts, whereupon this parenthesis is a bit stupid anyway... where did I get to?) -- the Challenge thread itself is locked until June actually starts. Somewhere.

And for those who are impatient, another If:

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting...

Chris you.... I knew this was going to be a tricky one, but...

If only it had been something else
If only I had ever read anything by Kipling
If only it was the Kipling who made cakes
If only it did not hurt my brain to think about it
If I could do this well...
I'd be a man my son.

I think I'll take my inspiration from The Man Who Would Be King. Specifically, I might get some ideas as to what to do with someone who oversteps the mark after being elevated to a position of power ...

I'm going on holiday for a month.

The only Kipling I know makes exceedingly good cakes.:)

...and to complete your feeling of omniscience, TJ:

This should be a piece of cake. Let the batter man (or woman) win....

However, with only 75 words available, I doubt there'll be much filling (and this being a family-friendly site, the entries can't be too fruity.)

Now "Nourishment"....that would be easy. I could easily deal with that in a number of ways.

But Kipling style? :( *sigh* All that comes to mind to me with Kipling now is The White Seal, maybe the FIRST Mowgli story, and Rikki Tikki Tavi.

None of which easily bring about thoughts of "nourishment". :( Oh dear. And seeing as next month is my birthday month and I'll be at a Jethro Tull concert in Eugene on my birthday, which is smack dab in the middle of the month, I'll probably lose a couple days or so with that.

Exactly Ursa, but to be serious for a mo.

We'll all have to rise to the occasion and hopefully there will be a good mixture of stories and poems.

Winning will be the icing on the cake:)

I expect we'll see a lot of "slice of life" entries this month.

Well , at least that's a crumb of comfort.

I don't know if I'll be able to do this one, honestly. If the Kipling style was optional then perhaps, but, I'm definitely not familiar enough with his work to actually come up with anything. It's been years since I've read anything of his and then I read only very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.