What Game Are You Currently Playing?

Just un-installed Red Dead Redemtion II

After 8 hours of play I had lived 8 hours in the game. To finish it would have taken the rest of the time I have left. It was like living the old west in real time.

Got desperate and bought/downloaded

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

from the playstation store - a bargain at £2.39 - special offer.

With my new 500GB external drive it laughs at the 15GB the game takes up.

Had a bit of a saving bug with Pathfinder the other day. Hope that can be resolved.

Been playing a new Stellaris game as the Schnapp Republic. Peaceful again, want to try and see how robots etc work. Then I need to either go for an aggressive empire or up the difficulty.

Recently played through the latest FF14 patch, which basically brings the Shadowbringers storyline to an end. What an absolutely amazing story. Loved it, my favourite game narrative (although it is the culmination of the whole huge storyline that I've been playing for over five years now, so it's going to have quite the impact. And still more to come with more expansions!)

In the meantime, I've got into some older content for the first time, something called Eureka, which is basically moving through four increasingly difficult areas, grinding your way up from level 1 to 60, no quest markers, incredibly tough mobs that can one-shot you if you're still low level (and you lose a heckton of exp if you aren't rezzed by another player) and just farming constantly for items. It was originally created for the level 70 relic weapon (big fancy weapons that involve a lot of time and effort to upgrade) but the reason why I've been going through this absolute hell for the past few weeks...is for some glowy armour. And that's honestly it. For the glow. It's not useful armour in any other way because it's too low levelled now. I just want dat glow.

If only I could put this much effort into real life goals.

Vermintide 2.

Like a lot of sequels, this is like the first game with everything turned up to 11. This time around, the ratmen (one of Games Workshop's best inventions) have been joined by a grunting horde of Chaos worshippers. There are a huge number of ways to alter your character, some of which are rather bewildering, but which lend a nice element of role-playing to the hacking and shooting. It's mind-bogglingly violent, at points almost incomprehensibly so. Even the characters are the same, but more: the elf is more obnoxious, the dwarf more a comedy Yorkshireman, and the wizard (my favourite) sounds like a grand dame of the theatre complaining about service in a fancy restaurant. Entertaining.

I've been enjoying some great multiplayer games recently.

Death Squared is an outstanding co-op puzzle game. The voiceover is loud and can get annoying, but thankfully it can be turned down. Otherwise, it's superb. Communication is essential, unless you want to make the game super-difficult.

Hidden in Plain Sight doesn't look like much, but is likely the most fun multiplayer game I've played since Super Bomberman 2 in the 90s. It's also a game pretty much anyone can play.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is probably the best version of Mario Kart, but considering I struggle to see what's going on anyway, I find the ink (covering the screen) weapon very frustrating. Which makes the game fall short of greatness for me.

Last edited:
Played quite a lot lately, because my internet broke (wiring problem).

Just hit level 10 in Pathfinder Kingmaker with my elven wizard Lauremir. I'm not saying things are going badly, but quite a lot of the residents in my capital are now dead. Or, as I like to think of it, they have embraced inevitable destiny and are now free of worries.

Lazily playing through Stellaris again. Going to have to bump up the difficulty as this is currently too easy, but good to get to grips with the mechanics. The Schnapp Republic has the entire galaxy, save the Fallen Empire, either in its federation, vassalised, or vassalised to another federation member.

World of Tanks because I find the strategies and tactics interesting (e.g., using high-speed medium tanks to flank while heavier ones act as bruisers, with scouts either passively spotting and doing hit-and-runs or operating in swarms to detect and harass slower heavy tanks). Also, as I grow older I begin to experience more difficulty with first-person shooters.

Currently playing Betrapped. It’s a murder mystery puzzle game kind of like minesweeper. Quite addictive:)

Rimworld. There's something about overcoming huge problems for your pawns and making dubious ethical decisions that makes this 'game' so morish.

I recently read an article reporting on research into watching nature programmes on TV and how it can help combat negative thoughts. It then went on to explain that the use of VR for immersing a person in nature gave an even greater benefit. With this in mind, I can’t help wondering how VR Star Wars would stack up....maybe even greater positive benefit?

As for me, currently playing Jagged Alliance 2. It’s a bit fiddly but I canforgive it that because it only cost me a couple of quid.

That's an interesting consideration. Lots of games now have user-friendly options to help those with colourblindness etc, so there may have been work done on this.

I'm still playing Stellaris.

The Vines of Eternity have vassalised most of the Galaxy now, but I do have some pesky raiders who had the temerity to intrude upon my space once. Fortunately, I'm researching titans and will soon teach them the error of their ways. After that, just a couple of pushover empires and then the knotty problem of conquering a Fallen Empire.

Foxbat, more menacing, I'd say.

I just annihilated the plunderers more easily than expected, which was a pleasant surprise (although not for them). Currently own (including vassals) about two-thirds of the galaxy.

I now have a micro-empire I'm amusing myself with by leaving in peace until the very end, a weak materialist empire that will kneel before my crusade, and an empire that has decent technology but is too weak to survive without being my vassal.

And then... the Fallen Empire. Mwahaha!

I just annihilated the plunderers more easily than expected, which was a pleasant surprise (although not for them). Currently own (including vassals) about two-thirds of the galaxy.

And that's where I normally get too bored to continue. Especially if I have all the techs researched and it's just a slow crawl to victory.

Right now I've just been playing about in Rimworld, and that usually keeps me interested for a little longer before my colony becomes too powerful to assail (and I don't play on crazy difficulties because I just find them annoying).

I'm still pretty new to Stellaris, and encountering some new Spiritualist events, so I'm still enjoying this.

I've also started a new, more peaceful playthrough at a higher difficulty.