Cthulhu Mythos inspired board/card games

Fried Egg

I'm not entirely sure this is a good place to post such a thread but as someone who has read most of Lovecraft's stories and is also plays a lot of board and card games, I'm well aware that there are many games that feature the setting of the Cthulhu Mythos. But, in my experience so far, that most games inspired by Lovecraft's work pretty starkly fail to capture the real essence and point of his stories.

There will often be a lot of action and fighting involved and through solving mysteries and fighting battles, the Elder gods can be overcome. Now I'm not necessarily saying that they are bad games, only that I feel that they are somewhat perverting Lovecraft's vision. Just take a look at some of these box covers:

pic3122349.jpg

pic1872452.jpg

pic6230642.jpg

pic162995.jpg

One a more positive note, one game I thought did capture the feel of the stories a lot better was 'Arkham Noir: Case #1 - The Witch Cult Murders' (which is actually the first of a series of games). Largely because there was no fighting and the cards are just these wonderfully drawn images leaving the player to fill in the blanks as to what is actually happening (which is invariably superior to a narrative imposed by the game designer):

pic4226406.jpg

So I don't know if there are any other people around here who share a mutual lover of Lovecraft's stories and board games but how do you feel about it and do you know of any other games out there that are more in tune with the true spirit of Lovecraft's work?

There is a Pikachu Cthulhu mash-up game out there. It's a lot of fun and very very very silly.

I've played Arkham Horror, which was fun but didn't really capture the feel of the books that well. A friend had a game called Mansions of Madness which was very lavish and had its own app. It was good in itself, but again a bit too action-packed to fit the stories.

There's a game called Mythos Tales which I liked a lot. The players have to investigate a mystery in Arkham, and are scored on how well their investigation goes. It's a bit like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, and is very similar to Sherlock Holmes Consulting Decective, which is also very good.