Enders Game: The Movie

Leonardo

Child of the Internet
According to IMDB, the Ender's Game movie is to be released in '08.

Who would make for good actors? Animation or film? Will it suck? Will it be another Harry Potter?

Discuss.

I saw that as well, Leonardo, and unfortunately it's been up there for some time, the year just keeps going up. Still, it would be awesome if they did it. *sighs*
P.S. I really hope they don't make it animation; anytime someone says that I keep flashing back to the time I had the misfortune to be forced to sit through the abominable animated version of LOTR. One of the worst experiences I've ever had

Last edited:
To be fair, the animated LOTR was done in 1978. The animation standards and possibilities are at a completely different level altogether, today. And I partly agree that animation wouldn't do it justice. But I also partly shirk the idea of 12 child actors in one movie. How could that possibly be good?

I hadn't given that much thought but just the memory of that movie gives me an uneasy feeling whenever somebody mentions an animated movie.

However, a computer animated version might not be so bad.

The last update on Card's website was almost a year ago. At that time they were still working on the script, and not yet to the point of even talking about casting or filming schedules.

Well, alot can happen in a year or two. When both Card and Warner are at a full agreement, the project might happen in no time. Not that I trust IMDB for estimates, I'm just a natural optimist.

Let me ask another question though, in hopes of kickstarting some debate. In the event that the movie is a hit, and people love it. Do you think it will have sequels? Is it possible to filmatize books like Xenocide without screwing with it?

I think that the way they would go would be to follow the shadow series (Bean). I think that the other books have too much philosophy and not enough action for Hollywood.

I think animation would do it more justice than a movie with that many kid actors, unless they made some changes to it such as bump up the ages some and gave the clothes in all, or most of the scenes.

the live action would be better in terms of quality, but in terms of the battle room it would look too wirey even with todays film tech. animation would do better there.

i think that if they made a movie that it would be trimmed down a lot just becuase of all the nude scenes and the bloody bathroom fight with (i forgot his name).

i also think that hollywood would go a lot farther with beans side of the story because it is more down to earth... LOL.

Ender's Game seems almost impossible to do as an Hollywood movie.

They have to have a voice over when he thinks. Thats the most interesting. How he thinks and reacts to everything.

Last i checked, Card wanted to combined Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow into this one film. Personally, i hope they animate it that way we don't have some child actor(s) ruin it by not fitting the look/role. With animation, there's complete control ;)

According to IMDB, the Ender's Game movie is to be released in '08.

Who would make for good actors? Animation or film? Will it suck? Will it be another Harry Potter?

Discuss.

I hope it'll be Film. With the kind of technology we have now, it would be very unfair to the fans if they'd make an animated movie of Ender's Game. If they can make a live action film of Lord of the Rings, I see no reason why they can't make one for Ender.

Plus, the director is Wolfgang Peterson. Same guy who directed Troy, Poseidon, the Perfect Storm and others, I think he can handle a live film version of Ender's Game.

I don't think it'll be another Harry Potter, because Ender is no Harry, and the story is too different. True that there'll always be female fans - you can't control that - but that is not what worries me about this book. What worries me is the amount of changes that need to be done to adapt this book into film without compromising the integrity of the story as well as keeping the plotline so that it'll be viewable by more people. I don't think it can be cut down to at least a PG 15 rating without hurting the plotline. :(

So i dont konw if anyone has seen the previews of the Beowulf movie coming out in november but if the ender's game/shadow movie turns out to be that kind of animation i wouldn't mind but i would still prefer a live action movie. Also child actors i think are getting better so that doesnt worry me as much as it would have. Plus the graphics in live action movies arent all that bad in the future when we look back we'll know how much they sucked but I was satisfied with how the lotr and new star wars movies turned out.

OSC was , and has been from the very start, very clear about how the movie would come to fruition. He has a masterpiece on his hands, and does not want it completely spoiled by Hollywood. If you get the chance to listen to some of his personal interviews, do it. He has held so many restrictions to keep the movies as authentic to his own story line as possible. Many movie directors have wanted to age Ender to at least sixteen, and to give Ender a romance line, but OSC said "NO" every time. A child MUST play the part of Ender, and he MUST NOT have a romantic under-notion. I've got the books in paperback, as well as listened in audible form, and I have been following OSC for years. I really don't think after all I've heard from him that he'd sell out to Hollywood. He'd rather have NO movie, than a RUINED movie that completely deviates from the authentic storyline...

Really just an afterthought... but the movie, "Ender's Game" will also incorporate, "Ender's Shadow". OSC was very optimistic at last discussion of the movie.

A simple way around Ender's internal monologues, like when he sums up people and situations.

Would be to have faceless(not literally) scientists watching Ender's progress through training and commentating/talking about it to each other coming to the same conclusions as Ender.

Its practically already there at the start of each chapter anyway.