What was the last movie you saw?

Season 2 of the Expanse. It is as good a S.F. series as I've ever seen. The special FX are absolutely state of the art. At least as far as I can tell. The story has really reeled me in. I'm off to Season 3 ASAP.

Rewatched Paul Verhoeven's Robocop from 1987.
Every bit as visceral and enjoyable as the first time I saw it. I love the pre-cgi special effect [you can hardly see the strings!]
Okay some of the technology we see looks a bit clunky but I don't think it looks or feels dated for that.
The acting is good tonally. I like how well Peter Weller manages to be believable as a man-machine, letting neither side dominate..

Robocop is still a really good film. Peter Weller is great, and so is Nancy Allen. Kurtwood Smith must be one of the great screen villains.

I watched Spiderman: Into The Spider-Verse last night and was very impressed. It's definitely not my usual sort of thing, but is like what would happen if Pixar made a Marvel film. It ticks the usual superhero boxes but does some interesting things along the way and gets progressively madder and more enjoyable. One of the best superhero films that I've seen.

The Three Musketeers 1973

Robert Lester's movie is for me the most authentic and the best adaption of Dumas's novel. The cast is inspired, the cinematography excellent and the fight scenes were and still are some of the best sword fights ever filmed.

The script(by George McDonald Fraser) is beyond reproach. Snappy and delivered with aplomb by the cast.

Unfortunately they do not make movies like this and it's sequel anymore.

Anna and the Apocalypse. Vaguely amusing British Zombie musical. (Yes, you read that right.)

Fanboys. Not as funny as I’d hoped it would be. Surprised to see that the screenplay was written by Ernest Cline Of Ready Player One fame.

Courtesy of YouTube, I have started watching the obscure American anthology series Ghost Story, which changed its name to Circle of Fear (and lost Sebastian Cabot as its Rod Serling style host) half way through its very short run (1972/1973). The pilot episode, "The New House," was pretty typical spooky stuff. A young married couple expecting a child move into a house built on the site of a gallows, where a woman was executed a couple of centuries ago. Of course, she comes back to haunt the place. I'll admit the ending is pretty chilling. Overall, not bad.

Last edited:
It was too late to start a new show last night, so i watch Brittany Runs a Marathon. I thought it was just going to be a female led Run, Fatboy, Run. But i like Jillian Bell, so i thought i's give it a go. Fortunately, it was nothing like it and was a very enjoyable movie. A couple of LOL moments and it turns out it was based on a true story. Worth watching when you find you have a couple of hours to kill.

The Walking Deceased. Everything in my body told me to not watch it, but i ignored it. I was in the mood for a Zombie movie, but nothing too heavy. I turned it off after 15 minute. The way the main character kept shouting "Carl" was funny at first but that was it. Next time rod, listen to your not inconsiderable gut.

Outside The Wire (2021): In the near future, a war has started in Eastern Europe, which seems to be full of angry white guys in old jumpers with AK47s. Two US peacekeepers, a disgraced drone pilot and a prototype android, go on a mission into enemy territory to capture a box of Soviet nuclear codes. Damson Idris is decent as the hero but it never really comes together: the android stuff is unconvincing, and despite some cool moments (especially a shootout between US and Russian robot soldiers) it doesn't really know if it's a serious film about why wars start or a fun SF remake of Training Day. Not great.

Finally watched Deadpool 2. I love how he often breaks the fourth wall and cracks jokes constantly. My favorite Marvel vigilante/assassin.

Alone (2020) - A fairly standard "woman abducted by crazy in the woods, before she tries to escape" movie. If you are in to horror/pyscho movies (like me) you will probably find it entertaining, but not groundbreaking.

Also watched a couple of fantasy movies that are more for children really, but they were pretty good:
Pete's Dragon (2016). One of those fantasy movies about a creature that shouldn't be revealed to the general human population. Pleasant movie.
Bridge to Terabithia (2007). As much a tween friendship/romance as fantasy, but was a good film.

Watched "The Fellowship of The Ring" again. First time in a few years. Other than maybe the running around in the mines of Moria this is still a great film. Has more good storytelling than some of the other LOTR and Hobbit films.

WOMAN WANTED (1935) Ann Gray (Maureen O'Sullivan) has just been convicted of murder, & while being transported from the courthouse to the prison, the bad guys break her free. They seem to believe that she knows where the thing is. Sorry, I forgot what it is they seek. Being unaware of the intentional traffic incident, she runs away, leaps onto the running board of Tony Baxter (Joel McCrea)'s car, and convinces him that she just needed a ride.

So, the cops want her, as do the crooks. Eventually it is revealed to the hero that she is a fugitive, etc., and as he just happens to be a lawyer, he intends to defend her, but she prefers to remain free.

A happy romantic ending.

The Hunger (1983) dir. Tony Scott; starring Catherine Deneuve, Susan Sarandon, David Bowie

1980s vampire movie, which I seem to recall doing pretty good box-office for something so determinedly arty -- the vampire lair has a piano and bass which Deneuve and Bowie play respectively, and lots of statuary and paintings (all old), even more curtains blown by winds with no apparent source, and noir lighting effects (essentially dark rooms with blocks of light that the actors mostly avoid entering and which are most likely to include flowing curtains). Vampire dialog is sparse, oblique and heavy with the ennui of long life, or insufficient authorial thought. Deneuve is head vamp, Bowie the latest of her lovers who, like previous her "children" afflicted with rapid aging in spite of blood-drinking. Apparently Deneuve is immune to the disease, but her "children" tend to go just so long before instant old. I remember liking this way back when but Rotten Tomatoes sums it up concisely and accurately as, "stylish yet hollow".

There's mention of a Dr. Schrader which I think is a nod toward Paul Schrader, writer/director of the previous year's The Cat People which also merged mythical critters with sex drive.

Notable for some of the people who pop up in small, thankless roles: Dan Hedaya (Blood Simple), Ann Magnuson (one of the first victims), Willem Dafoe, John Pankow (notable for tv show, Mad About You), Sophie Ward.

FAHRENHEIT 451 - 1966. At times it is mind-blowing how relevant this film is to now. It manages to avoid coming across as pretentious and partisan--the firemen are ridiculous but not evil, and their fascist structure is countered by the matriarchal television host who preaches about "equality and tolerance." People take pills to sedate themselves--that wasn't new in 1966 but seems much more relevant now. The widescreen tv with interactive reality programming, the loss of connection to society, as if everyone is just a cog in the machinery. There is even one shot where a copy of A Journal of the Plague Year is burning, and you can see the cover displays someone's face, with a mask over the mouth!

FAHRENHEIT 451 - 1966. At times it is mind-blowing how relevant this film is to now. It manages to avoid coming across as pretentious and partisan--the firemen are ridiculous but not evil, and their fascist structure is countered by the matriarchal television host who preaches about "equality and tolerance." People take pills to sedate themselves--that wasn't new in 1966 but seems much more relevant now. The widescreen tv with interactive reality programming, the loss of connection to society, as if everyone is just a cog in the machinery.
I watched a remake a while back. I wish I hadn't!

Anyone like THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD with Richard Burton?

FAHRENHEIT 451 - 1966. At times it is mind-blowing how relevant this film is to now. It manages to avoid coming across as pretentious and partisan--the firemen are ridiculous but not evil, and their fascist structure is countered by the matriarchal television host who preaches about "equality and tolerance." People take pills to sedate themselves--that wasn't new in 1966 but seems much more relevant now. The widescreen tv with interactive reality programming, the loss of connection to society, as if everyone is just a cog in the machinery. There is even one shot where a copy of A Journal of the Plague Year is burning, and you can see the cover displays someone's face, with a mask over the mouth!

There are 2 actors common to both films: Oskar Werner and Cyril Cusack. I have both of these on DVD.

Anton Diffring was the go-to-guy for playing sneaky military officers. As soon as I saw him--I knew how he would be.

Another scene where the housewives show up--and he reads to them. They react like Karens!