What was the last movie you saw?

THE FURY OF ACHILLES - 1962 --Although Gordon Mitchell isn't who I would think of as Achilles, he does look intimidating in his helmet and red cape and they give him some decent lines about how hard it is to be semi-immortal. His reluctant concubine tries stabbing him with a knife and it sparks and breaks off. He then takes the broken blade handle and bends it into a stylish arm bracelet for her! Not really the Homer version but the overall theme of how everyone is trapped by Fate is woven into it (along with various unrelated stock footage war scenes).I would say this is more faithful in a basic way when compared to the 2004 version although Helen never appears.

Last edited:
THE FURY OF ACHILLES - 1962 --Although Gordon Mitchell isn't who I would think of as Achilles, he does look intimidating in his helmet and red cape and they give him some decent lines about how hard it is to be semi-immortal. His reluctant concubine tries stabbing him with a knife and it sparks and breaks off. He then takes the broken blade handle and bends it into a stylish arm bracelet for her! Not really the Homer version but the overall theme of how everyone is trapped by Fate is woven into it (along with various unrelated stock footage war scenes).I would say this is more faithful in a basic way when compared to the 2004 version although Helen never appears.
This is the movie, man Greek mythology is the best!!

BLIND MAN - 1971 - Adventures of a sightless gunfighter and his seeing eye horse on the path to rescue 50 mail-order brides that were kidnapped by bandits. They are led by a mean dude with an even meaner sister and Ringo Starr as his brother. Comical dialogue matched by some extreme violence and also memorable sequences such as one where the 50 brides are running through sand dunes with bandits in pursuit.
When the bandit sister is finally apprehended, the brides take her into their cell and beat her up until blind man stops them--saying "now now girls--that's enough. I still need the b---h."

SECRET NIGHT CALLER - 1975 - Robert Reed is a mild-mannered IRS accountant who won't accept bribes from desperate bar owners with white hair like Thayer David--but he will make obscene calls (though we never hear them). He goes to a shrink for help. Ultimately not a very suspenseful story (no body count) but strangely compelling for its character study of a man not named Brady.

FATAL GAMES -1984 - Cheap and often slow slasher film thanks to the novelty of the cast being decent athletes instead of actors (Teal Roberts sure can swim though). A mysterious figure in a track suit is stabbing the student body with a javelin. When the only other name of note besides Sally Kirkland is the gal who played a klingon in Star Trek V you know you are in trouble. The identity of the killer and motive is revealed when an old newspaper article is left inexplicably on the floor of a nurse's station with a picture of someone familiar and the headline: "Sex Change Operation Doesn't Work."

The Alamo, first time since decades ago. It looked great on my big screen (approx 10ft wide and 5ft high ish) and I had forgotten most of it. When I was a kid I was into John Wayne films and all the classic westerns, so this was nice nostalgia.
I realised while watching that it’s part of a subgenre I like, along with Zulu & The 300 Spartans, of early 60s films depicting against-massive-odds battles from history.
I wonder if there are others like that?

The Alamo, first time since decades ago. It looked great on my big screen (approx 10ft wide and 5ft high ish) and I had forgotten most of it. When I was a kid I was into John Wayne films and all the classic westerns, so this was nice nostalgia.
I realised while watching that it’s part of a subgenre I like, along with Zulu & The 300 Spartans, of early 60s films depicting against-massive-odds battles from history.
I wonder if there are others like that?

Spartacus?

Inside Out 2 (2024): I saw this at the nearby drive-thru movie place. Now this is a good kids' movie (unlike IF). The characters are funny, and the dramatic parts are relatable. The main character is now a little older. Anxiety, Embarrassment, Envy, and Ennui are the new emotional manifestations who decide they don't need the originals, with Anxiety unwittingly polluting their host's thoughts. No villains here, just misunderstandings. Loved it.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes was scheduled to play after, but some of the family didn't want to stay, so we all left. I will see it eventually though.

Inferno (1980) dir. Dario Argento; starring Leigh McCloskey, Irene Miracle, Eleonora Giorgi, Daria Nicolodi, Alida Valli

Argento's next film after Susperia, they form the first two parts of the Three Mothers trilogy: Susperia deals with Mater Susperiorum, this deals with Mater Tenebrarum, and Mater Lachrymarum is the subject of Mother of Tears, which came out in 2007. In simplest terms, the trilogy posits that witches live among us.

In Inferno, Rose (Miracle) stumbles on the origins of her NYC apartment house in an old book. She drags her brother Mark (McCloskey) back from Italy, where he was studying musicology, to help her. By the time he arrives, she's disappeared. The viewer knows she's dead; he starts investigating, getting some oblique help from Rose's friend Elise (Nicolodi).

Notable for a suspenseful underwater sequence, Inferno feels a bit less successful in what it’s trying for than Susperia. The plot is just a coat hanger for atmosphere, some provided by intricately staged murders (a couple rather grisly), but much of it provided by the contrast of film noir-ish settings lighted like film noir but including patterns (for instance, window casings) of vibrant red (there may be other colors, but the red stands out to me). At times Inferno achieves a Rosemary's Baby feel as the inhabitants appear to be something other than what they present, and the characters and viewers may share a sense of dislocation: Quick cuts suggest more than they show. The movie is successful in suggesting another world, or a substratum of our world, run by witches, coincides with our reality.

I wonder what it would be like to watch both movies, back to back.

Both Nicolodi and Valli were in Susperia and Nicolodi is listed as in Mother of Tears; she’s Argento’s ex-wife and a co-writer on some of his scripts.

CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER 1974 - I wish I could like this better but the promising concept is drained of life by the decision to have the characters sitting around a lot instead of doing actual vampire hunting.

Horror High.

It is about a nerd who swallows a science formula (by force) that he was giving to a guinea pig, which killed a cat in a lab for being near its cage.

The guy ends up getting payback against the bullying students and teachers. A black cop suspects him of doing it, so he follows him around, asking him a lot of questions.

YouTube sure has poor quality, however.

Saving Private Ryan (1998) The Military big shots realize the 3 of the 4 sons of a Midwest family were killed in action, and that the last son is somewhere in France, and could join his brothers at any moment. No mother should make such a terrible sacrifice. So they send a unit out to bring Pvt. Ryan home safely. When they finally find him, he refuses to leave his unit, charged with holding a certain bridge against an enemy attack.

Tense drama!

Stupid wiki page says nothing about the paper Mache Tiger built atop a T-34. Found the data on youtube. Good ol' Tank Museum.

As I recall, I 1st saw this in the theater, if so, I had the biggest bucket of popcorn & the largest cola, no ice, all sugar. Mmmmm, yummy! Now I worry about my blood sugar.

So, I could never have done that, to charge out of a landing craft into a hail of bullets. Many were killed in the boat immediately after the ramp opened. Like shooting fish in a barrel. More than intense! Words fail to adequately describe the horror of it. I recall reading [or whatever medium] Churchill being against the whole idea of a cross-channel invasion. He much preferred working their way up from Italy, having already done the landing at Anzio, etc. Likened it to attacking the tender underbelly of the continent. It was Stalin, who wanted the cross-channel invasion, perhaps because he wanted massive casualties among the Western Capitalists, since the USSR had suffered massive casualties itself. Never mind that Stalin was a mass-murderer himself.

Anyway, a film not to be missed! 10/10!

Recently viewed:
Big. Early Tom Hanks. Very light. Very charming.
That Thing That You Do. Later Tom Hanks. He wrote, directed, and appeared in it. Again. Light. Charming. A great period piece.
Blow Dry. An excellent film. With Alan Rickman and an supporting cast including:
Natasha Richardson, Rachael Griffiths, Rachael Leigh Cook, Josh Hartnett, Bill Nighy, Rosemary Harris & Heidi Klum. Although the support is excellent, they just add flavor to Rickman's performance. Watch for the sheep.
Dune II. Epic if a little overdone. Could have used more worms. You don't need me to talk about it.
All are readily available on streaming sources.

Panther Squad (1984) - it's been a while since I watched any films - let alone any bad films. My normal movie watching time in the evenings has been eaten up with other things like sharing the IT Crowd with geeky teenage son (not to mention our relentlessly working our way through everything ever produced with a Star Trek uniform in it) have got in the way. I've kind of missed watching films. - especially bad ones. Tonight I leapt into the deep end.

Panther Squad is a dreadful mess. Nominally it's a SF film. In some kind of near 1984 (in a non-Orwellian sense) future, the united governments of the world are about to usher in a new era of peace and harmony by launching an experiential one man 'space jeep' to test some new interstellar communication system. Anti-space pollution terrorists hijack the signals and bounce the communications back to earth. Undaunted NOON (the New Order of Nations) order the launch of the backup space jeep but the pilot is kidnapped. Send for The Panther Squad! Sybil Danning in dominatrix leathers -and a bunch of nubile young women in bikinis.

MV5BMzliYTg2MGMtMDdkMS00MmE2LTk0NzUtNGRmMTZjNWRmY2NlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

The one on the left in pink saved the shot this still is from by noticing one of the other girls had left their bag on the floor as they exited screen right to get on their bus. She stooped to pick it up as she went past. That saved a possible retake. (What am I saying? - this film didn't have a budget for retakes!)

Much ball kicking, half-hearted karate chopping, almost relevant stock footage, and atrocious editing later and the world is saved. Amazingly inept in just about every direction - but especially in the sound department. Some of the cast obviously had only the most rudimentary grasp of English and (even when reading their lines from pieces of paper) were near unintelligible at times; even before the wildly variable sound levels are taken into consideration. You know that bit in Young Frankenstein where Kenneth Mars' Inspector Kemp addresses the assembled mob in an accent so thick no one can understand him and he has to keep repeating himself? about 50% of this film was like that - but with no second chances.

Jess Franco was involved.

Last edited:
TRUNK TO CAIRO - 1966 - Audie Murphy is working as an Israeli spy by posing as a German scientist to stop George Sanders from making an nuke for Egypt. When he gets captured by some Islamists--they tell him "we hate German scientists, we hate Israeli spies..," and he says "But I'm an American," they reply: "we hate Americans the most."

It's an awful movie.

I watched the movie 'The Social Dilemma' last night. It's a pretty straightforward film with a low budget, but it made me think: we spend a lot of time online, often liking, commenting, and watching videos without realizing that everything we do can be tracked and have consequences.

Invaders from the Deep (1981)

Pseudo-movie made up from four episodes of the puppet TV show Stingray. Nifty puppetry, not so hot otherwise. Plot is pretty much just water-dwelling humanoids out to destroy us land dwellers. Watched as the first episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 when it was still a local series on station KTMA. Minimal riffing; it's almost just a movie host with skits between the film segments.