What was the last movie you saw?

Small Town Crime. (2017)

A washed up former cop becomes a PI and sets out to find the killer of two young women. Nothing new here but quite well done.

The Commuter (2018)

Standard Hollywood action movie with all the expected over the top special effects. Some may like this but I found it predictable.

Dimension 5 (1966)

Star Trek veterans Jeffrey Hunter and France Nuyen are secret agents in this slow, low-budget spy flick with a science fiction gimmick. It seems that the good guys have a time belt which allows their agents to zap themselves into the recent past or near future. Amazingly, very little is done with this super-powerful device, and most of the movie is just people talking. The minimal plot involves the bad guys bringing the components for a hydrogen bomb into the USA so they can blow up Los Angeles. Jeffrey Hunter plays Justin Power; if Mike Myers named Austin Powers after this character, I'm impressed by his familiarity with obscure 007 knockoffs.

Frozen Alive (1964)

Very sedate British-German science fiction drama. Scientist works on freezing and reviving animals. His heavy-drinking wife is jealous of his relationship with a woman scientist, and she has her own boyfriend on the side. The male scientist eventually has himself frozen to prove the technique can work on humans. He doesn't realize he'll have to face a serious situation when he's revived. It's all very low-key and realistic; or you might call it slow and unexciting. Good performance from the actress playing the alcoholic wife.

"The Wages of Fear" (French - 1953)

Summary -
In the South American jungle, supplies of nitroglycerine are needed at a remote oil field. The oil company pays four men to deliver the supplies in two trucks. A tense rivalry develops between the two sets of drivers on the rough remote roads where the slightest jolt can result in death - Courtesy, Wikipedia

A slow burner in all senses of the word, but the film benefits hugely from it because it gives us plenty of time to familiarise ourselves with the lead characters and the dangers they face transporting such dangerous supplies across a treacherous route. The ramping up of the suspense is beautifully executed as the men driving the trucks face one hazard after another during the seemingly endless journey across country.

The ending is quite extraordinary, and for some a bit of a let down, and not in keeping with the logic of either the film as a whole or the character in question. But despite that slight inconsistency this film is a delight.

5/5

Frozen Alive (1964)

Very sedate British-German science fiction drama. Scientist works on freezing and reviving animals. His heavy-drinking wife is jealous of his relationship with a woman scientist, and she has her own boyfriend on the side. The male scientist eventually has himself frozen to prove the technique can work on humans. He doesn't realize he'll have to face a serious situation when he's revived. It's all very low-key and realistic; or you might call it slow and unexciting. Good performance from the actress playing the alcoholic wife.
I recall seeing this years ago! Wouldn't mind seeing it again.

I watched Valerian with the Mrs. Last night. Still an enjoyable, but I doubt that I will watch it for a third time.

X Men 2 was on the television last night. I haven’t seen this for a long time and thought that it was still very good.

A Cold Night's Death (1973) (Made for TV)

Two scientists (Robert Culp and Eli Wallach) are dropped off by helicopter at a research station way up on a snowy mountain. It seems the one guy there hasn't reported in for a while. They find the place a shambles and the guy a frozen corpse. As they settle in to continue the research (experiments on primates at high altitudes, designed to test conditions for astronauts), odd things happen. Windows left open, heat turned off, etc. Soon the two scientists are at each other's throats, Culp insisting there must be someone -- or some thing -- doing all this, and Wallach blaming Culp for it. This two man show, limited to one building, creates a great deal of suspense as well as a feeling of claustrophobia and intense cold. You may find the explanation for the mystery either shocking or laughable.

Valerian - beautiful to look at but the two leads are charisma-free zones (who on earth thought that she could act?)

Death Wish (2018) - really enjoyed this

Pacific Rim:2 - transformerslite, really disappointing in all honesty

Ready Player 1 - loved some of the 80s references and the sound-track, film itself was.... ok

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2, which I really enjoyed, I think is even better then the first.
Then I watched Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets.
I think this is based on a French comic strip, possibly out of Heavy Metal magazine.
This film just blew me away, it is outstanding!
I loved the idea of an other dimension marketplace.
Hope they make some more of these.

Ready player one. To be honest, I was hope so much more from that film. The videogame's references are cool and the special effects are great, but the plot are so predictible and I found that a little bit boring. Also, it reminded me of a Robert Rodriguez's movie, Spy Kids 3D: Game Over, which I prefer so much in stead of the special effects.

Ready player one. To be honest, I was hope so much more from that film. The videogame's references are cool and the special effects are great, but the plot are so predictible and I found that a little bit boring. Also, it reminded me of a Robert Rodriguez's movie, Spy Kids 3D: Game Over, which I prefer so much in stead of the special effects.

First negative review I've seen regarding the RPO film. I've not seen it yet, but it's nice to see it doesn't thrill everyone.

And welcome to the Chrons!

Violated 1953. This one is typical low-budget detective/crime 'thriller' about perverts, but who cares - the soundtrack is all weirdo electric guitar, reverbed out by Tony Mottola, who did some quite wacky wecords, things like 'Music for Space Squirrels'. Maybe the only all-electric-guitar soundtrack of the 50s, who knows? KertwaaAng!
Wizard of Baghdad 1960 - well. If you can make it past the opening song.... without cracking up or at least gagging, then you will enjoy this wacky nebbish-fest.

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Woke up from a nap to find this was on the telly. Third time I've watched it. And I still wonder what all the fuss was about!

The "Great Acclaim" is that this series of unrelated stories is all brought together at the end is... PHOOEY! Just because the director manipulate the script to bring the participants of the various unrelated stories to the same location at the end of the movie (some outside, actually), is a contrivance, not a "wonderful plot twist".

Taken separately, these various stories were quite entertaining, especially Bruce Willis' piece. As an anthology, this movie rocks. Just stop trying to convince me the director was a genius in bringing it all together!

What We Become

A Danish Zombie apocalypse movie. It is a low budget affair but incredibly tense in parts with plenty of frightened characters, all very human in their response to the at first confusing and then terrifying events that overcome them.

Rampage w. Dwayne Johnson.

Wow, what a surprise! Fully nuanced and fleshed out characters, a career-best acting performance for most of the actors. layered subtleties and logical, believable special effects and action sequences. All in all a triumph of filmmaking which will be remembered come Oscars 2019.

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
as if!! Seriously the film is based on the mid-80s computer game how do you think it's going to be?

I really enjoyed it - yes it's trash but going in there knowing that is all that's needed. Mind you some tool took his 3 y/o in with him
eek.gif
so I do wonder what some people are thinking! In fairness, the kid was totally silent for the 3rd of the film they were there, but I'm putting bets on him not sleeping well at some point over the next few days