What was the last movie you saw?

1. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

Ghost in the Shell :eek:

Apr 12, 2018
  2. Cathbad

Cathbad Level 30 Geek Master

I saw that... pretty darn cute. :p

Apr 12, 2018
  3. Venusian Broon

Venusian Broon Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity

The Witch

I've brought a book, will you look at it with me?

Apr 12, 2018
  4. Cathbad

I'm not gonna look at it...

Hey! Let's ask Mikey! He'll read anything! :p

Apr 13, 2018
    Venusian Broon likes this.
  5. Parson

Parson This world is not my home

I liked this one. ---- As much as I hate to admit it, a lot of the animated stuff is better than most of the acted stuff these days.

Apr 13, 2018
    BigBadBob141 and Cathbad like this.
  6. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

True.:)

Apr 13, 2018
  7. Mouse

Mouse ejtett.weebly.com

I like it, seen it before but always worth another watch! First film watched in the new house. :D

Apr 13, 2018
    Parson likes this.
  8. svalbard

svalbard Well-Known Member

Annilation

An intelligent and well paced sci-fi flick that was turned down by the studios and went straight to Netflix. More of this if we get to see films of this calibre. Or is Netflix the new 'straight to video\dvd'.

I am not familiar with series the movie is based on, but if it is half as good as the movie then I will have to put it on my TBR mountain. Anyone know of the books?

Natalie Portman is superb as the lead.

Apr 14, 2018
  9. williamjm

williamjm Well-Known Member

I watched this last week. I agree it was a good film, it did a great job of capturing how much of a journey into the unknown it was for the characters and I like that it didn't feel it needed to explain everything that happened. I agree Portman did a good job in the lead role.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:36 AM
  10. WaylanderToo

WaylanderToo Well-Known Member

just watched Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay. Quite an enjoyable DC animated flick (certainly NOT for kids!)

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:03 PM
  11. Jeffbert

Jeffbert Well-Known Member

Noah's Ark, a hybrid of silent & sound. Heard that many were injured during production. They just don't make 'em like that, any more. Starts off during WWI with sound, then, apparently in a dream sequence, the ark, etc., returns to the WWI time.

There was a Crooked Man (1970); one of those fun westerns, with more than a few big names in the cast. Kirk Douglas is a robber who stashes big bucks in a hole filled with rattlesnakes; goes to prison, breaks out, and goes to retrieve the $$$. But-- :ROFLMAO:

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:57 PM
  12. Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf Vegetarian Werewolf

Knife of Ice (1972)

Spanish-Italian mystery/thriller which omits the nudity and explicit violence usually found in a giallo of the time. Carroll Baker is a woman who has been mute since the age of thirteen, when she witnessed her parents killed in a train wreck. Her cousin is murdered in the lavish estate of her uncle. Since another young woman was found dead not long before, the police suspect a serial killer, and assume Baker is in danger. More killings follow. Besides the uncle, other suspects/red herrings include the uncle's servants; the local doctor; the local priest; and the local drug addict/Satanist. The twist ending took me by surprise.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:27 AM
  13. Starbeast

Starbeast Benevolent Galaxy Being

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) - The film looked great, but, am I feeling the force.....(tickle, tickle, tickle :ROFLMAO:)....no.

Justice League (2017) - The film looked, pretty good, but really disappointed me. Thousands of stories to choose from DC comics, and they decided to :eek: try to copy Marvel Comic movies.

Now for the better ones (for me).

Thor: Ragnarok (2017) - I LOVED IT !!! Great story, acting, music, AND, art designs inspired by JACK KIRBY, beautiful. I even noticed the sound effects from the 1966 Thor cartoon. :D Nice touch (among many other things).

Black Panther (2018) - I LOVED IT !!! Great story, acting, music and overall, AWESOME. And like Thor: Ragnarok, lots of nice comic book touches.

The Hunt for Red October (1990) - I finally got a chance to see this magnificent film. Great story with lots of tension. Plus, a submarine load of fine actors in the movie too.

IT (2017) - Disturbingly delightful. Dark, gritty and monstrous. I still enjoy the original freaky TV movie. But this one, is nice to see push that "R" rating.

A Quiet Place (2018) - I'm so glad I don't watch trailers to films that I intend to see. This was a very creepy treat that was surprisingly excellent.

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:54 AM
  14. Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf Vegetarian Werewolf

Madmen of Mandoras (1963)

Dreary little low-budget spy movie, notable only for the ridiculous premise, discussed in the spoiler. Otherwise, it's a dull affair. Scientist who holds the secret to an antidote for a super-powerful nerve gas has his beatnik younger daughter kidnapped. She's actually just bait to kidnap the scientist himself. The husband of his older daughter goes to investigate, based on the single clue that a guy told him they're in the fictional Latin American nation of Mandoras just before he got shot. Unexciting spy stuff follows in Mandoras, which seems to consist of one village. Pretty soon we find out that:

The bad guys are Nazis who have the disembodied but living head of Hitler in a jar giving them orders. As a sign of how slovenly this movie really is, the big swastika behind Hitler's head is backwards. The movie later had twenty minutes of footage added for television, under the new title They Saved Hitler's Brain.

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:38 AM
  15. dask

dask dark and stormy knight

Whew! Still, there's a good story in there somewhere if someone were ambitious enough to dig it out. Just don't use your bare hands!

Finished up Grand Hotel tonight. Classic movie with an all-star cast about the vicissitudes of fortune in a fancy hotel in Berlin where "nothing ever happens." Great performances all around especially Joan Crawford whose swift and sly facial expressions give her the edge. And not only that, in 1932 she's hotter than Garbo.

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    Cathbad likes this.
  16. REBerg

REBerg Registered Alien

Atomic Blonde
    Hmm. I already knew that Imperator Furiosa could fight, but thanks for the reminder.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:08 PM
  17. Anthoney

Anthoney Bearded Member

I just rewatched Deja Vu with Denzel. Looking forward to his new Equalizer film.

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:24 PM
  18. Cat's Cradle

Cat's Cradle Time, now, to read...

Deja view, then, Anthoney. ;)
    My wife and I rewatched one of our favorite films, Magnolia. And because she loves SF too, we watched Colossus, The Forbin Project, which I think holds up amazingly well; her first viewing, and she enjoyed it too. I have a feeling Cameron must have seen this when it came out, in 1970 (Skynet from Terminator).

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:43 PM
  19. Cathbad

Welcome To Willits (2017)

Probably the worse teen horror flick ever made.

Drug-addled duo mistakes camping teens for aliens. Eh... honest mistake.

Skip this one.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:43 PM