What was the last movie you saw?

I beams burning off the Tannhauser Gate.... and then like tears in the rain they're gone. (or near enough, too tired to see if I got it spot on)

Apparently that was actually all ad-libbed by RH

"Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex, But Were Afraid To Ask" (1972)

I have a penchant for Woody Allen all of a sudden. And I rule out the Woody Bergman-wannabe era post "Annie Hall"!

For me Allen was at his most anarchic up to and including Annie Hall (1977). Those films were extremely funny in a slapstick, pratfall, gag kind-of-way. Very accessible and not particularly challenging cerebral-wise.

That said, "Everything...." really hasn't stood the test of time at all well. At the time it was considered risque purely because of its subject matter; but these days it all seems rather flaccid (pardon the pun!); and certainly not as funny or plot-driven as say "Bananas", "Sleeper" or "Love and Death".

2/5

My review of it from many years ago.

Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid To Ask) (1972)

Written and directed by Woody Allen.

Ah, the early 1970's. The Golden Era of the Best-Selling Sex Manual. The Sensuous Woman by "J", followed by The Sensuous Man by "M" and The Sensuous Dirty Old Man by "Dr. A" (Isaac Asimov.) Then there was Dr. David Reuben's question-and-answer book with the really long title with an asterix in the middle. Natural movie material, no?

Well, no. But they made a movie out of it anyway, sort of like the way they made a comedy out of Helen Gurley Brown's classic Sex and the Single Girl. Buy the rights, then ignore the book and just use the title.

EYAWTKAS*(*BWATA) takes the form of a skit comedy, with seven segments vaguely related to questions you might find in the good doctor's book.

"Do Aphrodisiacs Work?" takes us back to the Middle Ages, as jester Woody Allen (complete with one of those jester-faced sticks that jesters carry around, this one with glasses) does his shtick for the King ("It's great to be back at the Palace") before slipping the Queen (Lynn Redgrave) a love potion. As you might expect, chastity belt jokes ensue. This is probably the most average segment of the film; amusing, but nothing special.

"What is Sodomy?" stars Gene Wilder as a fellow who falls in love with a sheep. This is a pretty bad segment, with the humor on the level of dressing up the sheep in sexy stockings. One joke made me laugh, when Wilder winds up on Skid Row, drinking Woolite.

"Why Do Some Women Have Trouble Reaching Orgasm?" features Allen as the husband of a frigid woman (real-life ex-wife Louise Lasser.) Frankly, I remember nothing about the plot or jokes in this segment. However, I give it high marks for being a brilliant visual parody of an Italian art film, subtitles and all. (To my surprise, Allen actually sounds pretty convincing speaking Italian.) The cinematography is very European, and there are lots of shots of people walking slowly through half-lit corridors and all that arty stuff. Nicely done, and maybe a hint of the Allen who would later make Interiors.

"Are Tranvestites Homosexuals?" hits rock bottom with a jokeless skit about a guy (Lou Jacobi) in a dress. Utterly worthless.

"What Are Sex Perverts?" is an amazingly accurate recreation of the old game show "What's My Line?" with the new title "What's My Perversion?" I love to watch these old game shows on the Game Show Network, so I can vouch that this segment looks exactly like the real thing, down to the blurry and flickering black-and-white visuals of an old kinescope.

"Are the Findings of Doctors and Clinics Who Do Sexual Research and Experiments Accurate?" should be of interest to members of this board. It features John Carradine as a mad sexologist who has created a giant breast. It's actually funnier than you'd think, and I cracked up at Carradine's locked room full of zombified Boy Scouts.

"What Happens During Ejaculation?" is probably the film's best segment. It takes us inside the body of a typical male during dinner, followed by a sexual encounter. Burt Reynolds and Tony Randall are featured as cells inside the fellow's brain, which resembles a NASA control center. There are also some poor cells who have to work in the stomach, which gets filled with pasta. Allen himself appears as one of many sperm cells who are ejected into "outer space." This segment has a wonderful, white-on-white look inspired by 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Overall, two lousy skits, one OK skit, two excellent pastiches, and two good skits. Not bad.

Very much a curate's egg.

Blast of Silence 1961. Later black and white noir that really works. The tough guy narrator talking to himself about what a tough guy he is, how lousy the world is, how much he hates this and that. Jazz music makes this one better.

Night crawler was on TV last night. I had no intention of watching it, but it just caught my interest. It turned into a very good movie.

"The Killing of Sister George" (1969)

The ever-remarkable Beryl Reid plays and ageing lesbian actress, who faces being written out (killed off) of a long-running TV soap drama. She realises one reason for her demise is her age - she is too old and too cantankerous; and during rehearsals she is always at loggerheads with other characters, writers and the director of the soap. She has become bitter and twisted, and soon takes her spiteful vengeance on her live-in partner, the waif-like Susannah York, to whom is used to being the punchbag for Reid's bitchiness.

This bitchiness becomes even more tightly round when York meets up with a TV producer, played with understated skill by Coral Brown, thus pushing Reid further into the shadows of personal calamity and loneliness.

A wonderfully moving drama, which to my great surprise with directed by of all people, Robert "The Dirty Dozen" Aldrich!

Reid gives one of her finest performances I have ever seen, coupled with some able support from York as her naive young lesbian lover. (There is a fairly explicit love scene twixt York and Brown, which detracts from the mood of the narrative-led drama). Another good aspect is the handling of lesbianism throughout the film, which is done with a great deal of tact & respect without resorting to levity and a general homophobic overtone.

4/5

Guardians of Galaxy 2 -= pretty epic, but oh-so-typical father/son showdown for control of the universe. Still fun stuff. *****
Frankenstein Conquers the World 1965 - he has to be gigantic to do this... conquer the whole world - so he starts growing, in Japan, and then Baragon shows up to take the heat off big Frank, and rubber-suited wrestling commences. But does he manage to conquer the whole world? No spoilers. *

"2010: The Year We Make Contact" (1984)

Taken on its own merits, this is a fine SF action/thriller with plenty of good visuals, decent acting and a plausible script. But of course we all know this is a follow-up to "2001" and therefore in this context it fails to live up to its cerebral roller-coaster of a film!

The ending in particular falls flat: and if this is supposed to be "something wonderful is about to happen", well it turned out to be a bit of damp squib.

3/5

The ending in particular falls flat: and if this is supposed to be "something wonderful is about to happen", well it turned out to be a bit of damp squib.

Variety is definitely the spice. I agree that the movie is fine overall - not the greatest thing ever, but significantly better than most. But that ending is incredible (primarily in the good, and a little in the bad, sense). The sequence is one my favorite sequences in all film (even if it does stretch "extrapolation" strictly past the breaking point).

I mean - Jupiter turns into a STAR!! We have two suns in our sky!! Life begins evolving on Europa!! We almost nuke ourselves before aliens make first (general, historical) contact and show us a bigger picture!!!! Awe inspiring.

I watched Rogue One again last night with the GF. She wasn't overly impressed, but I thought it stood up to a second viewing and really enjoyed it.

"Fantastic Voyage" (1966)

Saw this a couple of years ago, and thought it was okay. Loved it as a kid of course because I didn't know any better, and genuinely felt that one day militarisation might become a reality one day.

40 years on and I'm still waiting. But I decided to give this film another go last night: all rather hokey of course, and I was strangely quite happy to see the demise of Donald Pleasence for a change!

Then there's Raquel Welch :cautious::censored:

2/5

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2. Lots of action and a heavy dose of humour. The chemistry of the gang is still intact and Drax, in particular, cracked me up. Before that I also watched Kong: Skull Island, Logan, Denial and Hidden Figures. Hidden Figures is superb! I've watched it three times. I really enjoyed the gritty Logan too, much more so than any other X-Men universe film. Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and newcomer Dafne Keen are highly watchable and the action scenes were heart-stopping.

The 5th Wave. :alien: I wasn't really a fan. I might still read the book one day to see if it's any better (since they typically are), but I just wasn't into the movie like I'd hoped I'd be.

Fast and the Furious 8

Eh!! it was dumb over the top fun. Turn off brain and watch.

"2010: The Year We Make Contact" (1984)

Taken on its own merits, this is a fine SF action/thriller with plenty of good visuals, decent acting and a plausible script. But of course we all know this is a follow-up to "2001" and therefore in this context it fails to live up to its cerebral roller-coaster of a film!

3/5

I think the first film was so good due to the book and movie being co-developed which presumably helped the plot of both, while 2010 was an adaption after the fact so the book could go places the movie couldn't.

It will be interesting to see if the actually manage to make the other two books as planned.

Alien Covenant - use of music (and other nods) from the original 'Alien' did make this a creepy experience, plus the unknown (to me) cast meant no ones survival was guaranteed. I'd rate it a worthy addition to the series.

Two modernizations of novellas by Fyodor Dostoevsky:

Notes from Underground (1995)

Set in modern Los Angeles, and with the "underground man" videotaping himself instead of keeping a journal, but otherwise captures the spirit of the original, with the spiteful, self-hating, self-destructive minor civil servant, his disastrous dinner party with successful folks with whom he went to school, and his encounter with the prostitute he fails to rescue. Pretty depressing stuff.

The Double (2013)

Keeps the basic theme -- meek, ineffectual fellow encounters his bold, successful doppelganger who eventually takes over his life -- but mostly notable for its setting, which is the same kind of weird blend of past and present in things like Brazil. Lots of really odd technology. Notable for the fact that, although all the characters are British or American, the most popular music is Japanese pop songs of the 1960's. Very, very dark comedy.

Alien: Covenant

This was well-made and well-acted, with a few excellent set-piece scenes, but ultimately a bit pointless. The script's pretentious references don't fit very well with the fact that it's really about people trying not to get eaten by monsters. Every new film about the Alien makes it seem smaller and more disappointing: we are a long way from the Lovecraftian star-god of the first film. The question "Where did it come from?" can't be answered in a way that is as grandiose as the question itself. So, I'm afraid, I think it's time to stop making these - not because Covenant is a bad film, but because I don't think there's anything for the films to say.

Maybe Outland is due a remake?

Finally caught up with these two movies:

DISTRICT 9
(2009) -- Quite good. Mostly innocuous and incompetent bureaucrat caught up in evacuation of a slum, the slum house aliens -- from outer space. Well-imagined and altogether too plausible as an extrapolation of how we would treat aliens who came here for sanctuary.

BRICK (2005) -- 1940s film noir set in a 2000s high school. The dialog occasionally strains while trying for something similar to '40s tough-guy vernacular, but really this is an amazingly successful re-imagining of '40s noir and maybe the best explanation you'll see for the progress of Joseph Gordon-Levitt from child actor to adult actor.

Randy M.

The Great Wall - holy wow, is there monsters in this one? Yep. No spoilers... but the title contains the words 'Eat All'...and Tao Tei is I et Oat backwards... and this is a terrific action movie, great FX and costumes. Watching it, I thought who is this MC, he looks like Matt Damon, then it turned out to be him.