What was the last movie you saw?

Rush - Beyond The Lighted Stage (2010)

Not a film per se, more rock documentary: just don't expect another Spinal Tap though!

If you're a fan of this long-serving, Canadian rock band, you probably won't learn much from this, even though it does cover almost 40 years of their existence. There are interviews aplenty from fellow rockers like Gene Simmons from Kiss, but they're more anecdotal than anything of real interest. But the consensus is that Rush are an excellent band but never quite made the mainstream, often ignored by the sniffy music media, and were still not recognised by the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" until 3 years after this documentary!

Over the decades their music moved away from the navel-gazing days of progrock of the 70s, the gee-whizz digital synth 80s, the sombre, moody and reflective 90s; and a return to slightly more mainstream rock & roll for the 00s. Fans will often argue long and hard which decade was Rush's best, and I guess like the band itself tastes change over time.

If you're not really a Rush fan then this film will be of little interest other than as a time-filling whimsy. But if you are a fan by all means check it out, but don't expect to learn much you didn't already know.

3/5

A Hologram For A King (2016) - Pleasant drama that I've never heard of, a bit strange, but not bad. Starring: TOM HANKS.

Gung Ho
(1986) - Wonderful RON HOWARD film to re-watch. One of Michael Keaton's best movies. Tons of great actors in the film. One of my favorite comedies of all time.

Horror Express
(1972) - Inspired by the short story, "Who Goes There?", written by John W. Campbell. Starring: Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing & Telly Savalas. One of my favorite cult movies.

Rush, ecccccch, that was on here, I put on Gumby episodes to drown it out. Overdone and mediocritous and yet we get bombed with their stuff everyday in public, still!. Like AB/CD, removed from record collection but still can't escape them. Meanwhile - Terrorvision 1986, has a ool soundtrack and funny punkrock bits, and a good monster. Not as cool as The Great Wall, which I 'spect SFF people will like, as will fans of archery. Maybe the best trick shot you will ever see.

"Day of the Dead" (1985)

I was watching the BBC news yesterday evening, and it featured an item about our Prime Minister, Theresa May. Shortly afterwards I had a strong desire to watch this very underrated zombie follow-up to the seminal "Dawn of the Dead" (78 version)!

I didn't think much of it when I first watched this in the cinema way back in '87; but over the years I have grown to appreciate it, especially the lead characters and a slightly more involving story compared to "Dawn".

The gory sfx look a bit dated by today's standards, but are effective enough for me. And I quite liked the ending, and it's a pity Romero couldn't have ended the franchise right there!

3.5/5

THE coolest shot in the history of archery. I defy anyone to think up a better one. The Great Wall is pretty great, fans of action/monster/ movies...and I think the history is more accurate than usual.... but no spoilers. I watched it again, now I want to join the nameless order. *

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage....

ok I'll fess up - I loved the 1st xXx movie. Big dumb fun. This though is very much a missed opportunity.

The good:

Donnie Yen
Tony Jaa
Deepika Padukone
Ruby Rose
The women are not just there as a love interest (though Nina Dobrev's character is a cracking parody of that)
quite ethnically diverse (if such matters to you)
Some good stunts

The bad

wasted opportunity for DY and TJ
logic fails (mind you you could level the same accusation at most Bond movies)

Overall it passed the time maybe 45%

I just watched this one and I agree with you. I don't know why, but I expected more.

The last movie I watched was Guardians of the Galaxy 2. I did like it and thought it was good, didn't blow me away like the first but then I had no high expectations for the first one like I did this one.

Last thing I watched on tv was the 100. This show is getting on my nerves but I just love some of the characters so I keep watching.

Hmm. I think the last thing I saw at the cinema was Going in Style. 2/5. Fluff without substance. Good performances. A few chuckles. Totally missed the opportunity to really make a point about society's treatment of its elderly.

Last thing I watched on a flight was probably Doctor Strange because it's been on BA flights constantly and it's an easy pick. 4/5, biased because I'm a long-time Doctor Strange fan girl and I'm just glad there's a pretty film of it at last :D

I totally missed The Handmaiden due to said flights, so I'll have to wait for Blu-Ray for that one, which is a shame as it looked excellent.

Oh, that's right! I saw Logan. Really enjoyed it. Mostly it was made by SirPatStew swearing his way throughout :D 4/5, a few logic holes, but good.

"LA Confidential" (1997). Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey

Brilliant yet somehow quite disturbing film that focuses on the underbelly of 1950 Los Angeles, where murder in Tinseltown is often covered up by a corrupt police, tipped off by a desperate gossip rag, and enforced by the powers in high office. It takes two detectives (Crowe and Pearce) to unravel the truth and take on the power that so easily corrupts.

Very uncompromising, and yet is so skillfully directed you find yourself yearning for more!

"Yes, I am entertained!!" (as Russell Crowe, might say)

4/5

Last movie I saw, about three days ago, was Snatched -- Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn. I went because I had time to kill before an appointment. I should have just wandered the streets and begged...
I went in not expecting much. I got less than I expected, and I ended up leaving well before it was done.

Plot: nonsensical -- a young woman, planning a trip with her boyfriend, is dumped (and she really deserved it!), and left holding the paid-for tickets. She can't find a friend who is willing to spend that much time alone with her, not even her mom; but she bullies her mom into going along... I guess that signs of her maturing were showing up before I left, but I just didn't care.
Characters: unsympathetic.
Action: people falling off cars or falling off boats... Someone tries to do a Tarzan-like swing on a vine, but it breaks...
Dialogue: pathetic.

Last edited:
Bad Moms (2016) -- Not awful, just dumb. Mila Kunis, Kirsten Bell, Kathryn Hahn and Christina Applegate deserve better material. What laughs come out of this are due to them, not the script.

THEM! (1954) -- first of the giant bug movies and still probably the best. The black and white cinematography and the gravitas of James Whitmore, James Arness and Santa Claus -- er -- Edmund Gwenn help carry the premise of ants made giant by radioactivity. Terrific, creepy early sequence with a little girl found wandering in the desert and her reaction to the noise the ants make. The movie also offers quick glimpses of actors early in their careers who visited our living rooms for the next few decades: Richard Deacon, William Schallert, Dub Taylor, Leonard Nimoy and Fess Parker.

Randy M.

"Life" (2017)

Basically what we have here is "Alien" meets "The Thing" with a touch of "Gravity" thrown in for good measure: in essence a bunch of astronauts working on the ISS discover something "live and kicking" on planet Mars. And guess what happens for the next 80 odd minutes!?

Director Daniel Espinosa, does a decent job as a poor man's Ridley Scott. And the film is good as a shock-horror, but only if you haven't seen films already mentioned above!

3/5

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

This movie is using the phrase "based upon" in the broadest possible sense. If you go expecting romantic historical myth and legend you'll be disapointed.
But.

This is Grimdark Fantasy, fun, and without a doubt a cult movie. Lock, Stock meets Lord of the Rings. It's only an hour and a few mins long but Guy Ritchie crams so much in to it. Who'da thought Beckham would make for a perfectly dodgy midlevel evil army grunt?