What was the last movie you saw?

So was I the only one who watched 40 year old virgin and thought at the start - hey, he's got quite a cool life...

I watched the Simpsons Movie, which was rubbish. Like a bad episode of the Simpsons with the disadvantage that it wasn't over in 25 minutes.

Finally got around to watching There Will Be Blood. Absolutely astonishing film, and with a real tour de force performance from Daniel Day Lewis. Not a film for those who want a sympathetic lead character, though...:p

I'm looking forward to watching this film! The way I like Daniel Day-Lewis, he'd better not to be sympathetic. Another impressive film of his is The Unbearable Lightness of Being, in which he was not only 'sympathetic' but pathetic!:p

I recently viewed The Bad Sleep Well by Akira Kurosawa. Needless to say, I was in tears by the end of the movie.

Was just flicking through the channels and saw something about to start -- Predator. Score! One of my favourite films. So I'm watching that now.

Just got through watching In The Mood For Love. For the...umpteenth time. Love it.;)

Blade Runner - the new cut; bought it on DVD at xmas and only just got around to opening the lovely package (5 discs............)
only problem is that proper TV is out due to decoration, so having to watch stuff on PC.

Ginger Snaps
Has anyone else seen this one?

Anyone???????????
I did, and it was a pretty nice female adolescence black comedy mixed with horror piece. I also saw the sequel GS: Unleashed, which was not as good , but still had its moments as a more straight-ahead horror story.
I had in fact reviewed GS, but the site where it was put up is currently out of action.

Edit: Oh what the hell, I'll just paste the review here :p

GINGER SNAPS - John Fawcett

In RL Stevenson's tale of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the character of Utterson describes Hyde in these words, "I never saw a man I so disliked, and yet I scarce know why...he gives a strong feeling of deformity, although I couldn't specify the point. He's an extraordinary looking man, and yet I really can name nothing out of the way." In the visual medium of course we can rarely have it that way, so cinematic Hydes have always come with easily describable deformities and abnormalities, and one of the more popular variations in film of this theme (mixed with some European folklore) is that of the Werewolf. Shuttling between the human, usually repressed side and the hot-blooded animal side, the Werewolf is, as Stephen King postulates in his delightful chronicle Danse Macabre, a representation of the conflict between the orderly Apollonian and wanton Dionysian sides of human nature.

Pompous ******** aside, the archetype Werewolf film is about an otherwise introverted and nondescript protagonist finding bloody release once the fur rises. 2000's Ginger Snaps is another effort that explores this theme. To make things more interesting, Ginger Snaps has two protagonists, Ginger and Brigitte, who with their intense exclusion of the rest of the world and tendency towards unusual activities like making a high school project composed of mock suicide tableaux, handsomely earn their reputation as the prominent weirdos on campus. Also, they're both running rather late to puberty. The main story picks off when the older Ginger, a little after her first period, is attacked by a werewolf. This sparks of a series of changes, both physical and psychological, which upsets the emotional equation of the nerdy sisters and sets the further course of increasingly violent events.

In several online reviews, Ginger Snaps comes highly recommended, praised for its intermingling of the themes of werewolves and difficult female adolescence. Apart from the gender, the theme is not particularly novel and in the early parts I was beginning to consider the film as a decent effort, but with some noticeably lazy plot contrivance (a drug-dealer who is also an expert on Werewolf lore) and weighed down by over-hype. But then it turned out to have a strong middle, with some really clever black comedy drawn from those elements. Ginger being presented with a crimson sauce dripping cake on her first period, or Brigitte diverting her stereotype suburban sitcom mother (Mimi Rogers, hilariously good) from noticing a corpse in the freezer with , "Mum, what do boys WANT?" are but a couple out of several moments that elicited hearty chuckles from me. It is also admirable that an emotional bond is depicted between the sisters without resorting to the usual mush.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Tillane

Finally got around to watching There Will Be Blood. Absolutely astonishing film, and with a real tour de force performance from Daniel Day Lewis. Not a film for those who want a sympathetic lead character, though

yes Till I saw this movie a couple of days before Daniel got his 2nd best actor oscar and I knew he was in with a massive chance. Its a great film and he is absolutely brilliant. A wonderful actor.

I had been working outside all this morning and finally came inside and sat down to watch Sence and Sensibility however I turned the tv on and just starting was Dr Zhivago. Havn't seen this movie in years, so that was it for another 3 hours or so, just watched Dr Zhivago. Still havn't seen Sense and Sensibility but that can wait for another day...............

Just watched the latter half of White Noise. I watched this at the cinema when it first came out, it's quite a jumpy film when watched properly. But the endings somewhat lame.

Last Movie I saw at the cinema was Beowulf, I loved it.

last movie I saw at home was The Fifth Element, and the one before that was Stardust.

I love Stardust, for all its an adaptation of a book, its really good.

Most recent: Requiem for a Dream
Before that: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Inland Empire, and No Country For Old Men