What was the last movie you saw?

Agatha Christine Adaptations of the 1960's That Emphasized Comedy Over Mystery Double Feature:

The Spider's Web (1960)

Diplomat's wife receives a visit from the guy who is now married to the diplomat's first wife. He claims to be there to claim custody of the diplomat's preteen daughter (new wife's stepdaughter) although, in our first clue, he is also very surprised to see the new wife there. Some time later, he sneaks back in and somebody kills him with the classic blunt instrument. When the new wife finds the body, she and three guys who are hanging around to be suspects/red herrings decide to hide the body instead of calling the cops. (The excuse is that the diplomat is about to show up with an important foreign visitor and the cops would seriously mess things up.) Somebody calls the cops anyway, so they investigate. What does it all have to do with the fact that the diplomat and his wife rented their home for an incredibly low price? Or with somebody who calls the house asking for "Mrs. Brown" and then hanging up? Or a desk with a hidden drawer that seems to contain only some not-very-valuable old autographs?

Based on Christie's play "Spider's Web" and following it closely, from what research tells me, this plays out like a bedroom farce despite the typically intricate mystery plot. From what I can tell, Christie deliberately wrote a comic mystery, as if she were parodying her own works. It's a moderately entertaining bit of light entertainment.

The Alphabet Murders (1965)

Extremely loose adaptation of Christie's novel The A.B.C. Murders. Tony Randall is weirdly cast as Hercule Poirot, trying to play the part with fake bald head, fake mustache, and fake accent. At least he says he's Belgian. The bare bones of the plot are here (somebody with the initials AA is killed, then somebody with the initials BB, then with the initials CC) but transformed into pure slapstick. Poirot is performed as if he were Inspector Clouseau. Anita Ekberg is around as a woman with the initials ABC who acts in a completely irrational manner. Fails as comedy or mystery.

Agatha Christine Adaptations of the 1960's That Emphasized Comedy Over Mystery Double Feature:

The Spider's Web (1960)

Diplomat's wife receives a visit from the guy who is now married to the diplomat's first wife. He claims to be there to claim custody of the diplomat's preteen daughter (new wife's stepdaughter) although, in our first clue, he is also very surprised to see the new wife there. Some time later, he sneaks back in and somebody kills him with the classic blunt instrument. When the new wife finds the body, she and three guys who are hanging around to be suspects/red herrings decide to hide the body instead of calling the cops. (The excuse is that the diplomat is about to show up with an important foreign visitor and the cops would seriously mess things up.) Somebody calls the cops anyway, so they investigate. What does it all have to do with the fact that the diplomat and his wife rented their home for an incredibly low price? Or with somebody who calls the house asking for "Mrs. Brown" and then hanging up? Or a desk with a hidden drawer that seems to contain only some not-very-valuable old autographs?

Based on Christie's play "Spider's Web" and following it closely, from what research tells me, this plays out like a bedroom farce despite the typically intricate mystery plot. From what I can tell, Christie deliberately wrote a comic mystery, as if she were parodying her own works. It's a moderately entertaining bit of light entertainment.
One of the things I most enjoyed about Christie when I was reading her -- and I read a lot of her works when I was in high school -- was the sense of fun and mischief that provided the atmosphere for many of her novels. I've been constantly surprised since that most of those who comment or criticize her seem to miss that she is often quite amusing and even outright funny. This is noted in The Life of Crime by Martin Edwards, and I can't recall if it's Edwards' observation or a quoted assessment that points out how fair she was in dropping clues to the culprit, and how often she covered the drop with a bit of slapstick humor.

The Alphabet Murders (1965)

Extremely loose adaptation of Christie's novel The A.B.C. Murders. Tony Randall is weirdly cast as Hercule Poirot, trying to play the part with fake bald head, fake mustache, and fake accent. At least he says he's Belgian. The bare bones of the plot are here (somebody with the initials AA is killed, then somebody with the initials BB, then with the initials CC) but transformed into pure slapstick. Poirot is performed as if he were Inspector Clouseau. Anita Ekberg is around as a woman with the initials ABC who acts in a completely irrational manner. Fails as comedy or mystery.
I tried watching this during the pandemic. I think I reached about the 10 minute mark and gave up. Bad, bad, bad ...

Captain America: Winter Soldier. Every few years I have to remind myself why I have no interest in superheroes.

It was this film that made me realise that I quite like Marvel films when they aren't doing superhero stuff - which defeats the object, really. I found this quite an entertaining film until magic people had to punch each other.

It was this film that made me realise that I quite like Marvel films when they aren't doing superhero stuff - which defeats the object, really. I found this quite an entertaining film until magic people had to punch each other.
Pretty much my reaction, too. They made it something like a 1970s conspiracy thriller and I thought that was a smart move.

I found this quite an entertaining film until magic people had to punch each other.
Yeah, some of the other stuff was OK, and the first action sequence was fairly intense. But that soon falls off when you realise there's no real stakes, because the heroes always have exactly the right amount of ability to meet the very high levels of threat (unless of course there's a better story beat to be gained by failure). It's the kind of story AI could be used to write.

MEET JOHN DOE (1941) 1st time seeing it, which seems odd, given Cooper & Stanwyck as costars.

So this local newspaper gets new owner, D.B. Norton (Edward Arnold), and the old sign on the building, which in part, says "'A free press means a free people'" is eradicated by a jackhammer, and a new sign is placed over it, the new slogan is "A STREMLINED NEWSPAPER FOR A STREAMLIND ERA." Next scene is the boss Henry Connell (James Gleason), firing many employees, including Ann Mitchell (Barbara Stanwyck), who pleads for keeping her job, but is denied. Connell does insist she submit one final work before clearing out. So, frustrated, she decides to play a prank on her heartless ex-boss, and write a fake story about John Doe, who is so disgusted by the current society that he says he will leap off the top of city hall midnight Christmas Eve. Somehow, it is printed, and too late, Connell reads it, thinking how are they going to live down such an obvious fake? So, he sends for Mitchell, and demands answers. What to do to avoid the other newspapers rubbing our faces in that fraud? Carry it to its extreme, pay some nobody to take the role of John Doe, and hope for the best. Long John Willoughby (Gary Cooper) is chosen from the entries, & both comedy and drama follow.

Supporting cast includes Walter Brennan a hobo and Willoughby's friend, whom he had met while riding in a boxcar. He calls himself The Colonel, and tries to dissuade Willoughby from going along with the scheme.

Thoroughly enjoyable!

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938)
So, King Richard (Ian Hunter) was away fighting to liberate the Holy Land, but was taken hostage by an unfriendly nation while traveling home. Prince John has usurped the throne which KR had left in the hands of a trusted friend. Oppressing the poor, raising taxes, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed Prince John (Claude Rains)'s wickedness; not so much what he did, but watching him sitting on the throne, etc. Great actor!

Robin Hood, formerly known as Sir Robin of Locksley (Errol Flynn), who is one of those not in power, a Saxon living under Norman rule. But, he was a nobleman, and was in a position of some power until, he began defending those whom the villain's oppressed.

Little John* (Alan Hale, Sr. I think this is his 1st role as Flynn's sidekick. Was very surprised when he was a henchman in the Prince & the Pauper!)

*NOTE: In this film, Little John never says, "Duh, don't you worry, never fear, Robin Hood will soon be here."

Guy of Gisbourne (Basil Rathbone), in one of many villainous roles, is just plain nasty.

Maid Marian (Olivia de Havilland) on 1st meeting the hero, loathes him. It will take a while, but she will change her mind.

Friar Tuck (Eugene Pallette; was he also Zorro's sidekick? Heard that this guy had some unusual ideas about the end of the world). I believe he is the 1st one to utter the name Robin Hood.

This is a classic that will never grow old!

"You speak treason!"

"Fluently."

SANDOKAN AGAINST THE LEOPARD OF SARAWAK 1964 - A little better than the previous one I watched--Sandokan's bride is captured and hypnotized by a fakir and he has to fight some snakes and escape quicksand traps. Picturesque locations with bamboo forests. Another from my Guy Madison action pack files--last time I said he was chain-smoking throughout--not so much here, he eats a banana in between, but it comes in handy when he has to detonate the enemy's ammunition supply (his smoking, not the banana).

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold (1965) d: Martin Ritt, S: Richard Burton, Claire Bloom, Oskar Werner

You want atmosphere? This movie has it in spades. Filmed in black and white with spartan interiors and cold landscapes, intrigue over action, and plot twists to spare. This is as far from James Bond as the genre gets. My favorite spy movie of all time.

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold (1965) d: Martin Ritt, S: Richard Burton, Claire Bloom, Oskar Werner

You want atmosphere? This movie has it in spades. Filmed in black and white with spartan interiors and cold landscapes, intrigue over action, and plot twists to spare. This is as far from James Bond as the genre gets. My favorite spy movie of all time.

100% this. Forget James Bond or Jason Bourne or whoever; this is a spy thriller done properly, with Burton at his most cynical. It really is a must-watch movie (and available on BritBox).

Blue Velvet (1985)
It must be at least twenty years since I last watched this movie and I found it just as compelling now as I did the first time I watched it. It’s also interesting looking back and noticing that this film was the first time we saw Lynch’s fondness for red curtains.

An often over-used word but this movie is actually deserving of the moniker classic.

Sunshine (2007). I had never seen this film before, but I've heard a lot of people rave about it. Starts out really well with a save the world plot by restarting the failing sun. It was a very Arthur C. Clarke sort of plot. Of course problems arise and the scientists on board the Icarus II have to think their way out of it. So far, so good. I'm thinking, hey this is proper science fiction. Then things take a turn. What started out as a 2001 type story ends up squarely in the realm of Event Horizon. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I was not interested in this sort of turn.

It's a good film, and I might enjoy it more if I ever decide to watch it again. The cast is fantastic though. And what a great cast.

Page Eight (2011) Le Carre-esque psychological spy thriller with Bill Nighy and Michael Gambon as two senior MI5 analysts with a complicated friendship, who discover something scandalous that implicates the Prime Minister. Rachael Weisz is the foil to Nighy’s character. A slow start but the story gradually unfolds, with a satisfying script. Nighy and Gambon play two singularly clever and basically decent men, slightly depressed by the mediocraties who they have to serve, and much is shown by what they do not say. Zero car chases, violence, or guns. Recommended.

Watched The Green Man.
1-1480020966.jpg

I tracked it down based on a comment that it was as good/funny as Alec Guinness' The Ladykillers.
It is an amusing 1956 black comedy with Alastair Sim playing a charming freelance assassin. Terry-Thomas has a minor role as the intended victim.
Deliberately manic, with a lot of contrived complications, it was well worth the hour and a half spent viewing.
The equal of (one of my very favorite movies) The Ladykillers? Unfortunately not. Every actor in that one is brilliant. Here the plot carries the load with the actors doing a pretty good period Brit comedy job.

Babylon (2022) . A bit crazy and doesn’t seem to be a very realistic view of Hollywood during the transition of silent to spoken movies. But still fun and Margot Robie does a great job.

Alice, Darling (2022). Not a thriller like I expected but was a nicely done film.

The Offering (2022). There has been a few horrors with Jewish characters in the last few years. An entertaining demonic horror.

GONE WITH THE WIND (1939) Several times I had recorded this, but dreaded it 4 hour running time. Started watching yesterday, and once past the 1st half hour, I began enjoying it.

It is about Scarlett O'Hara's (Vivien Leigh) infatuation with the man she cannot have. Since her teen years, she had eyes only for Ashley Wilkes (Leslie Howard). Despite being married several times and widowed almost as many, she clung tenaciously to the hope that she could win his love; no matter that he too, was married. She shamelessly pursues him throughout the film.

So, along comes the Civil War, and the desolation it brought to the Confederate States. Before that, the Sothern Gentlemen are gathered together, just hoping the Yankees do make war, so they can show them that "Gentlemen always fight better than rabble." Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) was there and took issue with the idea that the South could beat the North in a few weeks, or ever. He rightly stated that the North had factories, etc., and the capacity to make weapons, etc. Rather than any agreeing with him, they all became irate.

So, anyway, things happen, etc. I was surprised that I enjoyed the film, and, likewise surprised that Gable's famous line uttering such a coarse word as 'damned' was not the end of the film.

Too many supporting actors to even begin naming.

Once is enough, & I am glad that I saw this one.