Highlander TV Series: Villian

Diamond9697

Lookin Good
that's a good idea...well...let's see....a good villian has to be somewhat mysterious I think...he needs to have motives that might not be evident...at least at the beginning...and he needs to be somewhat sympathetic I think...

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
all good villain qualities ---

unless of course you have a villain who's just plain evil - then you need none of that --- he just has to have his evil motives and his desire to succeed in his own plan (insert she/her wherever necessary as you choose)

Diamond9697

Lookin Good
yeah...I'm bad at created that type of villian...they are always way to one-dimensional as far as I'm concerned and I end up either rewriting it or scrapping the whole thing

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
ah - but therein lies the challenge --

writing an evil villain who isn't one-dimensional -- just b/c the villain is evil doesn't mean s/he has to be flat ----

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
Originally posted by Diamond9697
yeah...not like thier wasn't enough of those in the series...

no? flat characters in the series? wherever did you get an idea like that??? ;)

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
hehehe --

okay - so now that we know what the flat villains look like -- we can take steps to avoid creating such characters of our own --

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
okay - are there any non-flat characters? ie: are there and 'round' villains on Highlander???

Diamond9697

Lookin Good
well Duncan tended to kill them of to fast for them to really develop much depth. I think Kronos was fairly rounded for the amount of time given to him.

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
yeah - Kronos got a bit more -

Horton got some depth to him too -- (and he was so easy to hate! very well-done character!)

anyone else??

most of the baddies got a flashback and then <poof> they were gone --

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
yeah - he got a bit of bkgrnd - he lost a hand, then was in that flashback later -- in the desert --

that thing w Hamza el Kahir (think that was his name)

Diamond9697

Lookin Good
Kalas was a bit rounded as well I think...most that had more than one eppy had at least some background and personality

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
looks that way - yes --

tho - they could have done more w/ some of the single episode characters ---

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
of course not - that would require attention to be taken away from Duncan -- so the k'immies couldn't be more developed --

ya know - i GOOD writer can develop a single episode character in the 1st 15 mins of the show and STILL kill the guy and make the viewers believe it ---

Highlander lost all it's good writers after season 2, i think - 'cept for whomever was in charge of the 'Methos-centered' eps - ie: Methos, Timeless, The 2 Horsemen eps -

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
Was watching Forever Knight - and realized that Garrain Wyn-Davies had so much more room for his character on HL than he does on FK (either that or the writers slacked off in S3 of FK) --

Quentin Barnes / Michael (his last name just slipped my mind as I was trying to type it) was much more interesting than Nick Knight - or at least the Nick from S3 FK --

Quentin/Michael was an interesting character - yeah - he had that whole 'dual personality thing' going for him, but only the audience knew, for most of the episode, that they were the same guy ---

tho - I'm not always sure how some of these characters miss stuff like that---- but - anyway --- (suspension of disbelief I guess)

Quentin was just an unusual 'k'immie' --

chronos

Have you ever realized that almost all the villains' names start with K ?
I don't think that's coincidence, it looks more like a inside joke. Does maybe the producer's name or the name of any of the other bosses start with a K??