Question: Fav Horror Novel?

Glad you got hold of All Hallows' Eve, Pedro. It is a real work of the imagination--in that regard, it's something like Lindsay's Voyage to Arcturus or Peake's Titus Groan, though it is not "like" those books. (However, it is a little like Lindsay's The Haunted Woman.) It possesses something often missing from "horror fiction," which I will label as "maturity" without defining what I mean by the word.

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. Not really horror novel, But what happens to the main Character Joe Bonham is pretty horrifying.

Probably All Hallows' Eve by Charles Williams.
md13714656886.jpg

I'd still give All Hallows' Eve the edge; but I have just reread Richard Adams's The Girl in a Swing, and that would rank high in the list of novels with a supernatural horror element so far as my reading is concerned. Adams fans might go here:

Richard Adams: Watership, Shardik, Girl in a Swing, and more

Joining my all-time favourite list is The Fisherman, an existentialist folk-horror set in 1913 and present day, by author John Langan. @ratsy was kind enough to buy it for me as a gift, and I can honestly say it's the fastest I've read any book. I don't want to give any spoilers, but if you cross House of Leaves, Arthur Machen's The Terror and Les Revenants (TV show) you get the idea of this story.

I've never been this excited about a new author before.

pH

Last edited:
James Herbert

Hi there. I have read a book by James Herbert called 'The Ghosts of Sleath'. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Very spooky. Has anyone else read it? Would like other peoples opinion.

The title is a Quasimodo (it rings a bell). I am almost certain I've seen, if not read it long ago....

Joining my all-time favourite list is The Fisherman, an existentialist folk-horror set in 1913 and present day, by author John Langan. @ratsy was kind enough to buy it for me as a gift, and I can honestly say it's the fastest I've read any book. I don't want to give any spoilers, but if you cross House of Leaves, Arthur Machen's The Terror and Les Revenants (TV show) you get the idea of this story.

I've never been this excited about a new author before.

pH

Hi, pH.

I've read House of Windows, Mr. Gaunt and Other Uneasy Encounters and not quite half of The Wide Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies I thought the first two stories in Mr. Gaunt were exceptional but wasn't quite in tune with the others, enjoyed every story I've read in the latter, and consider the first title to be one of the most underappreciated horror novels I've read in the new century. Eventually I'll get to The Fisherman since I've heard many good things about it.

Randy M.

I have more or less the complete works of John Langan sat on my shelf but I haven't got round to reading them yet.