Question: Fav Horror Novel?

I've never heard of William Hope Hodgson, is Borderlands a ghost story? Or messed up like Lovecraft, Rats in the Walls is probably my favourite there.

I listened to Bag of Bones (SK) whilst walking back and forth from work (probably doesn't count even if it's read by King himself?), taking a route through an unlit cycle path. Highly recommended. Especially when the fridge magnets start playing up...

Domain is one I go back to every couple of years, read it in college in a day or two. First book I literally could not put down. Yes it has cliché characters, but what a ride.

Is there a Matheson book where a demon is impregnating women in their dreams and there's oily snakes bursting out of them? Anything with dreams freak me out.

Wow, I don't think I've read a horror in over ten years. Films, yes.

The Dark Chamber by Lenard Cline another book much admired by H p Lovecraft.

One the list of must read horror novels is The House on The Borderland by William Hope Hodgson . Written 1908 is considered one of the best horror novel ever written . This another book that is well regarded by H P Lovecraft.(y)

Just picked it up... gonna be my next read.

Fallen Angel by William Hjorsberg was adapted into film staring Mickey Rourke and Robert Be niro .

I've never heard of William Hope Hodgson, is Borderlands a ghost story? Or messed up like Lovecraft, Rats in the Walls is probably my favourite there.

It's weird in the way that Lovecraft meant "cosmic awe." It starts relatively straight forward but by the end it has explored more than just the house. Lovecraft gets lambasted for his prose style but honestly Hodgson is worse. What makes Hodgson's work still readable is his ability to convey his imaginative flights in spite of that.

Randy M.

Gotta go with Salem's Lot. When I was a teenager I read every book Stephen King published in the 70s and 80s. The stories were engrossing and suspenseful, but I didn't really find them scary. Except for Salem's Lot. That scared the crap out of me, and still did when I re-read it in my 20s. Vampires have become so watered-down and clichéd, but King absolutely nailed the horror of a town gradually being taken over by a coven of undead.

It's funny, but I was just thinking about King a couple days ago and went out to buy It for a re-read. They didn't have a copy at the book store, so I settled on Summer of Night by Dan Simmons instead. So far, I'm quite impressed. Simmons isn't quite the natural storyteller that King is, but he's a master word-smith, and can conjure up deeply disturbing imagery.

Salem's Lot still gives me bad dreams and I'm in my 40's!

It's one of the best Vampire novels of all time. There were two miniseries adaptations of it the. The one made in 1979 by Tobe Hooper while good and the better of the two adaptations cannot do justice to the book.

Two chapters into borderlands and already not what I expected. Chapter two! This is madness...

A difficult question to answer. I rarely get scared at all, by novels or movies. I have camped enough in dark forests too. I would like to be more easily scareable though. Perhaps I'm so logical as a reader that I tend to rationalize everything that I come across. But horror, as a term, can include so many different emotions and combinations of them that I sure must have been horrorized some time. Some books give you the curious disgust (no horror here for me) and some for example, a weird kind of oppressive anxiousness ('The Shining'). Often the most scariest books are the ones that aren't horror books at all, genrewise. Horror really is a complicated and hard thing to achieve. For me anyways, and for many people that have been exposed to it from a young age. In some horror books you can sense the build up and you somehow prepare yourself to what's coming. You automatically accustom yourself with the style and the set. That 'prepare to be scared' -style sometimes takes away all the suspense. Sometimes it really isn't what you expected but that still doesn't always mean true horror. I have watched horror movies since I was a child. My father was a horror enthusiast of a kind. I remember when he always made sure that I couldn't see anything that would give me nightmares so he always told me to leave the room when something graphic was about to happen (movies that he had seen before). I was always so thrilled to do this. My imagination probably made those scenes more scary than what they would've been otherwise. I had a deep affinity to horror genre from there on. When I grew up, I owned a part of my life especially to horror movies. So as to say, I have a strong toleration to horror. Usually horror, for me, means curious awe.

Ghosts, monsters, haunted places and possessed things... meh. Unknown things with unknown purposes... count me scared. This is the number one reason I'm a huge fan of anything extra terrestrial (mostly movies). I also have a weird interest on the body-mind connection; the transmutations, weird symptoms and physical modifications by the human mind. A.k.a body/biological horror. Although not a very good example of body horror, I remember Greg Bear's 'Blood Music' giving me some creeps in its disturbingly plausible-like descriptions of nano-bots and human existence. Once again, not a horror book.

Last time I had to put on the lights in the middle of the night was when I was reading King's 'Insomnia', which is not a particularly scary book either, most definitely a King novel but... but one scene took me totally by surprise and it pulled the rug from under my imagination in its unexpectedly otherworldly strangeness.

The most recent book that had my mind wondering into worlds that truly left my mind to be f**ked by something I still can't name, was Thomas Ligotti's 'Songs of a Dead Dreamer'. The concepts seemed to have no bottoms at all. From time to time I took a break from reading and my imagination went to places where, for small spirallic moments, I could feel truly alone and abandoned. Places with neverending time and over-imaginative, unknown, overpowered evil. Places that were part of something that you could not ever understand. The reader was left vulnerable with a series of questions about the possible qualities of existence and different kinds of realities. Is it possible to think about things that could not happen in our reality? Is the human mind more vivid than anything that could be encountered in all the dimensions in our universe?

But thought-provoking prose or a sudden burst of blood on the protagonists face, I am on a constant quest to scare myself by books.

Probably All Hallows' Eve by Charles Williams.
md13714656886.jpg