Question: Fav Horror Novel?

stripe

Sovs Favorite Moderator
What is your favorite horror novel?

I really like the Fontana and Pan series of short horror stories simply because I have this problem in that when I start reading I cant usually put the book down until I finish it ....LOL!!! so short stories are ideal for me and my family ..:)They have this annoying habit of wanting to be fed three times a day...LOL!!!!

horror books

Hmmm.. Any Barbara Erskine novel is good for a little case of goosebumps and dose of adrenalin when the next door neighbours cats scream as only a cat can late at night.
The last really interesting 'horror' tale (not blood and gore) was The Queen of the Damned - Anne Rice.

i really like anything by dean koontz
james herbert,and john saul, and anything
by anne rice. i used to love stephen king
but i got soo bored with him..peachy

well

I just recently read ...'The Unloved" by John Saul a very good book.

James Herbert has some great ones too, as do Ramsey Campbell and Guy.N.Smith

I have never heard of Barbara Erskine is she good???

Havn't read any for a long long time, never even read a Stephen King book. I use to read christopher pike when i was more of a kid though - they were alright at that age. There was one really good one on Mars which i think was more of an adult one - i liked that.

James Herbert

Hi there. I have read a book by James Herbert called 'The Ghosts of Sleath'. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Very spooky. Has anyone else read it? Would like other peoples opinion.

i've read a book called 'when midnight strikes'. don't read it at night, i couldnt sleep, i didnt want to close my eyes. unfortunately i cant remember who wrote it

Stephen King used to be really scary.. lately they're almost TOO much thought provoking, and not enough horror provoking..

Dean koontz always leaves a chill!!

I used to read John Saul, but realized that all of his books are formula. Someone moves to a small town, they have kids, one of the kids becomes involved in something strange, adults have to figure it out before it destroys the kid, etc.

Stephen King used to be my favorite horror author and in a way, he still is. I can reread his earlier horror novels and still get chills. My all time favorite of his though is The Stand. Excellent book.

I'd like to recommend Peter Straub if you like really good horror. I think probably his most well known is Ghost Story. If you've seen the movie, ignore it. Read the book. ;)

Another writer that a lot of people don't know is Shirley Jackson. Her Haunting of Hill House is a classic. Again, read the book - ignore the movies.

Try F. Paul Wilson also. I found him through a movie that was made from one of his books. It's called The Keep. The movie starred Scott Glenn and by itself, it's a good movie. The book is better.

Cheers,

Originally posted by ponyperson
Stephen King used to be really scary.. lately they're almost TOO much thought provoking, and not enough horror provoking..

Dean koontz always leaves a chill!!

Hey I still list Stephen King at the top of my horror list. :p I just finished reading "Desperation". Oooooh talk about chills. I also like Anne Rice. I think I read Koontz a long time ago but it did not inspire me to follow up.

i think dean koontz is a great writer, have you tried "fear nothing", and "seize the night"? they were great, give him another try and see, i used to read everything stephan king wrote, but i just got a little bored with him, love anne rice, she's my favourite...peachy

Hi everyone!

I read one called "The Shrike", wow, was it scarey...this thing would slide down the wall like a shadow...oooooo, definately not to be read at night! I was reading it at around midnight, and i could of sworn i saw a shadow coming down my wall...just at that instant, my phone rang! I was too scared to answer it! My phone was out in the hall at the time...i would not go out and answer it....so scarey! Oh yeah, the writer was "John Saul" :eek:

Starling :alienooh: :eek7: :eek4: :hjbigeyes

hi starling, the book "the shrike" was written by
joe donnelly...peachy

which were the "fear nothing" and "seize the night" books?..
was that the guy wth the "daylight disorder"?

yeah ponyperson they were, i absolutly loved those books...peachy

i've been looking for "seize the night"...i should try amazon.com..
is it as good as the first?.. that was pretty spooky/weird!

well i thought it was as good as the first, just loved it
...peachy