The Golden Compass Controversy

Re: Golden Compass Backlash...

Werrrrl, I have. Not many I grant you, thank god. And I will concede you're right about the 6 of one half a dozen of the other thing - that kind of behaviour is more likely to occur with religious folks - but I have run into the occasional atheistic nitwit. If you've never come across a preachy atheist, then maybe you've been lucky and I've been unlucky - or maybe there's a higher percentage of nitwits in Oz. ;)

My point was, Lin that Atheists don't 'diss' god. They just don't believe any such thing exists, so how could they?

Yes, that was pretty obvious.
What you seem to be missing is my assertion is that nevertheless, and despite the silliness...they DO.

And what's even funnier, their idea of what "God" means always turns out to be some simplistic judeo-christian sundayschool cartoon. Which they tear down and piss on and feel superior about.

Atheism is the weakest theological position, but provokes streams of infighting and fundamentalist blather about God.

Atheism is the weakest theological position....

Really? There are some pretty odd religions and religious views out there, even if we don't count LRH and his space lizards (or whatever).

By the way, I agree with what you said about the cartoon version of God being easy to tear down. But this behaviour is true of a lot of so-called "debates" these days, where people simple trade their attacks on straw men of their own choosing rather than argue points of dispute with each other.

I didn't say odd. I said weakest.

It's basically a mathematically statement about proofs more than anything else.

It's basically a mathematically statement about proofs more than anything else.

I should have guessed that you were using this staple of theological debate.

(But if you were merely stating that god plays (or gods play, for polynontheists) the least part in the belief system(s) of atheists, compared to those of a religious persuasion, I'm guessing most of us already had an inkling of this.)

Atheism is the weakest theological position, but provokes streams of infighting and fundamentalist blather about God.

What is weak about atheism as a theological position?

What position is stronger, and why is it stronger?

The strongest position is agnostic. "I don't know"--absolutely unshakeable.

Next strongest would be theism. In the sense of "I experienced something."

Last would be atheism. "There is nothing to experience." VERY difficult to prove. Pretty much impossible in the theological area.

Mathematically it is much easier to prove than disprove.

My favorite analogy is this. Three guys go into a room and come out. One guy says,
"There's a cat in that room. I saw it."

Second guy says, "I didn't see a cat."

Third guy says, "There is NO cat in that room."

Now...who is most likely wrong. What's funny is, that whenever the experience of God is brought up, atheists immediately start talking about coercion, hallucination, lying, etc.

But there on position...based on denying something because they didn't experience it, is always touted as being scientific and unassailable.

While your example illustrates the problem, Lin, it isn't quite the same situation. All three guys will know that there is such a thing as a cat; their dispute is about its presence in the room. The first guy was only asking the others to believe in something that was entirely possible. The guy saying "there is no cat" is calling into question the eyesight and/or perception of the first guy, not the existence of cats.

Arguing about the existence or otherwise of a deity is different. (Imagine the first guy saying: "There's God in that room. I saw him/her/it.")

The evidence is, almost by definition, inconclusive and disputed. People can suggest that there is indirect evidence, but others will dispute it.

Last would be atheism. "There is nothing to experience." VERY difficult to prove. Pretty much impossible in the theological area.

Most atheists are not positive (or strong) atheists, but rather negative (or weak) atheists. There is a thin but important difference between agnosticism and weak atheism. A weak atheist does not believe in a god but does not say that there is not one either, though he/she might say that the evidence does not support a god and go about life as if there is none. An agnostic does not believe in the ability to determine whether there is or is not a god. You can be an agnostic theist or an agnostic atheist.

I'm a weak atheist. I don't know whether there is or is not a god.

Weak and strong atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term "atheist" can be applied to anyone who does not have a belief in a god.

Okay, Ursa, I'll gear it down for you. The second guy said he say a monster in the room. You okay now?

If you don't know and say so, then you are an agnostic. Examine the words.

This whole thing is a recent concoction raised by atheists...and if you haven't seen discussions of this before on other forums and seen all the "scientific proofs" and scornful denials of the possibility of existence of God (often by the same people who will give you statistical probabilities of life on other planets), then you aren't really aware of the parameters...in order to have a sort of "shelter" from the logical problems of their indefensible position.

Saying there is no God is making a statement that is unprovable, has no evidence behind it, and is logically unsound.

So if somebody wants to define their postiion as being a free-range reformed Atheist type seven B to where they aren't making that statement, then they are less foolish.

Few do.

I'm not taking any position on the existence of a deity in this thread.

What I am doing is being argumentative; think of it as helping you to iron out the wrinkles in your arguments. (Trust me, this will do you good in the end. ;):))

Sorry, you'll have to wait for my next critique. I have to be elsewhere (and since neither science nor faith will get me there instantaneously, I have to go now).

What you seem to be missing is my assertion is that nevertheless, and despite the silliness...they DO.

Then the ones you know aren't atheists.

And what's even funnier, their idea of what "God" means always turns out to be some simplistic judeo-christian sundayschool cartoon. Which they tear down and piss on and feel superior about.

Your generalising. I'm an ex Methodist lay preacher an I understand that 'god' means different things to different people.

Atheism is the weakest theological position,

I understand that relgious people like to define everyone in religious terms so that they can imply that atheists have 'something missing' in their lives.

However, I am a born-again atheist. My position and the position of many atheists is that of a new-born babe - we have no theological position.

What's your position on fairies Lin? Believe or not? Do you define yourself as a non-fairiest and is this a weak fairiestic position? I would imagine you don't define yourself in these terms at all because it just isn't relevant- now you know how I feel. :)

Saying there is no God is making a statement that is unprovable, has no evidence behind it, and is logically unsound.
But do Atheists need evidence for their belief that there is no God?? Atheists are trying to prove nothing as they don't believe in anything other then the world we already know while the Theological position requires you to argue for something more i.e.God.

Somebody says they don't believe something, that's the end of the story.
They say "There is no God" and they've moved to the untenable position as I describe it.

Whatever rummaging around has been fashionable lately, "atheism" means a beleif that there is no God. Look at the word.

wow...TWO people chimed in on fairies. What, fairies are bizarrer than monsters?

The ex-methodist guy has redefined the word to suit himself. That's fine. But I'm talking about the more commonly understood definition, not his personal one.

As far as the "understanding of religous people" (I don't particularly understand them at all, myself) it seems to be an understanding based in his own prejudices.

Somebody says they don't believe something, that's the end of the story.
They say "There is no God" and they've moved to the untenable position as I describe it.

Whatever rummaging around has been fashionable lately, "atheism" means a beleif that there is no God. Look at the word.
Atheism means more then a belief that there is no God but also that the idea of God is incoherant and as such they not only hold that there is no God but that he cannot be defined and so as the Atheist would say there is no point in arguing something that doesn't and cannot exist (In effect you can't argue nothing).

Ok, can out open lid go to it worms.

I know there is no god. what am I?

It's a shame really. If there was it would give me something to look forward to. (in the short...)

I wouldn't mind a few strong words with the kind of entity that is prepared to cause the horror, pain and suffering we've all seen just in the last few weeks -inaction is as bad action when it comes to the death of thousands and the apparently simple means to prevent it. There's no free will in being crushed to death under an earthquake aftermath.

If any other entity "allowed" the destruction plague famine war and anything else you'd care to mention I don't think the average person in the street wouldn't be saying

"what a fantastic guy - you know he let a million people starve to death rather than make it rain - great guy, throws a fantastic party of on 23rd street"

As for the cats can we be sure the room exists that three, not the square root of 10, people went in or that they have yet emerged to report the existance of Bastet?

Until we are absolutely unshakably sure of the above, what foundation do we have for discussing the existance of a pigs ear never mind a figment of delusion.

The strongest position is agnostic. "I don't know"--absolutely unshakeable.

Next strongest would be theism. In the sense of "I experienced something."

Mathematically it is much easier to prove than disprove.

My favorite analogy is this. Three guys go into a room and come out. One guy says,
"There's a cat in that room. I saw it."

Second guy says, "I didn't see a cat."

Third guy says, "There is NO cat in that room."

Now...who is most likely wrong. What's funny is, that whenever the experience of God is brought up, atheists immediately start talking about coercion, hallucination, lying, etc.

But there on position...based on denying something because they didn't experience it, is always touted as being scientific and unassailable.

Uhm, sorry for jumping in like that, but I think your cat example in context with atheism is flawed.
The atheist´s position would be : There is no cat in that room, because cats don´t exist.
In your example, the existence of cats seems to be commonly accepted. They probably all have seen their share of cats outside this situation. It´s just the existence of one particular cat in one particular room that´s up to debate. And given the circumstances the third person´s position of denial of a cat in the room gets more or less likely. If he´s there for the first time his insisting seems silly - but if it´s his own room, from which he knows it was hermetically shut until five minutes ago, then there´s still the small chance of a cat in there, that slipped in this five minutes, but the position he has will be the more likely.

Back to the point :
If all the evidence of gods existence are personal and subjective (meaning: not scientifically or empiric provable ) and made by someone else but me, why is my position of saying : "No, man, you are not going to heaven and I´m not going to hell, because God & Co don´t exist" a weaker position than "I have never seen it, I can never prove it, but you´re going to hell if you´re not living after the rules given by god (whose existence waits to be proven, too)"?
And that´s my single problem with religion. Not that people believe in god. If it helps you, fine, more power to you. It´s the fact, that certain religious people (e.g. the churches ) demand a say in how I live, based on something they believe. And expect me to accept their subjective experience as prove. I think that´s most atheists main problem. They don´t go up the fence because you dare believe in god and they hate it. They go, sometimes rabid, against personal believe because they see it as the source of a lot of trouble in our daily life. I think, some of them don´t get that personal religion and organized religion are not the same, and that the former doesn´t have to be fought against like the letter.

I know there is no god. what am I?

Delusionally self-impressed.

And rife with what you hear so much of from atheists...extremely primitive understanding of the area they are discussing. (How could God "allow" bad things"? for instance, is kind of kindergarden logic.)

Of course, logic doesn't matter when you KNOW, does it?