Golden Compass - spoilers (book and movie) discussion

Legolas

something more magical
Northern Lights?

I heard a whisper that Northern Lights by Philip Pullman is going to be made into a film. ANyone know anything else about it?
:flash:

Sorry Leggy, doesn't ring any bells for me, but I will have a bit of a dig and see if I can turn anything up.

Is that part of 'His Dark Materials' series? Isn't there already some kind of stage play running in London?

With the hype over Harry Potter, I would expect a mad scramble for the rights to those Philip Pullman books.

edit: Yes, the play is at the National Theatre and tickets are completely sold out.

http://www.nt-online.org/?lid=6158

Northern Lights is the first book in the series. I haven't read the next two, but I found the first one a little disappointing. But I would definitely have liked to see a stage adaption - pity it is sold out, as I will be visiting London next month and was planning to take in a show.

His dark materials movie

Uh-Oh. Does anyone else feel that they are going to stuff this one up, like for example A Series of Unfortunate Events, A great series but truly terrible movie. There are so many ways they could ruin the movie, like turning it into a little kids movie.

Re: His dark materials movie

If whoever is writing the script goes and starts to use material from the other books, then the film will be nowhere near as good as it could be. I don't care if the scriptwriter is some unknown, or Philip Pullman - there's no point in changing things for the first film, because by the time the third film is being written, things will have changed so dramatically that it won't be His Dark Materials any more.

I agree with you on SoUE - again, they brought things in from other books, mashed them together, and produced something awful.

And the same happened with the Alex Rider film - Sabine Pleasure? In Stormbreaker?!

Anyone know when it's coming out and who is the cast?

I didn't mind the Lemony Snicket film, though I saw it before I read the books. But in that case if they had just stuck to the first book, it would have been a very short film, so I understand why they 'mashed' them together.

As far as His Dark Materials goes, I'm hoping for a good outcome. I believe Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman have been cast as the two leading adults. Beyond that I'm not sure...

Anyone know when it's coming out and who is the cast?

His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass (2007)

IMDB is your friend. :) Dec 7 07 as of right now, with the cast listed.

If you run the slideshow the only thing you can tell for sure is that they aren't doing it on the cheap. Nicole Kidman looks she'll make a good villain.

To be honest with you I didn't care for the books, but this adaptation looks like it might be pretty good.

Thanks that old guy. I agree, Nicole Kidman looks like she'll be good in it.

This doesn't look like it'll be too bad, and I didn't mind the Snickett film either, it wasn't too loyal to the books and pretty much missed out book 2, but I liked it.

I heard that they have taken out all references to God in the Films to appease the American market. So think if you love the books this film may annoy the hell out of you. However that said I really want to see an Amoured Bear

I heard that they have taken out all references to God in the Films to appease the American market. So think if you love the books this film may annoy the hell out of you.

I've heard the same thing - it kind of removes the entire point of the story.

I think that they will do a botch job of it but I will still see it sometime.

I wonder who Eric Banna is going to be playing, it doesn't say. There seems to be a lot of people I have never heard of in the cast though. Also Eva Green and Daniel Creig will be in the same movie again.

Just been looking around the official site:

The Golden Compass

Looking very promising, indeed. Though I hope some of the daemon pics are works in progress. I agree with Munkeygames, though: can't wait to see the armoured bears.

Plus there's a great little quiz to see what your daemon would be. Mine's an ermine named Sophistra...

Cool quiz. My daemon is a crow named Alvin.

Yeah the armoured bears will be cool.

My deamon is a Snow Leopard called Vyena

I didn't mind the Lemony Snicket film, though I saw it before I read the books.

Ditto and I haven't read this either so I'll be going in just looking for a good movie rather than one which closely follows the book. Most films take diabolical liberties filming a novel so it's to be expected.
Ultimately, this will be judged on it's success as a movie not on how faithful an adaption it is - some may see it as the same thing but it's not.