The Golden Compass Controversy

Re: Golden Compass Backlash...

I agree that your ideas about "not existing" have no merit, Fanatic. But they are your ideas, not mine. The usual sloppiness that allow people to refute the existence of God by defining the word in terms of their own juvenile images of some old guy on a throne or somebody in charge of making sure everything is good and nice or whatever.
Hmm They were never my ideas. And when arguing God I argue a common conception of God (By definition Omniscient/omnipotent/and morally perfect) with which these arguments are hardly going against some Juvenile conception.
Okay, you all did VERY poorly on the cat in the room thing, but let's try another little analogy.
Them may I ask what you thought the cat in the room proved at all as from here and reading through other posts it seems to be all smoke and mirrors.

Do you believe in the existence of Love? How about Orgasms?

What makes you think they exist? (Other than that you might have experienced them...perhaps even in situations involving other human beings)
Try THINKING about it for a minute first, okay?

Ooops, you're already feverishly typing that scientists have used electrodes and EEG's etc to map these experiences and etc, yada yads.

Well, guess what...same goes for spiritual ecstasy and a lot of mystical response states etc.
And your point is ......... What?
People who have say a mystical response will have something detectable on an EEG machine but then what does this prove? Nothing. In fact if they were hallucinating then they would experience a detectable response as well and so that further shows the possibility that it is all in the mind and these mystical response are only some abnormal mental state
And somebody will probably say that Love is a myth, it's all really sex and hormones and ****. (Because there's always the same response to this stuff, whether it makes sense of not)

You're talking about some of the most powerful driving forces in the race, but you can't weigh them or take a picture or anything.

Gee.....
Then again you could simply say that love is an abstract concept to account for a particular thought pattern. Much like the letter Zero is an abstract concept for nothing.

morally perfect) with which these arguments are hardly going against some Juvenile conception.

Sure are. Morally perfect? Who cooked that up?

And as opposed to what... your own ideas of morality. The whole "there can't be a God because people starve" is as about as primitive and juvenile a concept as you'd want, other than describing the length of beard and color of bathrobe.

I NEVER see atheists EVER approach any contempory (or even enlightened) idea of God.
Mostly because, I suspect, it's easy to sneer at Zeus on a throne, but harder to take apart something like a universal intelligence or a mind in which our universe is a thought.

What does it prove? Hilarious. I don't usally get my digs endorsed so enthusiastically.

Why not go back and tell me why you beleive that Love or Orgasms exist. Start from there.

Then again you could simply say that love is an abstract concept to account for a particular thought pattern. Much like the letter Zero is an abstract concept for nothing.

LOL
THAT'S the sort of response I expect from atheist geeks.

How do you explain something like an Orgasm to a frigid virgin?

It's the same idea.

Sure are. Morally perfect? Who cooked that up?

And as opposed to what... your own ideas of morality. The whole "there can't be a God because people starve" is as about as primitive and juvenile a concept as you'd want, other than describing the length of beard and color of bathrobe.
So then you are saying that god is evil or that he at the very least indifferent to the universe at times. neither of those ensure much faith by Humanity.

I NEVER see atheists EVER approach any contempory (or even enlightened) idea of God.
Mostly because, I suspect, it's easy to sneer at Zeus on a throne, but harder to take apart something like a universal intelligence or a mind in which our universe is a thought.
Very well then describe a contemporary idea of God for this discussion.

Why not go back and tell me why you believe that Love or Orgasms exist. Start from there.
Because I do. How about you?
LOL
THAT'S the sort of response I expect from atheist geeks.
And that is the response I expect from a person with no logical leg to stand on. So far you have presented almost nothing to justify your position in these arguments beyond name calling.

How do you explain something like an Orgasm to a frigid virgin?
I suppose you can't.

Ok Folks. I've tried to be nice about this and that is clearly not working. So here it is straight down the line.

One more step out of line by anybody and this thread is closed permenantly.

NO form of insult (including atheist geek) to any other member will be tolerated.

You have been warned.

Lin:
... I NEVER see atheists EVER approach any contempory (or even enlightened) idea of God...

So Lin: Please enlighten me in this new thinking, perhaps I've missed something.

Ok Folks. I've tried to be nice about this and that is clearly not working. So here it is straight down the line.

One more step out of line by anybody and this thread is closed permenantly.

NO form of insult (including atheist geek) to any other member will be tolerated.

You have been warned.

Just do it Foxbat. The discussion, such as it is, has clearly run its course.

Oh, I don't think so.

We have Mr. Logical up there with his "I beleive it because I do" thing

Endisnigh wants to brought up to date on the topic he's passing opinions on.

And apparently the same people who use terms like "juvenile" and "farce" to me have whined to the moderators that they can't handle my insults.

(Gosh it's awful to be called an "atheist geek", huh? Computer geek is okay, though, right. It's okay to refer to fundamentalist churchgoers as ignorant, stupid, and repressive...but not to the same features in atheists.

So, I guess there's really not much more I should say here. You're all safe now.

There is a huge difference in addressing someone's argument and using such terms (especially if there is some solid reasoning or evidence behind such a judgment) and using such terms about the person him- or herself. It's the latter you tend to do, Lin, and you well know it, as it's not the first time you've been called on it.

And, as you've just indulged in it yet again...

Thread is now closed.