Book Hauls!

Re: Recent Buys

Susanna Clarke's book is also alarmingly massive. I shall first spend a few weeks toning up my arm muscles (not to mention awaiting reviews from friends who've bought the book) before even contemplating buying it.

A good second hand haul yesterday:

David Mitchell: Ghostwritten - the debut novel by this Booker-nominated author.

David Lindsay: A voyage to Arcturus. One of the books on the Fantasy Masterworks list I haven't read, in a cheaper 70s p'back.

Jack Vance - Maske: Thaery Vance!!! Need I say more.

Philip K Dick: Ubik. An early 1970 paperback edition with nicely hallucinogenic cover art:

ubikcov.jpg

This week, being away with lots of time on aircraft to read, I've had a bonanza. I have bought and read 'Wormwood' - GP Taylor and The Dark Magician trilogy - Trudi Canavan. I'd borrowed and read the first two of these before, but thought them worthy of buying. I also bought and have started Kushiel's Dart - Jacqueline Carey, at the recommendation of someone here, and have bought the tenth book of Jordan's Wheel of Time.

I've read more this week than I have in months. It's been great!:D

A few more second-hand buys:

Jack Vance - The Green Pearl. The 2nd part of Vance's high-fantasy epic, Lyonesse.

Fritz Leiber - The Green Millenium. A light-hearted sf adventure about an invasion of planet Earth, spearheaded by a friendly green cat.

Alexander and Sergei Abromov - Horsemen from Nowhere. SF from the erstwhile Soviet Union.

MA Foster - The Gameplayers of Zan. I have another novel by this author, The Warriors of Dawn, an excellent sf story that has lapsed into undeserved obscurity. I understand that this book is even better.

Received by PR services (for job) :
- the Dream Archipelago by Christopher Priest - Good read
- the Green Phenix byt Thomas Burnet Swann (first time translated in French) - a very good surprise in the fantasy field.
- Several examples of Vampires Chronicles by Anne Rice - not the bests of them, already read it, no worth air time
- the Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson - straight to eBay mint condition
- Some Perry Rhodan and Atlan new episods, authors unremembered
- l'oeuvre du diable by Michel Pagel - good mix between horror, noir and humor unfortunatly untranslated in English so far
- collected stories by Walter Jon Willaims - not read yet
- Sorcery Rising, Fool's Gold by Jude Fisher - painfully reading it before doing a terrible review. So far, the book don't worth the tree sacrified to print it.

Bought: only my usual 50 euros (roughly 60 dollars) monthly bunch of comics. I plan a raid at Bretano's (English book shop in the middle of Paris with a great SSF catalog) next week-end.

I haven't bought many books this month as I still have a stack from the last few months to read. I did purchase Eve, a book written by a poster here named O'Brien and Polar Express( a christmas gift) I just started reading The Tawny Man series that I purchased in the summer. I love Robin Hobbs.

Recently bought

1. Jedi Trail, by David Sherman and Dan Cragg
2. Jedi Medstar II, by Steve Perry and Micheal Reeves
3. The Two Swords, by R.A. Salvatore
4. Hard Contact (Star Wars), by Karen Traviss

I think Waldenbooks just sees me coming. I can't even go to the mall without that darn store drawing me in. My wife won't even let me go to the west side of the mall anymore because I always end up buying something. I guess books are a lot better investment than some things you could spend your money on. I just wish I had more of it, so I could get all the books I wanted! :)

knivesout said:
Susanna Clarke's book is also alarmingly massive. I shall first spend a few weeks toning up my arm muscles (not to mention awaiting reviews from friends who've bought the book) before even contemplating buying it.

A good second hand haul yesterday:

David Mitchell: Ghostwritten - the debut novel by this Booker-nominated author.

David Lindsay: A voyage to Arcturus. One of the books on the Fantasy Masterworks list I haven't read, in a cheaper 70s p'back.

Jack Vance - Maske: Thaery Vance!!! Need I say more.

Philip K Dick: Ubik. An early 1970 paperback edition with nicely hallucinogenic cover art:
That's a pretty good haul. The Ubik looks like the first paperback edition, which I also have. I had a chance to pick up the screenplay but I let it slip by, which I now regret. A Voyage to Arcturus is quite good also. One of the few fantasy novels I've read more than once. The Green Millenium by Fritz Lieber is another one I have. Good eye.

Finally got my hands on "The Wizard and the Glass" the fourth book in Stephen Kings "The Dark Tower" series.

More buys this weekend - Predator's Gold by Philip Reeve, The Amulet of Samarkand by... oh bother! I've forgotten the author's name again! I think his surname is Stroud. Also, I bought Troll Fell by Katherine Langrish, which looks like it should be fun. I've nearly finished reading Kushiel's Dart now, which has taken a while, but I've enjoyed it.

After Kassad's info : Tad Williams Otherworld T3.
And just received by the the PR of Pocket Editions :
Nacy Kreiss- Probality Sun
Pierre Pevel - Les masque de Wielstadt - French uchronical fantasy
Frank Herbert - Destination Void and the Jesus incident
Brian Herbert & Kevin J Anderson - House Atreides

The Jesus Incident (co-written with Bill Ransome) is an excellent book, and the opening round in a trilogy that, I think, easily matches up to Dune. It can be read on its own too, of course.

Angrybuddhist, nice to see someone whose taste within sf/f seems close to my own. I found the Lieber book a bit minor, but very exciting and also charming in a whimsical way. A Voyage to Arcturus strikes me as a book that you simply have to read more than once, if you liked it at all the first time around.

I've gone with some recommendations here and splashed out on Perdido Street Station and Iron Council.

I'll let you know my opinion on them (when I finally get around to actually teading them) :D

knivesout said:
The Jesus Incident (co-written with Bill Ransome) is an excellent book, and the opening round in a trilogy that, I think, easily matches up to Dune. It can be read on its own too, of course.
Yes, it's one of his best. Althought I'm quite partial to Dosadi outside of the Dune saga.

knivesout said:
Angrybuddhist, nice to see someone whose taste within sf/f seems close to my own. I found the Lieber book a bit minor, but very exciting and also charming in a whimsical way. A Voyage to Arcturus strikes me as a book that you simply have to read more than once, if you liked it at all the first time around.
It's been over 10 years since I last read A Voyage to Arcturus, I will have to revisit it soon. Btw, C.S. Lewis wrote in a letter to Charles Brady:

The real father of my planet books is David Lindsay's Voyage to Arcturus, which you will also revel in if you don't know it. I had grown up on Wells's stories of that kind; it was Lindsay who first gave me the idea that the "scientifiction" appeal could be combined with the "supernatural" appeal.

So, I would highly recommend this book to any fan of C.S. Lewis, or any fan of fantasy, for that matter. It is a classic.

i've discovered a cheaper way to buy. and have a few outstanding on e-bay. cross fingers for me.

Fingers are crossed...but are you going to share this new discovery?:D

Well, I've finally picked up Gene Wolfe's The Book Of The New Sun series, in the 2-volume monibus version (Shadow & Claw and Sword & Citadel).

Also bought Hellblazer: Original Sins, which contains Jamie DeLano's original stint as writer for the series.

Eyeing several other books such as the whole of Dan Simmons' Endymion series and various 2nd hand buys as well, but must pay my bills first. Yes indeed.

Bills payed, so here's my haul from the 2nd-hand shops:

John Shirley: Demons
Jack Vance: To Live Forever
Fritz Leiber: The Swords of Lankhmar
John Crowley: Beasts
John Varley: Steel Beach
Michael Moorcock: THe city in the autumn stars
Philip Jose Farmer: To Your Scattered Bodies Go

Some books I'd ordered online a while back just arrived:

The Etched City: KJ Bishop
City of Saints and Madmen: Jeff VanderMeer
Secret Life: Jeff VanderMeer
Newton's Wake: Ken MacLeod

Have just received my copy of The Hidden Stars by Madeline Howard (aka Kelpie). :) Very much looking forward to reading this as soon as I've finished Troll Fell, which is a fun read so far - about half way through. I'll review both books once I've finished them.